Comet Thompson D329 corridor third.

• RMweb Premium

Next up on the old table is a Comet Models Thompson 3rd (well it will be 2nd when I run it). This is an 'early build' example as it has square corner windows.

The good photo  shows a later build with rounded window corners. P 104 from the good old Harris 'Bible'; with thanks.

post-2326-0-28177700-1403873290_thumb.jpg

I won't go on and on for this build but thought you might just like to see how I prep the door 'jam' for hinges.

Think it is fairly obvious?

Once the sides have had their fettle and clean up and the  necessary holes drilled (I've included the holes for the bumpers) it goes thus:

marker pen; dividers set to get 'look of hinge position' on prototype pic and light scribes made across jam;

big scriber to put in guide 'dents';

drill 0.45/0.50 (think it is the latter as my 0.45s keep breaking!).

post-2326-0-66917200-1403873312_thumb.jpg

I've decided to build a batch of coaches for my 'Cleethorpes/Sidmouth/Exmouth' and then paint them all in one go if possible. 

I may have decided that I can make good enough door grab handles by that time.

I shall also use an MJT roof for this coach.

P

P.S. Oops - forgot to say that any advice gratefully received re this build.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

I drill through the glazing when fitting handles and hold them with a spot of Loctite. If the glazing is stuck down with Evostik, it can be a bit hair raising if the drill picks it up. If there's a risk, It is safer to hand-drill through with a pin-vice.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I'd use a pin vice; don't trust my old mini-drill on coach sides. Great tip thanks. Handles ordered and some more little vents.

Found two (wow.....) MJT roofs in my 'bits drawer' along with some MJT vac brake under-frame stuff and LNER cast batteries that I will use if I feel they are better than the Comet ones; (have not checked those castings yet). I really must tidy up this bits drawer as every time I look in it I seem to find something I don't remember having!

P

• RMweb Premium

Yes Mike, thanks again. Fortunately this is a 'never leaves the loft project', so it will only be my head that gets annoyed at a little 'inaccuracy'. Unless of course I start to put pics on here and then the can of worms will be totally unleashed.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Oooh! Goody, another coach build!  Hinges defeated me on my last try at some non corridor coaches a while back.  I think your method is the way to go.

John

Does this show some hinges a little better Bross?

post-2326-0-71229600-1403901463_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-70775500-1403901671_thumb.jpg

Forgot to say that I use a mix of Comet and Frogmore hinges; bit of a fiddle but well worth it IMO.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good oh. They are great fun and 'designed to be made easily' if you get my drift? You can 'enhance' them somewhat if you really can be fussed (e.g. MJT roof for LNER NG stock and Thompsons) and want extra authenticity, but in my experience they look the part and as Tony Wright would say....."good layout coaches".....

All the best.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I recommend MJT etched grab-handles. They're shaped and simple to fit (best done after painting & lining in this instance).

Got the MJT parts almost by return and the grab handles are a perfect fit for the Comet sides; bonus............

P

• Like 1

Nice work Mallard/Phil, however there is another annoying little task to perform, which is rather a good example of "we can't see the wood for the trees". The corridor side of the Thompson 3rd etch is one of those very rare beasts, - a Comet cock-up! Unfortunately the sliding vents have been added to the wrong windows and are a devil to modify, it also means you end up short of one set of sliding vents, so other etches have to be cannibilized. If i had a pound for everytime i've had to correct this myself . . . . . :-) 

Cheers, Brian (don't have nightmares)

Nice work Mallard/Phil, however there is another annoying little task to perform, which is rather a good example of "we can't see the wood for the trees". The corridor side of the Thompson 3rd etch is one of those very rare beasts, - a Comet cock-up! Unfortunately the sliding vents have been added to the wrong windows and are a devil to modify, it also means you end up short of one set of sliding vents, so other etches have to be cannibilized. If i had a pound for everytime i've had to correct this myself . . . . . :-) 

I can vouch for not seeing the wood for the trees. I was so chuffed that Comet produced the original Stanier corridor brake third that I didn't even notice the windows were in the wrong luggage doors on one side until it was pointed out. Then I was livid at having done all the work for nothing. Personally i would prefer manufacturers to withdraw sides when they know they have seismik mistakes, or at least warn customers when making a purchase.

