Retailers in London?

LU_fan

As my family is planning a trip to London in a month or two, and i would love to be able to buy atleast one LU model, i was wondering if there are any retailers there selling them? Preferably i would like to buy a ready to run model, but as i don't know of any battery locos that are rtr i might just buy something else instead.

There have been several 'model shops in London? ' threads on here recently and frankly there are almost none, but for what you want, the LT Museum shop in Covent Garden can supply EFE diecast (actually plastic body) of 1938 or 1959/62 stock, and is probably your best bet, otherwise Ian Allan in lower Marsh, quite near Waterloo has quite a few LU books and a handful of models.

Jon.

If you want any rtr LU models your choices are the LU150 limited edition Bachmann models (Prairie Tank L150, Pannier Tank L94 and class 20s 20189 & 20227) from the LT museum or if any shop has any left of the Bachmann Midnight Metropolitan Train Sets which contain a LT Pannier Tank, two wagons and a LT brake van.

Heljan are releasing the Metropolitan Railway Bo-Bo electric loco next year.

Thanks guys.

Jonhall: Having checked out the Ian Allan website i couldn't find any model rolling stock, LU or otherwise. But i might check them out anyway. The LT Museum is a must.

Paul.Uni: I might pick up a Class 20, or maybe even an L94 Pannier. As i said, the LT Museum is a must for me. As for the Heljan model, i am really looking forward to it.

Horsetan: Well... That's a shame. I'm not very good with kit building as they mostly stop somewhere along the line due to lack of interest.

Lord of Narnia: The thing there is that we will be in London from the evening of August 1st to the evening of August 6th, and i can't afford to spend to much on it. I've seen the Radley website, and although i could technically afford buying an RTR battery loco from them i don't know if i could afford the additional shipping cost to Sweden. That's part of the reason why i would prefer to buy something in a store.

Thanks, i think i'll need it. But after the various replies i've had, and after checking out the various websites, i think that the LT Museum might actually be the one and only place that sell LU models in store.

You should go to the LT Museum shop in Covent Garden. Admission to the shop is free.

They have all the models mentioned by others, as well as some of the ex-GWR Pannier tanks in LT livery for sale,and the Midnight Metropolitan set, there are two different sets with differnet running numbers. I'm not sure which they will have in stock. They also have a specially commissioned set of the EFE static 1962 Tube Stock Northern Line 4 car set and also the 2013 EFE release of the 1962 Tube Stock Piccadilly Line 4 car set.

I think that's what i'll do. As we will be going in August i've sent them an e-mail with some questions regarding the EFE sets.

My intention is to get them rolling so i can drive them on shows.

Off topic(ish). I see that you will be in London when the first Steam On The Underground event is on the 2nd August. If you don't already know about it, there is info on http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events-calendar/heritage-vehicles-outings

There may a LT Museum 'pop-up shop' at Moorgate station during the event, selling souvenirs of the event (it might include models). There certainly was during the January runs last year.

You may be interested in looking at the LT Museum shop website before going to visit, to see the models available and prices: https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models.html.

I still await the opportunity visit the museum.....  Here on the Cardigan Bay coast I may as well be in Sweden!

Enjoy your visit!

Graham

I have looked through that site several times over the past few days, and i am finding it pretty hard to choose what set to buy. If it's still available by the time i get there that is. I like the IoW set with the dinosaur livery, but i also love the 1938 stock. However i have long thought about making a model of the Epping-Ongar shuttle, meaning i'd need either the 1959/1962 stock set, or the newly announced 1960 stock from Radley.

.....but your beer is probably cheaper!!!

Most likely i'd say.

Being in the USA, I bought my EFE cars by mail order from Hattons. Service was prompt.

I had checked the LT museum shop out on a many years earlier visit to London, but found the stock then to be a mish-mash of individual mis-matched car liveries, with no complete matching 4 car sets possible.

I do understand now that they are only sold as matched set packs, so at least that problem should be resolved.

Andy

I checked that out actually, and i was thinking of booking a trip on the train. However, it depends on when you have to pay for it.

You have to pay when you book your tickets. If there are any tickets left on the day I'd expect you would be able to buy them then.

However if you can't get tickets for the steam train you can always see it. :locomotive:

You have to pay when you book your tickets. If there are any tickets left on the day I'd expect you would be able to buy them then.

However if you can't get tickets for the steam train you can always see it. :locomotive:

Ah, well... I'll have to see about that then. Like you say, even if i don't ride it, i can still see it. And trust me, i will be bringing my camera.  :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that someone posted a similiar question on a Swedish forum, but regarding N-scale. One member suggested visiting Wheels of Steel, and i was wondering if there is any point in going there to try to find some LUL stock?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Give Metro Models a try if you want something motorised.  I know he doesn't have a shop but he takes the stress out of making a EFE set running.

Julian Sprott

Thanks guys.

Having checked out the Ian Allan website i couldn't find any model rolling stock, LU or otherwise. But i might check them out anyway.

Hi,

Ian Allan don't advertise models on their website for some reason. The London shop (about 25mins walk from Covent Garden or 5mins on the bus) has quite a large range of models including the LU models but obviously stock varies. The shop is quite large and is about a 65/35 split between books, magazines and dvds / models. It's also 1min away from the Waterloo and City stock loading area. You can peer through the mesh and see them down below.

HTH

Tom

Give Metro Models a try if you want something motorised.  I know he doesn't have a shop but he takes the stress out of making a EFE set running.

Julian Sprott

I'm trying to save on the costs. I might ship the bogies to him anyway as i lack most of the tools needed to upgrade them.

Hi,

Ian Allan don't advertise models on their website for some reason. The London shop (about 25mins walk from Covent Garden or 5mins on the bus) has quite a large range of models including the LU models but obviously stock varies. The shop is quite large and is about a 65/35 split between books, magazines and dvds / models. It's also 1min away from the Waterloo and City stock loading area. You can peer through the mesh and see them down below.

HTH

Tom

Strange. But they do have LU models? I wonder why they aren't on the site?

I'm trying to save on the costs. I might ship the bogies to him anyway as i lack most of the tools needed to upgrade them.

John from Metromodels works for LT in central London. I don't know, but he might be willing to meet you somewhere and swap un-converted for converted to save you postage? You could always ask him.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

If you want something done, I have been to Stockholm regularly for a day trip via Ryanair, I can always bring it over and meet you in the city.

Strange. But they do have LU models? I wonder why they aren't on the site?

They do, but I haven't been in for a couple of months so can't say if they have any instock at the moment. I'm sure they'd be happy to help if you drop them an email though.

Cheers

Tom

Archived