Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Clive I would never want to be in the RTR business, there are some very vocal people who are just NEVER happy and it seems you just can't win.  I wrote the following on Tony's thread last year, summing up how I see the RTR market these days:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Here look, have a go at one of these, don't be scared....".

While fully agreeing modellers should have ago at modelling I do realise there are some who have ten right thumbs and no matter how hard they try.

My rant is more about those who can except something visually wrong as long as it sounds and looks like a 1970s disco.

Anyhow I have run some trains for the first time in ages. I might even do some modelling soon.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

While fully agreeing modellers should have ago at modelling I do realise there are some who have ten right thumbs and no matter how hard they try.

My rant is more about those who can except something visually wrong as long as it sounds and looks like a 1970s disco.

Anyhow I have run some trains for the first time in ages. I might even do some modelling soon.

For goodness sake Clive, would that be a TOPS or pre Tops 1970's disco, there must be some sort of piffling difference you know !!!!!

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

For goodness sake Clive, would that be a TOPS or pre Tops 1970's disco, there must be some sort of piffling difference you know !!!!!

Gibbo.

To be honest I don't know, too busy looking at the blonde wiggling her bottom.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well mine is 2003 and sounds like a truck!

• Funny 1

Two things.

Is it a proper landy? A proper land rover doesn't leak, it marks it's teretry.

And what model discussion prompted the comment on the previous page? Just want to watch some of the comments passed lol. 

Although my modelling runs to the does it look like what I want? If it does, I can over look some errors, but some to me stand out too much (I like my Heljan tubby Duff's but also am a fan of the old Lima ones as well, even though both have errors). Sometimes I am even able to correct the errors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Two things.

Is it a proper landy? A proper land rover doesn't leak, it marks it's teretry.

And what model discussion prompted the comment on the previous page? Just want to watch some of the comments passed lol. 

Although my modelling runs to the does it look like what I want? If it does, I can over look some errors, but some to me stand out too much (I like my Heljan tubby Duff's but also am a fan of the old Lima ones as well, even though both have errors). Sometimes I am even able to correct the errors.

Disco is slang for Discovery.

Well the front half of chassis is not rusty, due to cam shaft access hole bung failures (now sealed in).

My 47s are mix of Hornby. Lima and Heljan and I still need 3 more 47s to have enough.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MJI said:

Disco is slang for Discovery.

Well the front half of chassis is not rusty, due to cam shaft access hole bung failures (now sealed in).

My 47s are mix of Hornby. Lima and Heljan and I still need 3 more 47s to have enough.

Only 3 more duffs? Come on, you can always find a reason for one more extra lol.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Only 3 more duffs? Come on, you can always find a reason for one more extra lol.

You only have too many Brush 4s when you have 513, some might say when you have 511, as there were only 510 in service at one time. Two being accident withdrawals before all had been built.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
to should have two oo in the the first sentance.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

You only have too many Brush 4s when you have 513, some might say when you have 511, as there were only 510 in service at one time. Two being accident withdrawals before all had been built.

I'm some way off the mark, by, erm, about 510, give or take....

I model early 70s diesels but strangely, don't have a "Duff" at this moment in time.

Martyn.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I model early 70s diesels but strangely, don't have a "Duff" at this moment in time.

Martyn.

:swoon:   :swoon:   :swoon:   :swoon:  :swoon:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Martyn.

That’s ‘cos you’ve got far more interesting examples!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Martyn.

That made me think. There probably weren't that many in Scotland at the time you're modelling. Some coming up the ECML and WCML from England to Edinburgh and Glasgow, but not a lot more. If memory serves Haymarket had a small allocation, something like D1968 - D1974??, but that was it. Elsewhere they were of course in abundance.

Yet another reason Scotland was such a wonderful place to visit c.1970, I only wish I'd been older and had a proper camera.

John.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

What would they do?

Sit there doing little?

Got 50s and peaks for passenger.

Need 37s for freight

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

If memory serves Haymarket had a small allocation, something like D1968 - D1974??, but that was it.

Haymarket D1968-76 from 1965. I don't think they ever had more than 9 at once in the 1970s.

There were occasional loans to Scottish sheds for crew training but no permanent allocations until later times. A few Crewe based ones were used going north but these were replaced by Class 50s until electrification. I don't think the LMR had any permanent allocation north of Crewe. LMR Western Lines Power Controller had the largest allocation in 1967 but these were later reallocated to Stoke Division.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I have the belief that unless you model deep into stabiliser rail territory (where they need 3 rails or they fall over), any layout set in BR between the end of the 60s to mid 80s need examples of 08, Sulzer engined rat (even if just the Mcrat version), 31, 37 and 47. That plus the humble bog cart were everywhere. Even the peds invaded choc & cream land when the overgrown small sprinters were converted to razor blades. 

As for having one more than needed, you can always use it as a change over for a existing one on the roster so having a different version show up on the same diagram. Or as one pinched by control from somewhere to replace a failure along the line.

Even the WR had duffs allocated there from new. Areas that never had duffs allocated would have had them visit on through trains. As long as the crew knew the traction, area control were not above borrowing visiting engines if needed. And strange traction not known to the local crew or troublesome locos would be sent home ASAP.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I have the belief that unless you model deep into stabiliser rail territory (where they need 3 rails or they fall over), any layout set in BR between the end of the 60s to mid 80s need examples of 08, Sulzer engined rat (even if just the Mcrat version), 31, 37 and 47. That plus the humble bog cart were everywhere. Even the peds invaded choc & cream land when the overgrown small sprinters were converted to razor blades. 

As for having one more than needed, you can always use it as a change over for a existing one on the roster so having a different version show up on the same diagram. Or as one pinched by control from somewhere to replace a failure along the line.

Even the WR had duffs allocated there from new. Areas that never had duffs allocated would have had them visit on through trains. As long as the crew knew the traction, area control were not above borrowing visiting engines if needed. And strange traction not known to the local crew or troublesome locos would be sent home ASAP.

We did have few 47s but not hundreds. On NESW and NWSW trains just as likely to have a peak.

Within region a 50.

So number of 47s would be similar to peaks and 50s.

I can get away with 1 or so 25. But I need a lot of 37s

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

That was why the WR always tried to put a 52 on the Stoke Clayliner. Bescot would always send it back with the empties. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to do some running tonight. I did some modelling and glued up the sides of a Gresley Buffet.

Recently I haven't been doing much modelling but here are the parts for some projects that I will be undertaking and a couple of new locos.

003a.jpg.4d087edf069ce2eb1d0df5516bf4a627.jpg

45515, "Caernarvon" It will keep this identity. It was a holiday to Caernarvon in 1966 where the journey there and back was exciting, DMUs EMUs, diesel, steam and electric locos. It was that holiday that really got me going on a lifetimes journey of loving railways.

005a.jpg.da6606c52274ea16c232ef9b2eaf7865.jpg

An Ivatt "Drag and Shove" fitted loco to go with my push-me pull-you set of coaches.

007a.jpg.0ef0438a03b4842ccb73386f6f60efe8.jpg

I was going to convert this loco to a Push Pull version, anyone got any idea what I will be doing to it?

011a.jpg.9bc96b3649f61a4dcfb48bbb789a8d0e.jpg

Another planned conversion, to what? Extra points if you can guess which one?

009a.jpg.eab9da271a025b90227e919058c2fcf3.jpg

OK it is going to be a Shire class D49/1 but which one. The tender needs motorising as the loco is an old shove along one.

010a.jpg.ed1e8ef9cf9c5d356948efcd58b340e0.jpg

What will this lot morph into?

• Like 9