RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

i am thinking this has got Bachmann / Rainbow Railways written all over this ...

I went to Crewe last night to see him (Donald) on his first day out in traffic ... now he's moved over from the WQAA to WEAC pool code at Crewe IEMD:

We've mostly moved on from Hornby Class 90s, havent we ?

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

We've mostly moved on from Hornby Class 90s, havent we ?

Yes, I have their version of this on order as it was only £60 or something but I'd cancel it in a heartbeat if a Bachmann one was done (that wasn't a repaint, I have plenty to buy from factory without needing to spend the additional for a repaint)

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, I have their version of this on order as it was only £60 or something but I'd cancel it in a heartbeat if a Bachmann one was done (that wasn't a repaint, I have plenty to buy from factory without needing to spend the additional for a repaint)

Bit of a PR clanger from Hornby perhaps, with this on the front of a Collector magazine long before it was unveiled to the world ...

Rainbow have a good number of specially printed relivery works, like Backbone 90039, Christine 90037 and Malcolm 90024 as well ...

2 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Rainbow have a good number of specially printed relivery works, like Backbone 90039, Christine 90037 and Malcolm 90024 as well ...

Yes, and to be honest their resprays are good value for the work involved and end result. The issue for me is that I simply cannot justify £300+ for a loco just because it's the livery I want.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, and to be honest their resprays are good value for the work involved and end result. The issue for me is that I simply cannot justify £300+ for a loco just because it's the livery I want.

Yeah, i totally get that ... I nearly bought the new Bachmann DB Cargo 90, Bill, 90028 ... and was going to get my Bill rebranded or renumbered ...  but it's still a significant outlay here and now ... i am going to have to wait a bit ...

• Like 2

On 22/04/2022 at 10:47, andyman7 said:

A situation likely to be remedied at a stroke (at least for the up-to-date modern period) when the Hornby FLIRT appears....

assuming it does appear of course, Hornby cancelled the last GA 90 they had in the catalogue,and it was just a respray in effect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stonojnr said:

assuming it does appear of course, Hornby cancelled the last GA 90 they had in the catalogue,and it was just a respray in effect.

I doubt they'll be cancelling a brand new DMU tooling they have announced.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2022 at 19:52, TomScrut said:

Look for them on ebay.

Whilst they are fantastic models, their resale value is pretty poor… A class 90 respray went for c£80 recently. Trust in respray quality on ebay is really bad and many avoid it, even if in Rainbows case its unfounded as theres so much dross out there, and many people simply don't know to look for that particular diamond in the rough.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Having dipped into this thread last weekend, I am now the owner of a Rainbows 90 024.  It's waiting for me when I get back home tomorrow for the weekend. My Hornby version, which has never seen a piece of track, will be going on eBay/Facebook in due course.

I'm a collector of all things Malcolm, but passed on joining the Hornby club just to get their exclusive. I've lost all faith in Hornby and so will hope for either a Bachmann or failing that, Rainbow release of the new Donald. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Having dipped into this thread last weekend, I am now the owner of a Rainbows 90 024.  It's waiting for me when I get back home tomorrow for the weekend. My Hornby version, which has never seen a piece of track, will be going on eBay/Facebook in due course.

I'm a collector of all things Malcolm, but passed on joining the Hornby club just to get their exclusive. I've lost all faith in Hornby and so will hope for either a Bachmann or failing that, Rainbow release of the new Donald. 

In that case, you should follow my channel on YouTube, Johnson Street IEMD, where I follow the DB90s, including Malcolm

including their operations on Malcolm as well as modelling Malcolm,

Jack, Bill and the DB90 stable, congratulations btw on getting a Rainbow Railways Malcolm 90. 

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMDlarge.1091870538_20-05-21-ElectricDepot-Bytheentrancetotheyard-polecamMalcolmonHL2-MultimodalDBBlueonHL1.png.9cc5e77fb0146d7981b2c2bfba095f62.png

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Thanks 1

Having purchased a couple of 90’s that requires the chips programmed off the loco, can anyone confirm the latest batch of locos can now be programmed in the loco? I have just bought the mainline liveried sound fitted version and need to know if I need to remove the chip on this version 

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Having purchased a couple of 90’s that requires the chips programmed off the loco, can anyone confirm the latest batch of locos can now be programmed in the loco? I have just bought the mainline liveried sound fitted version and need to know if I need to remove the chip on this version 

I had problems talking to my decoder.

Thee are a few things missing from the project which I like & the parking brake function is nonsense. I will probably end up getting a re-blow from Bif.

2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I had problems talking to my decoder.

Thee are a few things missing from the project which I like & the parking brake function is nonsense. I will probably end up getting a re-blow from Bif.

i have a Biffo one in my distribution livery version. It’s still has park brake

Just now, 47606odin said:

i have a Biffo one in my distribution livery version. It’s still has park brake

My pair of Bif ones don't. Are we talking about the same feature?

F5 on my Bif ones act as a brake. They play a brake sound & slow the loco more quickly than just letting it coast to a stop.

The Bachmann one is completely different. With the function enabled, the loco goes nowhere. (But if you wanted it to remain stationary, surely you would just leave the speed setting at zero?).

So maybe it has another purpose too? Unfortunately not. Once moving, it does nothing at all. It doesn't cause a change in speed or play a sound of any kind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

My DB one from Locomotion needed to be programmed off loco, although that was with a Lokprogrammer (which I don't think works by writing CVs as per normal programming) so may work when writing CVs.

The servo settings are different on these though so they have changed something.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2022 at 10:41, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

FRQjS54WUAIRvVA?format=jpg&name=medium

On 26/04/2022 at 10:50, Torbay Express said:

Maybe a Model Rail Scotland Limited Edition??????

Hornby has confirmed in today's Engine Shed that it's Hornby Club loco 90021 will carry this new version of the Malcolm livery.

Edited by brushman47544
to correct loco number
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I was also surprised to see some 90s so soon after the last lot.

Me too, I'm really surprised, but I'll happily have a RES one!

If they're producing more 90s, I hope they add more Intercity Swallow ones onto the production run, the first run seemed to disappear really quickly!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

Me too, I'm really surprised, but I'll happily have a RES one!

If they're producing more 90s, I hope they add more Intercity Swallow ones onto the production run, the first run seemed to disappear really quickly!

I was thinking pretty much the same. A RES one will just about complete a suitable line-up for the era I model, but a 2nd Swallow one would be very welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2022 at 23:01, adb968008 said:

More importantly…

we still dont know what 32-614 is… i’m betting on an EWS or DB one.

Well now we know, its RES…

plus EWS and G&W.. As side of Greater Anglia variants, I guess that brings us to full house on all but the celebrities…

• Like 1