P*ssed off of Abergele.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Thanks mate. I wouldn't have known that until I'd finished it and shown Tony Wright; he would have had a good bit of fun telling me what you have just pointed out. Thank you.

So, can you recommend another set of sides that would be OK as I have no intention of doing that faffy adaptation! I need a coach that would have been cascaded to excursion work.

Many thanks,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Thanks mate. I wouldn't have known that until I'd finished it and shown Tony Wright; he would have had a good bit of fun telling me what you have just pointed out. Thank you.

So, can you recommend another set of sides that would be OK as I have no intention of doing that faffy adaptation! I need a coach that would have been cascaded to excursion work.

Many thanks,

Phil

Try Bill Bedford. If I want a one-off I usually ask him first in case its on his list of artwork.

I bet everyone dug out their reference books and spent last night studying photos, was BK pulling our legs? Sadly not, we've been lumbered with this slight inconvienience for ages, although the original etch artwork must be thirty years old now, from the days when most of us were a lot less picky. As Larry mentioned, there's also the error on the LMS brake, plus of course he famously rebuilt the etches for the Porthole Brake 3rds, but then those particular real vehicles were a bit odd anyway. Apart from the previous suggestions, another way around the problem would be to buy the Southern Pride/TW PV version with the extended sides (CT4, but may not be available anymore?), and slice off the lower fairing with a small guillotine, but again not for the faint-hearted. The best example of a perpetuated cock-up is the 1960 "The Hadrian Bar", the small corner kitchen window is incorrect on the printed Southern Pride, the etched Comet and even the Bachmann R-T-R versions! Better get the coach books out again!

Thick-skinned of Holloway.                                BK

(P.S.  Anyone had a sneaky look to see if TW corrected his Comet Diag.329 TKs?  :-))   )

• RMweb Premium

I've decided I don't care if the vents are wrong as I didn't know this  in the first place. The sides are lovely etches, I have the  MJT 'grabs' and  and my layout will never leave the loft until after I get scrapped!!!!! Life is too short.

P

• Like 1

Phil, i think you should re-consider and bite the bullet. Select a spare donor for the extra sliding vent and get chopping on those windows, 'fraid i haven't got any spare leftovers to offer. This will remove any remaining angst and any future niggles, when you know this coach ain't kosher. This is what modelling's all about, plus you'll feel better when it's done, and one-up on everyone else. You know it makes sense, plus it gives you full bragging rights. There are some things on this planet that need sorting, and the Thompson 3rd is one of them. :-))  I'll dig out a pic of one of mine as encouragement.      BK

• RMweb Premium

Phil, i think you should re-consider and bite the bullet. Select a spare donor for the extra sliding vent and get chopping on those windows, 'fraid i haven't got any spare leftovers to offer. This will remove any remaining angst and any future niggles, when you know this coach ain't kosher. This is what modelling's all about, plus you'll feel better when it's done, and one-up on everyone else. You know it makes sense, plus it gives you full bragging rights. There are some things on this planet that need sorting, and the Thompson 3rd is one of them. :-))  I'll dig out a pic of one of mine as encouragement.      BK

Oh b****r. Now you have convinced me (push over, me......). I can get another pair of sides from Geoff and then build two of the damn things :sarcastichand:

You are, of course, absolutely right about the angst; I don't have medication for that. Even if the train only appears once every fortnight on 'the timetable'

I would still cringe every time it went past.

The pics would be a great help BK. Thanks.

If it helps, Phil, the vents are right on the Triang one.....

100_2300_zpse8304d70.jpg

Can I keep that pic as reference mate? Also, even I don't have one of those (AFAIK)

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Building and painting something that is fundamentally wrong is wasted time and effort. Bachmann has announced they are to produce Thompson corridor coaches.

.............and they are not hugely expensive either according to Hattons.