Arnsley junction

mason

Hi all

It's been a while since I have posted anything in way of a layout since Werrington road left my hands in March.

A lot of this has been down to the little layout company and the amount of work I have had the pleasure of doing.

It seems a lull in orders has ment that I can finally start something for myself to play about with.

Keeping with my little layout OCD I thought I would do a small board to tinker on.

The main scenic board is 4ft x 10"

There will be 2 further fiddle boards at 2ft, one at each end.

I liked how the double fiddle worked on Werrington road and I think it will add good operating potential to this also.

The plan below ( very crude ) explains things a little better.

A small through station for DMU services with a second line from the left for passing freight and a small siding to the right just to store the odd engineer train in.

Small rakes and a little shunting can work to.

Iv loosely based it on cavs outon road in it's first stage form.

The boards are built from some off cut ply and soft wood frame.

This time round I have returned to peco track, purely as I have two boxes of flex and some points sat in a box and I wanted to get something up and running quickly and easily.

I will power the points and may use the peco PL 100 system just to see how it works.

This project will also act as a test bed to really hone my electrical skills. They are my weakest point by far and a few recent events have proven that so I want to take my time with this side of things to ensure I get it right and working. I may also add some working colour signals when I work out were they go.

Anyway enough if the typing, here are a few pics of progress.

The main board is built and track laid

post-6696-0-74066600-1403640568_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-96668800-1403640587_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-63137100-1403640613_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-20358800-1403640634_thumb.jpg

I will also post pics on the little layout Facebook page.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Chris, George and Hugh

I'll try and keep the progress and pics going, it might be a slow burner but knowing me once I get going it will be done in months haha

Always open to comments etc

Quick question, i want to put some signalling on this layout, could anyone tell me were it would be positioned and what kind i would need. im not sure if to go with colour aspects or arm style signals.

also were would the rodding or trunking for it go etc.

Cheers in advance

Class.

After our PM  - just caught up on the new thread

Amongst other things about Outon Road was the excellent sloping gradient of track to the siding that was good and innovative - something I took on board for a couple (ill fated) projects.

Cheers

Ian

Class.

After our PM  - just caught up on the new thread

Amongst other things about Outon Road was the excellent sloping gradient of track to the siding that was good and innovative - something I took on board for a couple (ill fated) projects.

Cheers

Ian

That's something I'm not going to replicate as I feel it was unique to outon and I'm not out to replicate that as much as I'd love to I could never do it justice without buying the actually layout haha

Neil is back !

Hey mate, yep I'm back, I felt it wrong to put customers work under my own name on here hence the lack of activity , but this one is all mine.

Little update while I'm here, just got the back board, at 6.5" it's a little short but I had it sat in the shed at the perfect length so it may work once I decide on a nice photo backscene.

I should get some power into it this week and Cav has given me the signal ideas I need too

Hi, had a bit of time on the layout today.

Iv spent a little time marking the exits and platform and were to put a disused signal box in using card so I can get everything right before I start chopping plastic up.

I'm still not sure about the signal box yet, I'm trying to not fill spaces with buildings and I might just do grass and trees across that space.

post-6696-0-90452500-1404052220_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-18287200-1404052240_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-86354600-1404052264_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-88770500-1404052283_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-74221700-1404052418_thumb.jpg

What's people's thoughts

Cheers

Had a good day on the layout today, having got out of work due to parts shortages I got the layout outside with the intention of getting the scenic board wired up.

With the wiring complete in a matter of an hr I decided to start on the two exits/entrances.

Iv built the carcasses from scrap ply to keep it light and then used some sheets of slaters stone to clad the ply.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome , just a few bits to tidy up and file but it's pretty much ready to paint.

I also had time to run some wood through the band saw for the platform.

post-6696-0-48743300-1404148656_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-49418900-1404148672_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-71992700-1404148701_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-95146000-1404148718_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-18171300-1404148736_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-93561400-1404148777_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-66962700-1404148803_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-81214300-1404148825_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-30758500-1404148847_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-76471600-1404148871_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-03557100-1404148894_thumb.jpg

I have got the backscene on its way nd hopefully get it fitted over the weekend.

This should give the layout some nice depth given its very narrow width.

Pics to follow once fitted, does anyone have any tips on application??

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Looking good! Couple of questions if you don't mind:

How do you cut the curves in the plasticard for the arches?

