Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one looking at those images and thinking that looks a fundamentally poor design even before the boss gets broken. Surely either a) the boss is a snug fit through the chassis in which case changes in elevation are going to be difficult or b) the boss is going to wear as it rubs against the chassis. Bogies on modern stock aren’t usually so rigidly mounted these days are they?

Roy

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Am I the only one looking at those images and thinking that looks a fundamentally poor design even before the boss gets broken. Surely either a) the boss is a snug fit through the chassis in which case changes in elevation are going to be difficult or b) the boss is going to wear as it rubs against the chassis. Bogies on modern stock aren’t usually so rigidly mounted these days are they?

Roy

I suspect there will be a redesign before further batches are made. Unfortunately there is always the risk with the first production of any design that, despite best endeavours, a part will not have been engineered to a sufficiently robust standard - for example, the new batch of Bachmann Porthole coaches have revised bogies to address a weakness identified in the first production run.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst there's no denying that there shouldn't be a problem, and as @andyman7 says I'd expect there to be some modification before the next run, at least it's a relatively simple one to fix for those who want to.  Not that people should feel they have to, of course, but I imagine many will be in the same boat of not being able to get another in the same livery, or being half way around the world and it being a huge faff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Roy

The boss is a fairly loose fit in the chassis (except the one in the pic which I believe was tightened until it compressed in hight & expanded in diameter to make it a snug fit)

The chassis rides on the 2 nubs highlighted in the pic which gives the bogie a reasonable fore/aft tilt

bogie_ride.jpg.091db1e1df3898649b4941dcec0955c9.jpg

John

the class 85 had no such issues.

does the 90 have completely modelled cab interiors?

I am wondering if the 90 design was brought about so that the cab interiors were fully opened up to the rear bulkheads - on the 85 it has to make do with a half height dummy rear cab section from behind the crew seats to accommodate the bogie drive towers.  not sure if the drive meets the centre of the bogie on the 85 (I think it does) whereas to achieve the full cab it does seem that Bachmann had to move the drive attachment points inwards slightly towards the centre of the locos to free up that cab space...…..

I hope it gets a fix.

Purchased an Inter City liveried one from Colletts models (price matched to the bigger players as well) and no broken bogies plus the screws to release the roof to access the chip were nice and easy to remove, whether Leigh had checked them I dont know but they just snug requiring no effort to remove.

Oh and when the panto is released from its clip it stands at about half height which is ideal for us DC dinosaurs, so well done Bachmann for that.

Leigh is also taking pre-orders for any new release so if you want the personal touch of being one of the first to receive your model but still having it inspected before being sent out then give Leigh a quick call, shop open Tuesday to Saturday 0930-1700, closed Sunday and Monday.

No connection other than a long standing customer with a monthly budget plan which eases the pain when lots of new models are released at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, royaloak said:

Purchased an Inter City liveried one from Colletts models (price matched to the bigger players as well) and no broken bogies plus the screws to release the roof to access the chip were nice and easy to remove, whether Leigh had checked them I dont know but they just snug requiring no effort to remove.

Oh and when the panto is released from its clip it stands at about half height which is ideal for us DC dinosaurs, so well done Bachmann for that.

Leigh is also taking pre-orders for any new release so if you want the personal touch of being one of the first to receive your model but still having it inspected before being sent out then give Leigh a quick call, shop open Tuesday to Saturday 0930-1700, closed Sunday and Monday.

No connection other than a long standing customer with a monthly budget plan which eases the pain when lots of new models are released at the same time.

Yes I concur, Collett's Models is now my go to shop due to excellent prices and Leigh inspects the models before dispatch which is a bonus thus my Freightliner 90 arrived with zero issues...not to mention he is great to talk to and always gives you time to discuss things.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I just noticed the number printed on the roof of the class 90 in 3 places on one side only, on the rfd version

Does anyone know why ?

A2C71484-A76E-48DD-98CA-64601DF700B5.jpeg

Hi. It’s exactly the same on the IC example too. Someone asked about it but there was no reply.

Please see this photo’ I took of my IC model. It has those numbers too.

92DC80BE-1E28-4896-B051-CE6B682F9395.jpeg.1822a83b5d4b309f50cbf82155aba9d8.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I think the answer to that is obvious, it's so spotters on a bridge know which loco it is :laugh: 

I've never noticed that before, though, seems rather odd, I can only think it's something to help maintenance staff working on the roof know which loco it is, but even then every other loco manages without, and I'm sure they'd know that before they went up there in the first place. I can't think of any situation really where staff would need to know - especially since its in three places and quite small.  Were the roof panels removable, so that staff knew which loco they would go back on, as per class 66 body sections? Part of me is wondering if the numbers were just on the parts/livery diagrams that went to China for identification of which model they go with, and they got put on the model - I'm sure I've heard of similar stories before where things like that have happened.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Following criticism on this thread I thought you know what maybe I will give Rails one last go and guess what- 6 class 90's have been through my hands and the latest 2 are faulty. The railfreight version has the floating bogie issue and the intercity version has a buffer missing with no sign of it in the box. Have contacted Bachmann as if they can supply the buffer I will fit myself the railfreight one not decided yet but refund is looming large in my thinking!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:20, John ks said:

My Class 90 arrived recently. Seems I am not the only one with this problem

One of the bogies had an excess of sideway & back/front movement

On investigation I found that the boss (pivot) that locates the bogie was broken

If looks like the screw holding the bogie to the chassis may have been over tightened to the point where the boss broke or was that stressed that the shocks during transport caused it to brake

I tapped the boss to 2mm & super glued it back in place, next day I run the tap through the boss & into what was left of the bogie frame, & held the bogie into the chassis with a longer screw that so far has been ok.

