So far so good. Finally got some time to sort out Bluey's 'face'. Paintwork is still very rough at the minute - I blocked the parts in as I built them. I'll have a good tidy later.

post-23197-0-55240700-1409307255_thumb.jpg

I've added AWS pipe and lubricator arms.

post-23197-0-72381600-1409307275_thumb.jpg

Here's how I made up the smokebox door handles. Glued to fuse wire:

post-23197-0-55607000-1409308126_thumb.jpg

After a lot of chin rubbing and head scratching I decided on yellow buffer beams, reasoning that BR would probably have adopted this scheme if main line steam had survived. The Vale of Rheidol engines had red buffers but I figure that's perhaps because they were an 'outpost' and not so subservient to BR laws. A bit like the Stratford 'red buffer beam' incident. I think it's unlikely BR would have spent money on red paint when there was plenty of yellow kncoking about and as steam's lifespan was very finite these loco's would not have been too high on any priority list when it came to designing a snappy livery.

I figured I can always return them to red if I'm not happy with them. But then when I actually applied the yellow the engine kinda 'came to life'!

The yellow buffer beam certainly brings it out alot :)

It certainly does at that.

So far so good. Finally got some time to sort out Bluey's 'face'. Paintwork is still very rough at the minute - I blocked the parts in as I built them. I'll have a good tidy later.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140829_104155.jpg

I've added AWS pipe and lubricator arms.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140829_104249.jpg

Here's how I made up the smokebox door handles. Glued to fuse wire:

attachicon.gifIMG_20140823_141125.jpg

After a lot of chin rubbing and head scratching I decided on yellow buffer beams, reasoning that BR would probably have adopted this scheme if main line steam had survived. The Vale of Rheidol engines had red buffers but I figure that's perhaps because they were an 'outpost' and not so subservient to BR laws. A bit like the Stratford 'red buffer beam' incident. I think it's unlikely BR would have spent money on red paint when there was plenty of yellow kncoking about and as steam's lifespan was very finite these loco's would not have been too high on any priority list when it came to designing a snappy livery.

I figured I can always return them to red if I'm not happy with them. But then when I actually applied the yellow the engine kinda 'came to life'!

I'm scratching my head even more now, yellow or red: "they probably still had lots of red kicking around the workshops and paintshops", plenty of yellow, of course.  I can't decide if the running plate should be blue or black.

Was thinking of doing the numbers on a red panel as a nod to XP64 as a red panel on the tender sides would look silly.  Not too good at lining up numbers with problems with hands and all so would print them out onto transfer paper.

That then throws in the question - should the underframes and so on would be in brown?

Whilst I was thinking about keeping it as Evening Star (TOPS 98920) but 92214 has had several liveries very recently...

Sorry but it has to be red for me, at about the same time Diesels 1970s-80s some of them still had red buffer beams (when you could see them under the crud).

The yellow was introduced to help Pway staff see the Diesels and Electrics approaching as they made a lot less noise.  

OzzyO.

PS. I've just seen your post, hanging plates Blue, frames any colour you like as long as it's muck.  Blue wheels ???????????????????? Red rods???????? Hang on this is now the W.D.

I may yet go back to red buffer beams, I dunno. Red's more prototypical looking and more sober. I just had to try the yellow first to see how it looked.

It's a tricky one. I had a look round to see if there might be a hint of an abandoned blue steam colour scheme knocking about from the 1960's before steam was finally swept away. All I have to go on is the Vale of Rheidol and, as I say, it's difficult to tell how regulated they were by BR head office - being sort of 'exceptional'.

How adamant would BR have been about yellow panels on steam locos do you think? 

There are a few other variables I've steamrollered over being as this was originally meant to be a test bed but is actually ending up as a proper model.

By the 70's the engine would probably have been fitted with a double chimney or similar, possibly other refinements like a mechanical stoker or oil firing etc. I've included a representation of a steam generator hidden away behind the offside deflector plate for 'electric lighting'.

In my universe BR have done the bare minimum to the steam survivors to maintain them until disposal is financially acceptable.

Also I did think about a shedcode/info panel such as diesels carried but have no way of making one so will have to miss it off.

I picked up a set of transfers (Modelmaster I think) at a toy fair for a pound a while ago.  Although a generic set for type 4 diesels, they had TOPS panels in them,  Sometimes packs of leftovers can be snapped up cheaply.  Worth looking through them as some useful surprises can turn up amongst them.

How adamant would BR have been about yellow panels on steam locos do you think? 

Interesting question. I sat on the committee that decided whether or not to allow Heathrow Express' request for a derogation so that they did not have to have yellow warning panels. The committee was adamant that yellow was there for very good reasons (human eyes pick out yellow more easily than other colours) so it was not granted. On the other hand steam locos on mainline service now are fitted with TPWS and data recorders but have not had to have yellow panels, so I think we can assume that BR would not have gone down that route.

To weigh in my own 2p on this subject, I feel that the yellow helps attract some attention to the model, particularly to the front end.

On a 'factual' ground, I think that the yellow bufferbeam may have been introduced, as unlike diesels and electrics, steam locomotives have a large black area on the front with the deflectors, smokebox and running plate so painted. Therefore, I can see justification for BR trialling out the yellow on the bufferbeam.

Good comments! So good they're strong evidence both for and against the yellow buffers.

My addition is that having seen both in the flesh/plastic, the red is more sober and more lifelike, whereas the yellow is very eye popping and until it's weathered runs the risk of being more 'model-like'.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thing is of course that BR steam continued for several years after the introduction of the blue livery - and the standard colour scheme for steam engines was unlined black with occasional exceptions made for certain engines to be painted green.  Admittedly it was a period of economy due to the expected short life of the steam fleet but also the method of applying the blue which was originally chosen would have been unsuited to use on steam engines.

I think the Vale of Rheidol could be regarded as an exception as a tourist line with a degree of local initiative and a need to make it attractive to draw in the punters passengers.

99% finished!

Last night I attacked the engine with transfer sheets.

Some touching in to do then let the weathering commence!

post-23197-0-98354300-1409501735_thumb.jpg

post-23197-0-99952500-1409501753_thumb.jpg

post-23197-0-68035900-1409501773_thumb.jpg

post-23197-0-82290200-1409501784_thumb.jpg

post-23197-0-90503700-1409501793_thumb.jpg

I'll still probably end up repainting the buffer beams red as dare I say it the model looks a tiny bit 'gimmicky' as is. 

What do you guys think?

I'm loving this!

The raised sides to the tender give it a bit of a bulky appearance, although they might need to be cut back a bit to be allowed to work to Tyne Dock-being over the height of the 9F roof means it's above the 13' 1" height of the loco.

Glad you all like it.

Yeah the tender wasn't my finest hour ha ha. It took a few goes with the plastikard and squadron filler to get it the way it is. I might trim some off the top though as it does look a bit like it belongs on Brunel's broad guage. Still an okay conversion from Evening Star's BR1G if I do say so myself!

It's funny how you work on something for a while then it suddenly comes to life.That happened when I put the Intercity arrows on - suddenly I thought 'Ah this is what I was trying to do...'

As steam loco servicing facilities were removed, the remaining fleet of 9F's were refitted with the new standard BR4 tenders to give them enhanced range. These were bogie tenders with 15ton coal capacity, coal pushers and 7500 water tanks.....................

As steam loco servicing facilities were removed, the remaining fleet of 9F's were refitted with the new standard BR4 tenders to give them enhanced range. These were bogie tenders with 15ton coal capacity, coal pushers and 7500 water tanks.....................

Unless they were nuclear powered conversions without tenders...

Archived