Comings and Goings at Tyne Yard

Thank you for the explanation.

I had the wrong end of the stick - what I thought were chute doors on the second wagon are in fact extensions to the chutes. It would make sense that the bulk of the load wasn't retained by small doors on each chute :-)

Perhaps odd that they have different types of wagon in the group of 5; either the set works on third rail territory or it doesn't?

I wondered about that. I wonder how fixed the formation of such trains is?

I had the wrong end of the stick - what I thought were chute doors on the second wagon are in fact extensions to the chutes. It would make sense that the bulk of the load wasn't retained by small doors on each chute :-)

Perhaps odd that they have different types of wagon in the group of 5; either the set works on third rail territory or it doesn't?

"Inner" HQA seem to have the extra chutes, and the "outers" don't - JJA seem to be mostly without, but at least a couple do have them - i've not heard a really compelling reason why the mix of setups though?

Noticed a few days ago that additional fencing was going up all round the yard with security at the main road entrance - apparently a bunch of guys dressed in Network Rail gear drove a flatbed truck in to the yard a couple of weeks ago and made off with over £20,000 worth of gear...

None of which affects access to the bridge so here are some photos from 28 June 2014:

66599 shunting:

0012_zps805d6458.jpg

66952 & 66701:

023_zps124b7001.jpg

0092_zpsc32f01dc.jpg

66200, a regular visitor on the coal trains:

0122_zpsf40efbed.jpg

66559:

037_zps19d29801.jpg

66563:

050_zps72fc48d0.jpg

66510 & 66559:

051_zpsa6a0ee91.jpg

08752:

060_zps1fe52717.jpg

John

• Like 5

Great pics John. I couldn't make it to TY this afternoon, only got as far as the Metro Centre with Mrs A.

However, as I consolation I did see a 66, problem was I couldn't resist buying it at Smiths/Modelzone. Without postage actually cheaper than Hattons!

Your TY thread has got me interested in 66s, much to my surprise. Maybe it's time to move forward  from the 1980s to 'Contemporary Image Modelling'

post-7898-0-01412900-1403971791_thumb.jpg

cheers, Mal

• Like 2

Just to prove it's not all 66s a couple of surprises this afternoon:

This one took me completely by surprise so were taken with the zoom on and without the camera resting on anything so aren't the best but I give you 57313 and 57318:

016_zpse4094ca7.jpg

017_zpsd4dd70c3.jpg

and now something I've not seen for a long time, a Class 60, looking resplendent in DB Schenker livery, 60015 at the south end of Tyne Yard just about to join the mainline:

029_zps94529cef.jpg

031_zps93d723e1.jpg

And back to the 66s, 66527 & 66595 top and tail a train of yellow stuff:

035_zpsc232f76c.jpg

047_zpsd08487f7.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 4

Did they have anymore as I'm after a DB Schenker 66?

John

Sorry, John I got the last one £99.99.  I also picked a Bachmann weathered Polybulk hopper. They have the non-weathered one still in stock. The Polybulks are now hard to find and already starting to sell at inflated prices on e-bay.

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the explanation.

I wondered about that. I wonder how fixed the formation of such trains is?

Hi John, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your excellent TY thread.

The autoballaster sets are usually formed in sets of 5 - the HQA's are semi-permanently coupled with buckeyes within the rake and buffers on the outer two. They are usually formed of generator fitted outer, three inners (with extended chutes" and non-generator outer. The extended chutes are used when the ballast is required a bit further away from the rails.

The "original" autoballasters were modified from KPA hoppers into JJA's. with the later build of HQA's being purpose built. They JJA's are single wagons with buffers at both ends, but still usually marshalled in sets of five and it's not uncommon for the generator to be "mid-set". They are sometimes formed as 4 or 6's, but this isn't too common these days. There are a handful of JJA's with extended chutes.

And the last two (?) batches of HQA's don't have extended chutes either.

There are quite visible differences between the JJA and HQA - the last pic in post#55 is a JJA, recognisable with the chassis mounted handbrake wheel, bogie type and the rectangular brackets on the solebar, just above the hopper doors.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Great pics John. I'm beginning to regret selling my Bachmann 66200, it seems to be a regular at TY.

Mal

Funny you should say that as I'm currently bidding on 66200 on eBay but it looks like it might go for more that I wanted to pay...

John

• RMweb Premium
johndon, on 29 Jun 2014 - 19:21, said:

Funny you should say that as I'm currently bidding on 66200 on eBay but it looks like it might go for more that I wanted to pay...

John

There's another just starting!-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-Gauge-Bachman-class-66-Diesel-66200-DCC-Ready-/201118927243?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ed39f498b

• RMweb Premium

To my surprise, I won the auction and I've just become the owner of a Bachmann 66200, now to work out how to do the faded decals as per the prototype...

John

Try contacting John Peck at Precision Decals - he's done faded EWS numbers/logos for 60024.

Cheers,

Mick