The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Silverstone British GP - what to expect?

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

To help celebrate a recent significant birthday (5 years from retirement!), my family have bought me a 3 day pass to Silverstone for the British Grand Prix including camping at the Woodlands site. We (me plus two sons) have 'general admission' which I understand covers viewing the whole circuit except the grandstands.

I have only been to Silverstone once before at an Easter meeting in the late 1960s or early 1970s and all I can remember is that it was cold wet and miserable . . . . . .

Can anyone tell me what to expect - any hints and tips - where to avoid - costs of catering (I guess we need to self cater as much as possible)

What's the best time to arrive (we hope to be able to travel Thursday but it depends on one the boys getting time off work and his boss is being a bit awkward about it) and perhaps more importantly what about getting out of the camping ground and then out of the circuit - I know there are traffic diversions set up. We would need to go north - preferably via M1 to drop son at Nottingham.

What about the camping 'experience' - we have been using a caravan for the last seven years and a trailer tent before that so it's a while since I was in a small tent. I would guess it's very crowded and noisy - didn't see on web site if parking is next to tent or in a separate area. 

Sorry for a lot of questions - just want to have a great time and so any information, hints and tips gratefully received

Thanks

Mike

I'd suggest making your way round the whole circuit on the Friday finding the position you find the best, and get to that place early on the Sunday to get the best view. I used the Paddock cafe on Sunday during the MG meeting and it wasn't too bad, but not sure if that is open to the general public on GP meetings. They may "adjust" prices for the big weekend too!

Enjoy your weekend, be prepared for cold, wet and mud.

Ed

Happy belated birthday, Mike!

I would go along with the camping attitude, gas stove, kettle, flask, bacon butties etc.

Decent sleeping bags and foam padding for underneath, ear plugs!

Possibly ear plugs for the racing too? Depending on hoe sensitive your ears are! Mind, I've not been to F1 lately, maybe they're quieter than Can-Am? I should think so!

Don't forget your camera/s and chargers, cards etc!

Have a great time!

John E.

• RMweb Gold

As Ed says, use Friday to cover the whole site and find the best spots for race day.

on Sunday treat the whole thing like a military exercise, full planning & preparation beforehand, everything packed and ready to go with you, know where you are aiming for and be at the gate the moment it opens!

Enjoy the weekend and remember that when you've been sitting in your chair for nearly 6 hours with the rain soaking into places you never imagined, the race is about to start and you can forget about the discomfort!

Martin

• RMweb Gold

"What to expect?"

...the biggest traffic snarl-up you've ever witnessed...

So what ever you do plan to avoid that.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

As far as noise is concerned, this vid gives a graphic noise comparison between last year's cars and the 2014 spec powerplants - which are much more than just an internal combustion engine. Earplug vendors must be weeping - you hardly need them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jS4Dh_EAfJI

Take as much as possible necessary for campsite comfort in the vehicle with you: reserve water supply, portable loo, especially; unless you possess special forces or greater levels of hardihood.

If you find an ideal viewing spot, bolt yourself down to it, hard up aganst whatever boundary barrier exists, don't leave a millimetre of space for some oaf to intrude in front of you. Because someone will if given an inch: motorsport unfortunately attracts some of the most obnoxious personalities imaginable. Along with the large majority who are the folks you would prefer to meet.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Tune into Silverstone FM - a dedicated radio channel for the F1. Very good for local traffic issues and various interviews/news items.

Sadly, can't make it this year to do some work there, but I was there a couple of years ago on the inside and our best access point (Hangar Straight) didn't have any speakers for commentary nearby - my headphones served as dual purpose earplug/commentary, but as mentiond above, the cars are likely to be quieter this year.

For a non-motoring diversion, go and watch the helipad at the back of Hangar straight - most interesting to watch it in action - and you may see a few drivers/celebrities at reasonable viewing disance.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

motorsport unfortunately attracts some of the most obnoxious personalities imaginable. Along with the large majority who are the folks you would prefer to meet.

A bit like a model railway show then...... :jester:

But in this case, it's rucksacks and folding chairs.

Cheers,

Mik

Hi Mike,

Tune into Silverstone FM - a dedicated radio channel for the F1. Very good for local traffic issues and various interviews/news items.

Sadly, can't make it this year to do some work there, but I was there a couple of years ago on the inside and our best access point (Hangar Straight) didn't have any speakers for commentary nearby - my headphones served as dual purpose earplug/commentary, but as mentiond above, the cars are likely to be quieter this year.

For a non-motoring diversion, go and watch the helipad at the back of Hangar straight - most interesting to watch it in action - and you may see a few drivers/celebrities at reasonable viewing disance.

Cheers,

Mick

I have always found that you could never hear the large TV screens while the cars were on circuit and if you do want to listen, I would take Mick's advice and tune in to Silverstone FM. Just one point that Mick did miss is that the frequency is 87.7 FM. Come to think of it actually, most dedicated radio stations for events seem to be on this frequency, including Goodwood which was exactly the same for last week. 

I myself, even though I am only 18, have been going to Silverstone since I was in a pushchair and can remember the V10 engines (oh how I miss the scream). It will certainly be very interesting to find out just what the new V6 turbo engines sound like this year. I just hope I'm not disappointed. 

Also following on from the suggestions about Friday, I am in agreement with what has been said. Friday offers what is probably the best day for fans to explore the circuit as everyone has access to the entire circuit. There are a few places that are particularly good to go. I used to spend most of my time at Luffield as that was all that was open during the days of in-season testing. This is a good place to see some action and view the cars at a slower speed; Vale, Club and the newer section are great for this also. If you want to see the cars on the limit of cornering capabilities then I would suggest heading over to Becketts (just before the Hangar straight). The former are also great for photography due to the slower speed. 

In terms of facilities, you will find that they are very good and quite clean; food will be expensive as it is with any event which is why we always take a cool box, although this is obviously not practical if you are there for the whole weekend. Silverstone is a very large site and since it is an old airfield, it can get quite windy. When the weather turns at Silverstone it is very wet and windy so I would certainly recommend taking some warm clothes with you to the track, even if the sun is shining and it's roasting on any particular day.

There are currently mixed weather forecasts some saying rain others saying sunshine, I just always presume that it's going to rain!

Just as a side note, if anyone can get themselves down to Silverstone next week for the testing, I would thoroughly recommend it if the weather looks good. I believe that they will be testing out the new titanium skids next week too, so you never know, there may be some decent pictures coming from the test too. 

Hopefully this is of some help,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Archived