Diversions on S&C

narrowman

• RMweb Premium

From 'Friends of the Settle & Carlisle Line' site:

West Coast Main Line diversions

Several Virgin Voyagers have been seen on the Settle-Carlisle Line over the Easter weekend.  Unusually, we haven't been able to get detailed timetabling information from our usual sources so haven't been able to notify people in advance.  The Virgin web site doesn't say much either.

We think there may be other diversions during April.  This could explain why we've often seen light engines travelling up and down the S&C in recent weeks: Virgin drivers refreshing their route knowledge?

I would be surprised if any of the yards had a specific shunter at any time in the line's history, let alone now (with the possible exception of specific industrial shunters, I suppose). I have seen a shot of an 08 working an engineering train on the line in the early 60's but that's it.

Time period;  around 2000 to present. Especially interested in freight.

I'll be riding the S&C at the end of the month. Last time I visited Dent was February, in the snow... 

Narrowman

Hello Narrowman

I've plenty of stuff for the 90s, however, a gradual loss of interest in the "modern" rail network and working every weekend 2001-5 led me to believe I had no info to help you..... However, I've just discovered that the last diversions I photographed were early 2000.

I bought a slide copier a couple of months ago so I'll try and get around to making copies and post a few here. There's only a limited variety of locos, liveries and stock with on one occasion 37611 on standby duty at Garsdale, not Blea Moor as in earlier years. Most of the locos being used on the diversions appear to been RES 47/7s-ex 770, 772 786, 739, 792 also 701 which may be Waterman livery (it's in the distance!) and Virgin 47/8s-ex 829, 845. Gypsum-ex 66141, 66118.

The only freight to run (with these diversions) was the regular Gypsum traffic which at that time was very busy... up to 3 trains a day, 6 days a week.

A friend has continued to visit the line to watch and occasionally photograph diversions. More recently they seem to have become a token gesture by Virgin Trains to provide a rail service with maybe a couple of pendolino drags and a couple of Voyagers with the majority of passengers packed onto buses.

He has had working timetables for diversion days and these have shown booked freight diversions but to quote him "nothing has ever turned up".

Sandsides info, IIRC, is correct re 08s.

Enjoy your visit to the line, the scenery is unbeatable although unfortunately freight traffic is very infrequent at present. 

Here are a few photos showing diversions during early 2000.

Sorry the quality is'n't too good - a combination of my not taking care of my slides and dull winter days

The first batch are from January 22nd.

These are-

1 47792 Grisburn Viaduct

2 47829 Appleby

3 47770 Appleby

4 47786 Birkett Fell  Euston-Glasgow

5 47829 Birkett

6 47739    "         Excursion

7 47792 Ais Gill   Birmingham-Glasgow

8 37611 Garsdale  Standby loco

9 66118 Birkett   Gypsum

post-13274-0-17464500-1403388000.jpg

post-13274-0-99481400-1403388025.jpg

post-13274-0-53839600-1403388059.jpg

post-13274-0-79929600-1403388091.jpg

post-13274-0-41354800-1403388150.jpg

post-13274-0-46288600-1403388167.jpg

post-13274-0-49632400-1403388183.jpg

post-13274-0-48182200-1403388517.jpg

post-13274-0-78908100-1403388550.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Very few WCML diversions are via the S&C these days. (I live next to the Hellifield-lackburn line, which is the continuation of the S&C WCML diversion route.)
The usual reaction to any problems on the WCML is bustitution although there is an irregular Voyager that may traverse the S&C. These are becoming less common as less and less Virgin drivers sign the S&C. As an aside, it's becoming more common for the main line TOC's such as Virgin and XC to reduce the diversionary routes as it's apparently more cost-effective to use buses than maintain route knowledge for routes that aren't regularly used by their drivers.

Freight diversions are slightly more common, but they only regularly occur for planned works (often overnight) on the WCML.

There haven't been any pendo drags for a few years now and AAFAIIA, the route isn't cleared for nukes. I've never see or heard of one this way in over 20 years of living next to the line.
There's certainly no 08's along the route and the ony freight yard you may see something is Ribblehead on a Friday if they're loading a log train. The gypsum plant at Newbiggin employs the train loco (usually a DBS 66) to move it around.

Current regular interest is the Wednesday "Fellsman" steam hauled trip.

www.realtimetrains.co.uk will give you a daily update.

Cheer,
Mick

Perhaps someone will confirm (or deny) this,- IIRC, some of the newer intermodal flats aren't cleared to run via the S&C. In recent years this has led to 1-2 intermodal diversions running via the Tyne Valley Line. I remember seeing these, and photographing them using this route on Saturdays when the WCML was blocked and passenger services were being diverted over the S&C, 

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps someone will confirm (or deny) this,- IIRC, some of the newer intermodal flats aren't cleared to run via the S&C. In recent years this has led to 1-2 intermodal diversions running via the Tyne Valley Line. I remember seeing these, and photographing them using this route on Saturdays when the WCML was blocked and passenger services were being diverted over the S&C, 

The only intermodal flats I've seen on diversions were the IFA (?) Megafret or similar that are used on the Daventry Tesco service. The other regular flats are FKA twins on gypsum services, with various FEA types when GBRf were running the service. A rake of KFA's (of the Tiphook variety, identical to the Hornby model) have also appeared on the gypsum.

It may be an issue with certain types of high containers on low flats - I don't know the "W" gauge clearance for the route.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived