Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

On 20/06/2019 at 22:35, adb968008 said:

Both of mine came from Derails.

tested before despatch, card in the box.

Both are fine.

Hence the value of the smaller dealers testing their stock prior to despatch.

I probably buy 99% of my stock from Derails and have never had a duff loco.

Well done to all concerned !

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Just as a piece of useful ( maybe ) information,I recently requested Rails to check before post.a Heljan loco....which they did .

Anyway,Bachmann have taken it upon themselves to do just that.Hereafter there should be no repeats of these issues.But I think for the time being best to stick with those sources you can trust to do what’s asked.

On 28/06/2019 at 11:35, Black 5 Bear said:

Hence the value of the smaller dealers testing their stock prior to despatch.

I probably buy 99% of my stock from Derails and have never had a duff loco.

Well done to all concerned !

The only problem with buying from Derails is the sausage roll shop across the road.  Bloody hell, they're good.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

so a check in china and a check in Barwell.  hope that's the end of the issues.

Unfortunately not! Despite the beefed up checks my replacement arrived on Friday with the same in transit damage, hanging bogie, bent rubbing plate and broken buffer. There is clearly a fragility of this design making it more susceptable to shocks in transit. Personally I beleive the plastic tray is a major contributor as it is more supple than most allowing the loco to move.

Beyond the checks it is vital that the retailer provides suitable protective packaging for such a fragile loco. Unfortunatelty this was not the case for either of my examples. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Matabiau said:

Unfortunately not! Despite the beefed up checks my replacement arrived on Friday with the same in transit damage, hanging bogie, bent rubbing plate and broken buffer. There is clearly a fragility of this design making it more susceptable to shocks in transit. Personally I beleive the plastic tray is a major contributor as it is more supple than most allowing the loco to move.

Beyond the checks it is vital that the retailer provides suitable protective packaging for such a fragile loco. Unfortunatelty this was not the case for either of my examples. 

Yep I said the same thing a while back in this thread, when my Freightliner 90 arrived I instantly noticed the movement of the loco within the plastic ice cube packaging but thankfully the loco passed a clean bill of health.

18 minutes ago, Duple said:

Interesting you comment on the plastic tray..

The one my 90s came in were very rigid and I had to tug very gently at them to get them out.

Perhaps 2 batches of packaging exist ? 

Quite possible, one batch of packaging was poorly manufactured creating play resulting in the loco moving inside it and any movement not matter how small can impact the loco during transit and perhaps cause damage.

Apologies if this has been covered before (I have gone through the past dozen or so pages and can't find the answer).

Is it possible to physically disconnect the pantograph servo then fit a standard decoder (as I have some spare 21 pin ones) without affecting the operation of the loco?

I was hoping to disconnect the pantograph servo as I don't need to have it powering up and down. It would suit me to pose it without the need to physically touch OHLE.

Any advice would be great , thanks.  I'm about to order an Intercity one.

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

is the special decoder also bespoke for operating all lights functions the 90 has?   if you can run them all on a stock decoder that's good news.

That's what I'm wondering as well. In other words is the need for Bachmann's special decoder just for the pantograph?  Will a standard 21 pin decoder be OK for everything else?

It may sound a little crazy but I hope to fit a Hornby class 87 single arm poseable pan to my Bachmann 90.  Hence I'm not going to use Bachmann's servo/pantograph.  Will be looking to do a straight swap maybe with someone on here if intersted?  It will be a couple of weeks though as I haven't got the loco yet!

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

is the special decoder also bespoke for operating all lights functions the 90 has?   if you can run them all on a stock decoder that's good news.

Yes special decoder for class 90 is for all light functions as well as the pantograph. 

13 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

If it wasn’t for the pantograph you could use a standard decoder but the lighting will use atleast 6 functions so a lot of decoders won’t do it. And it would have to be mapped to control all the lights correctly. Richard

Thanks for that information Richard.  I have a spare Loksound v5 with no sound (blown amp due to my negligence) so I might try that. Will try and remap using JMRI. 

I won't get sound into the 90 just yet as i'd like to hear for myself and compare Legoman with Digitrains.  On Youtube videos the Digitrains sounds good.  Edit:  Just seen that Howes also do one.  Any recommendations please folks?

Edited by cravensdmufan
Further text added

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Thanks for that information Richard.  I have a spare Loksound v5 with no sound (blown amp due to my negligence) so I might try that. Will try and remap using JMRI. 

I won't get sound into the 90 just yet as i'd like to hear for myself and compare Legoman with Digitrains.  On Youtube videos the Digitrains sounds good.  Edit:  Just seen that Howes also do one.  Any recommendations please folks?

i would go with legoman sound for class 90 digitrain is still being tweak I do not think howes sound for class 90 is setup for Bachmann class 90. this what i recommend but it up to you.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

I kind of thought it might be...…...damn. lighting functionality is now getting so comprehensive that the 3 or 4 function decoders aren't enough to allow full operation of all features.

Some modellers have been asking for more controllable lighting.

Now we have it, the old-standard 4 function decoders are not sufficient.

Be careful what you wish for!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I am considering getting the new Bachmann Class 90 but after hearing about some having broken parts that others have experienced. I am now in two minds if to take the plunge or not because £180 for this model to arrive broken is a lot of money and I really do not want the hassle of sending it back if this is the case. Its not because I'm too lazy to return it but it is expected for that kind of money to arrive in a usable and fit condition as would be expected from a brand new model train :).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I am considering getting the new Bachmann Class 90 but after hearing about some having broken parts that others have experienced. I am now in two minds if to take the plunge or not because £180 for this model to arrive broken is a lot of money and I really do not want the hassle of sending it back if this is the case. Its not because I'm too lazy to return it but it is expected for that kind of money to arrive in a usable and fit condition as would be expected from a brand new model train :).

Glad you have posted this comment because I am in the exact same position. I also don't want the hassle of potentially returning multiple models as some have mentioned to a retailer, arrange postage/return of the model/s and then have to arrange for someone to be at home to receive the model/s. It's just a bit much and I just don't want to be causing myself unnecessary hassle, especially not for just one loco. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Why not try someone like Derails or Hereford Models . I think they test them before despatch. The issue with the bogies is well known now do they should be alert  to issues .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Probably the best bet would be to actually go to a model shop to buy one (You can phone them first to ensure they have the one you are after) and ask them to check it in front of you, I know its a bit old fashioned but some times the old ways are the best ways.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Legend said:

Why not try someone like Derails or Hereford Models . I think they test them before despatch. The issue with the bogies is well known now do they should be alert  to issues .

Doesnt mean it wont be damaged while out for delivery.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Doesnt mean it wont be damaged while out for delivery.

No there is that risk, but I noted British Rail 60062 lives in Derry NI and suspected he doesn’t have a local model shop to test it in 

• Friendly/supportive 2

That's true guys. Sadly there is no local model shop where I am and I have to rely on mail order to get anything new where I am. I even tried looking for a model train shop in Belfast and there is nothing there either apart from a wee model shop at Smithfield Market and he mainly sells diecast models and a few second hand model trains :(.

• Friendly/supportive 2