Comet Thompson D329 corridor third.

Here was my fix for the Comet Thompson 3rd corridor side, cutting out just the sliding vents would be too fiddly and quite likely to buckle or distort, so i cut down from the top on all seven windows including the top horizontal, then re-arranged the order and added the spare set of sliding vents and re-soldered. I actually did the cutting with a small pair of scissors, rather like miniature shears or tin snips, so as not to lose any material, which you would by sawing. Ah, that feels better.     

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-23749800-1404931317_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-28675500-1404931338_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 5 years later...

Having just bought the Comet etch for the dia.D329, a bit of searching yielded this thread, which was something of a downer on my latest acquisition!

However, my etch is for the round cornered examples, and these do have the vents on the correct windows. I wonder if the square cornered ones are also now corrected?

I was contemplating how best to do the door hinges, and an idea from elsewhere is to drill holes and use door handle etches, so that the handle sits vertically in the half etch line for the door, and soldering from the back. I wonder if anyone has tried this with Thompson stock, and if so how happy were you with the outcome?

Many thanks,

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo

Andrew did say to me some months ago that he had corrected the erroneous corridor etches.

Comet's detailing etch includes hinges which sit on a peg which will pass through a .5mm hole.  I haven't used them on Thompson carriages but I have done them on a number of GW vehicles with no issues.

• Thanks 1