Are you going to add any extra stones to represent the actual arch itself? - and if so, I'd like to see how!

Looking good! Couple of questions if you don't mind:

How do you cut the curves in the plasticard for the arches?

Are you going to add any extra stones to represent the actual arch itself? - and if so, I'd like to see how!

Hi Rich

Any questions are greatly received and i will try and answer them the best i can

The curves on the plasticard were made by basically using a tin to create the curve by placing it on top for the desired curved and drawing round it.

Not sure if its the correct way or the correct type of curve but it works for me.

To be honest i havent thought about the bricks on top of the curve, and i hadnt actually planned on fitting any.

Kind of put doubt in my mind of if it needs it and how id actually do it, if it can be done they would have to be lay over the top and im not sure that would look right.

Thanks, just wondering what you use to cut the sheet - knife or saw blade? I've got Wills sheets to do a bridge & they're somewhat thicker that Slater's.....

To cut it a used a scalpel, alot easier than a stanley and alot thinner and more precise.

the slaters is alot thinner so the scalpel works well, with the wills stuff iv not tried it on that, it midgt take a few fine passes, or maybe a small craft knife would work better

This looks great!! another follower here,ive also made start on photo plank... :no:

cheers neil.

Thanks mate, followers are always good look forward to seeing your project too

Hi Neil

looks  like its starting to take shape.

Keep up with photos

Hugh

Thanks Hugh

It will be slow progress now as there is a customer build I am starting over the coming weeks.

Hopefully get the backscene on this weekend and the brick work painted up.

Iv not even done the fiddle yards yet haha

Hi all a little update.

Finally got the backscene on, after ordering the wrong height I decided to chop and make it fit.

All in all it's come out ok.

I have also started the small signal box kit from Lcut creative who do some cool laser cut wood kits for model railways, I wanted to test there kits out before I used them on a customers project.

It's only partially built as I wait for the correct colour paint but it gives the impression of what I want it to look like.

I have also trimmed the station and put an edge along it, I'm going to use some nice fine wet n dry sand paper to make the platform top.

Few pics

post-6696-0-27989000-1405017050_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-52495100-1405017070_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-20420600-1405017088_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-50337400-1405017106_thumb.jpgpost-6696-0-71986200-1405017125_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil

For curved bricks, you could try the flexible sheets from Wills. These are much thinner than their standard sheets and designed for this purpose. I use these sheets for all my brickwork on buildings as the brick definition is very good, plus being thinner, easier to cut with a scalpel. Of course needs a plasticard base as these sheets are otherwise too thin.

Good work on the layout. I had a look at the Lcut Creation website ~ looks like some good stuff on there. Will be interested to see how the signal box turns out.

Thanks Richard i will go and have a look for some today i think it needs it now iv looked at it a few times.

Iv started the signal box, it is a little fiddly and the parts, especially the windows are quite fine but they really look good, i need to get some glazing for them as well.

it does look like ti goes together nice and neatly and the corners look good too.

I have painted all the parts separatly as i think is best practice really with something like this.

I was pleasently impresssed that they supply all the parts for steps either side of the signal box too.

Hopefully have some more updates on it over the weekend.

Im goin to try and scratch build an interior too and one of your little offices would look cool next to it as a lamp hut :)

Hi all a little update.

Finally got the backscene on, after ordering the wrong height I decided to chop and make it fit.

All in all it's come out ok.

I have also started the small signal box kit from Lcut creative who do some cool laser cut wood kits for model railways, I wanted to test there kits out before I used them on a customers project.

It's only partially built as I wait for the correct colour paint but it gives the impression of what I want it to look like.

I have also trimmed the station and put an edge along it, I'm going to use some nice fine wet n dry sand paper to make the platform top.

Few pics

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Easy error regards backscene height ordering....! 15" and 9" variants - looks excellent though - always been a fan of id (International Models) - just caught up with your question about application - I have started to use double sided tape but even this is liable to bubbling in  damp conditions - they do have a range of resistant satin printed ones which I will be trying soon.

Instead of sandpaper for the platform try the Wills paving slab sheets -  spray all over then wire wool the paint off  - it leaves residue in the cracks and you can leave streaks on the surface add small tufts where the cracks are - looks quite convincing on a bridge I have done on the Invergowrie (or whatever it started as) layout which will be for sale soon and will go better with the signalbox.

Ian

Archived