The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

What Train-Safe do people use for Peco code 75? Been considering the Travel system for my Bachmann and Hornby multiple units.

Thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy,

makes no difference on what code of track you use, the Travel has it's own built in track and is also the powered version same as the Vision.

You will need a track adapter for it, GA-H02L-P75 Peco-Code 75 1,9 mm, works with code 100 also, basically just brass square section you may or may not find the connection a bit iffy but I just soldered a 70mm stub of Peco set-track to it then connect as normal, Done this also with the Trix C-Track also, at least you don't loose the adapter.

Hope it's of some help,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought a 1.2m TravelSafe at the same time. The TravelSafe needs quite a lot of real estate to open it up - about 8 inches of width and this makes it much harder to use than a TrainSafe Vision on the top of a layout. What I really need is a dedicated siding off the main line, with the track adaptor fixed at the end of the siding.

I used the TravelSafe at the weekend to take another train round to a friend's house, it carried the train perfectly but we had to lift the stock out and put it back in manually. The TravelSafe would be brilliant for club use if everyone had a track adaptor on their layout.

- Richard.

Hi all,

Great to see this thread is still going. I never thought it would be this long-lasting...

-Jason

Just goes to show what a great model it is, Although got a bit side tracked especially with Trainsafe's Travel's and Vision's, but there popularity and interest has grown because of E-Train.

• RMweb Premium

Made my own train safe for about £5

It would be great if you could post up some pictures. I bought a length of pipe cover to try to make a travel case, and it ended up cut to length then taken to the dump. I decided I needed the rigidity of the TravelSafe.

- Richard.

I made a carry case for my E-Train from electrical conduit, the sort that has a clip on lid. I chose some heavy duty conduit so the lid STAYS clipped on, despite many people's pessimism about that happening. I've posted the pics before, but they bear repeating after almost a year.

kUfGMu.jpg

Top view of the case with the lid un-clipped and the access hatch disconnected on the right.

Br6fCI.jpg

Naturally, me being me, I gave the access hatch a sloped end and painted the whole thing like E-Train.  :D 

HP1PaE.jpg

My model getting ready to leave the case. Note the foam padding to protect it.

xZlxpM.jpg

Head-on view of the 'cab'.  :D 

DsCIF1.jpg

E-Train leaving the case with the aid of a Peco Loco-Lift.

• Like 4

I remember that Kit, Did you ever do one for your Turbo Train?

Not yet Craig, but I have enough conduit to do so as it's only a three car train of course. 

It would make sense as, if anything, the Turbo is even more difficult to put together than the E-Train model! It has two 'whiskers' right at the bottom of each single axle 'bogie' that have to be aligned with some 'eyelet' thingies on the ends of the coach bodies. Not easy...........

• Like 1

Not yet Craig, but I have enough conduit to do so as it's only a three car train of course. 

It would make sense as, if anything, the Turbo is even more difficult to put together than the E-Train model! It has two 'whiskers' right at the bottom of each single axle 'bogie' that have to be aligned with some 'eyelet' thingies on the ends of the coach bodies. Not easy...........

Sounds easier to build the transport tube than to set the Turbo Train up, didn't realise it was only a 3 car unit, Seen a YouTube video of one 20+ maybe more, best I can remember in white and also the yellow version doing a massive running stint flawlessly, beautiful setup I'll try to track it down,

My Turbo is the prototype, which only had three cars to start with, but I believe they added more later on.

Jason included a fascinating book about the real thing with the model, just as he did with the E-Train, and it makes very interesting reading. Rapido updated the model with a new motor and transmission later in the production run and mine is one of the later ones apparently. The sound chip is awesome, you can even chose to have the spoken announcements in English or French!  :O

I suggested to Bill and Jason that I may paint one side of my Turbo in silver with a blue stripe running up and over the cab, with a yellow nose too of course.  :D

Much hysteria on their part  as a result.  :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The announcements on the Turbo should be in BOTH English and French.

Funny thing about the Turbo (I've mentioned it before) It was built lower than other stock in Canada, in fact lower than the high level platforms in Montreal station.  The other station it ran to was Toronto, with low level platforms. They had to put a ramp behind every door that lifted out and down in Toronto and out and up in Montreal. AFAIK only Montreal (and possibly Ottawa) have high platforms.

Funny thing about the Turbo (I've mentioned it before) It was built lower than other stock in Canada, in fact lower than the high level platforms in Montreal station.  The other station it ran to was Toronto, with low level platforms. They had to put a ramp behind every door that lifted out and down in Toronto and out and up in Montreal. AFAIK only Montreal (and possibly Ottawa) have high platforms.

If it was built lower than the high level platforms, people couldn’t see if it was in the station. :D

(Going to hide in a trench somewhere.)

Indicating a severe lack of standardisation on the part of Canadian railways I'd say.

Or was it a political issue, French Canadiennes v English Canadian?

After reading some posts on how to get the higher level Function keys on an NCE Powercab on the DEMU Forum recently, I took my E-Train model to my club today to give it a go on the DCC test track.

While I was able to get the controller to do what it was supposed to do at last, I STILL haven't heard the tilt packs start up! [i can't find a 'Grrrrrr' emoticon....]

I did hear the Easter Egg though, magic stuff.  :good: It's even got me on it!  :D

Two of the club members there were SERIOUSLY impressed, never having seen an E-Train model before, and they were astonished at the price Jason and Co. had sold it at. One reckoned it'd have sold just as well at £600 each.

• Like 1

Hi, I have the Rapido APT-E silent version, I've had it from new but TC-2 has never shown any life in it, it's totally dead...TC-1 is fine and will work without being connected to TC-2, the coach linked to TC-1 is also fine and has lights but the coach linked to TC-2 has no lights...anyone any idea where the problem might lie and how to fix it?