JGA tarmac wagons questions

Looking to weather my JGAs so i have some questions.

Are these still in service or have they been stored? Was the material they carried in a stone or powder state. The pictures ive seen have them in a fairly white and clean condition, do they still look like this? If there are photos of some heavily weathered or distreseed examples i would be in interested in seeing them.

Thank you

Stephen

Hi Stephen, which version do you mean? Those with the closed tops operating out of Grassington quarry in Tarmac white livery and green/yellow stripes or the plain white VTG operated ones that operate for Tarmac out of Tunstead quarry near Buxton. Both would be quite traffic worn after several years in traffic since their last repaints but the Tarmac liveried ones seem to be kept cleaner I think.

Cheers Paul

Looking at photos on Google images the Tarmac liveried wagons are definitely kept a lot cleaner than their cousins working from Tunstead. So you could lightly weather with traffic dirt on the bogies and underframes mixed in with some stone dust around the hopper doors and on the sloping ends of the wagons add a light mix of both. As always it is best to work from some photos to get the right effect.

Cheers Paul

Edited by pharrc20

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Useful question Stephen....I have a rake of these to do.

Useful answer Mick.... They are amazingly clean ! Shame, shame, shame !

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

Here's a distant shot, but clearly shows there isn't much variety along the rake in weathering.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tunnyspics/5858085477/in/photolist-nf9HnS-9VEdHK-9newnc-9newfZ-9newcz-9nhyDE-9nhyzh-eX33Rj-9KeqDU-9KbAdc-9PnixX-a6pZeA-a6pZ67-9Keq5h-9Pq9vA-cA4CsW-cA4sAC-cA4upL-9KeqP9-9KbAmr-9Pni5a-9Pq9mA-cA4uFo-cA4nqh-cA4nD7-cA4m2d-cA4tT7-cA4t6h-cA4mdA-cA4mtm-cA4tn7-cA4tBU-cA4scN-cA4kNq-cA4sQq-cA4mG9-cA4o6w-cA4rY1-cA4kyA-cA4nS1-a6n8fM-cA4kdo-cA4jXW-cnZ8SE-9FrKCo-9FtbEY-muV1pM-hFMmKt-dcNUqi-biAcGZ

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 years later...

The Tarmac liveried hoppers are the ones that were built in Tilcon livery and the grey of this still exists on the ends as the sides were the only bit repainted!

There are also the former Buxton Lime (BLI now prefixed VTG) and repainted white or off white open topped hoppers working with these out of Rhylstone .

Mark Saunders