Photo shows the boss super glued in place, look closely & you may see the excess glue

1890347386_bogie1.jpg.ffe0d1028b711002df7ec26b540a51ad.jpg

While reassembling the loco I noticed the second bogie was not right,

Turns out the boss on that bogie was also broken

The screw was tightened to the point where the boss was distorted & very tight in its piviot hole

bogie_2.jpg.e279535eb1fa4b0531006ab8849fda97.jpg

This drawing may help to explain how I repaired the second bogie

bogie3.jpg.e70d57fc3f4153ef263a3d22d0cb114b.jpg

If the first bogie fails I’ll try this same repair on it

If anybody is interested the servo looks a bit like this

servo.jpg.d901a9f59d522e128cd86a0e4cbb10fb.jpg

Should I have sent this back for repairs? Maybe. If I sent it back then that could be another month(I live in Oz) or more before I see the model again

I have contacted my retailer Requesting replacement bogies but from previous posts I get the impression that they may not be available

Time will tell.

John

That is a superb bit of fault finding and I hope Bachmann takes notice. It seems you have cracked (:jester:) the problem. Possibly Bachmann’s design isn’t robust enough to withstand the brutal twists of the screwdriver but the problem is pure and simple overtightening. It’s a simple thing but a costly mistake.

• Like 1

its highly possible the Chinese line assemblers use powered drivers to put screws into the models and losing the feel you get when tightening screws by hand.  this might be why some are busting up and some aren't allied to the slop in the packaging?

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Would they even be 'hand assembled'?

Small robots and a production line possibly?

Somebody stuffed up the torque setting?

Al.

I don’t think it’s that sophisticated - more “hand built by Roberts”* than “Robots”.

Cheers

Darius

* For those old enough to remember “Not the Nine O’Clock News”

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That is a superb bit of fault finding and I hope Bachmann takes notice. It seems you have cracked (:jester:) the problem. Possibly Bachmann’s design isn’t robust enough to withstand the brutal twists of the screwdriver but the problem is pure and simple overtightening. It’s a simple thing but a costly mistake.

Not really, a run of cradles will cost a few pence each.

updating procedures to not over tighten will take minutes.

returns can be fixed through normal repair / returns.

For the worst ones, they can knock a % off the RRP and sell them at Warley.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I got my replacement freight liner today and guess what, both bogie towers are busted, it’s also a few screws missing. At the buffers are intact and the detail bag is present unlike my last one. A phone call to Bachman’s is now in order. Very disappointed, Bachman’s should sort this out rather letting the retailer cop it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A word of warning if you are contemplating repairing the bogies yourself.

I did a repair on my loose bogies & asker my retailer to contact Bachmann with the possibility of getting replacement bogies.

Bachmann's response to the retailer was something like this

Bachmann said that it would invalidate the warranty if you did the repair. To replace the bogies means you would have to open up the loco and get passed the PCB board to do the repair thus causing risk of further damage.  Bachmann said the only thing is to return it to them to do the repair.

I feel this might be a little shorted sighted on Bachmann's part for 2 reasons 

1 The cost of returning the loco from Australia (AU$50.00 approx.) , the cost of repair/replacement & return postage verses the cost of 2 bogies & postage

2 Good will 

An example of how another retailer treated me

I received an US outline loco from an US retailer & one of the bogies was loose (sound familiar), sent him a picture of the problem & about a week or 2 later a new Bogie turned up in the mail

In my book that retailer is worth lots of brownie points

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Hi John, that's very unfortunate, as is the whole scenario.

It is a logical response by the retailer / manufacturer I suppose.

There are many who are competant, many highly skilled, a good few 'learning the trade', but I'm sure there are also those 'have a go heroes' who're always a disaster waiting to happen.

Their response will be to circumvent this - not knowing your skills or generally appreciating your exceptional location.

I hope you get yours sorted out and to a standard you can accept and appreciate.

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Is there a Bachmann repair agent in NZ who can order the spares or ask your retailer if they will refund the postage? One of the reasons I try to buy continental models from a shop in my country as I can return it to them if there’s an issue and avoid large shipping costs. 

It’s probably a blanket policy for legal reasons as once you accept one it gets out and then people make spurious claims to get free spares. Unfortunate but a minority spoil it for the rest of us. 

• Moderators

Bachmann have circulated a message to their retailers as follows so they should be aware if any approach is made.

The Bachmann Europe Service Department has received a number of Bachmann Branchline Class 90 locomotives from both retailers and consumers which have suffered from a failure in the bogie pivot mounting point. Whilst no problems were found during our routine Quality Control processes prior to the release of the models, we believe that in some instances, the bogie retaining screw has been over-tightened during manufacture which can result in failure of the mounting point if the model is subject to shocks during transit. If this failure should occur, then the bogie(s) will display excessive fore/aft and lateral play.

For mail order sales, we would recommend test-running the model before despatch, should the bogies be found to be over-tightened then please contact the Bachmann Europe Service Department for advice on how to proceed.

For consumers in receipt of models displaying signs of this defect, please contact your Bachmann retailer in the first instance. We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this issue, but please be assured that our Service Department is fully equipped to rectify these problems and is on hand to help our retailers and consumers via the correct channels.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2019 at 14:44, Darius43 said:

The first replacement has arrived and (phew) the bogies are atatched just fine.  The buffing plate had snapped off at one cab end but that is easy to re-fix.  One replacement OK, one more to go...

Cheers

Darius

Second replacement has arrived.  Both bogies ok and no missing or broken bits.  Huge sigh of relief.

Cheers

Darius