Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

I have just received my Intercity Class 90 from Sheffield. The excitement was quickly dashed by the condition of the loco. The rubbing bars were both bent, one of the buffers was broken off, and worst of all one of the bogies was loose and a pice of plastic with a retaining screw fell out of the body.

The moulded plastic tray seemed very flimsy compared to most models and as loose in the plastic sleeve. Probably the origin of the breakages.

I see others have had similar problems so I wonder if this is a common problem regarding the packaging of this loco?

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Matabiau said:

I have just received my Intercity Class 90 from Sheffield. The excitement was quickly dashed by the condition of the loco. The rubbing bars were both bent, one of the buffers was broken off, and worst of all one of the bogies was loose and a pice of plastic with a retaining screw fell out of the body.

The moulded plastic tray seemed very flimsy compared to most models and as loose in the plastic sleeve. Probably the origin of the breakages.

I see others have had similar problems so I wonder if this is a common problem regarding the packaging of this loco?

I have to say I don't think the ice cube plastic packing the loco sits in isn't a very good tight fit compared to Bachmann's other models and their packaging.

The first thing I did notice when I got mine today was the loco had movement within the plastic packing and didn't feel entirely secure or stable, but it was a passing thought at the time and gave the loco the once over with everything being intact.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this with the packaging?

8 hours ago, GordonC said:

I'd even go as far as saying the Hornby flexicoil suspension looks better than the Bachmann effort. By having it as part of the bogie moulding takes it right back from the bodyside edge where it should line up with. I presume its been done related to allowing it round tighter curves, but they could really do with a better solution than that

But aren't the flexicoil springs mounted to both body & bogie on the real thing?

Working springs are not really an option because train set curves are much tighter than the real thing, so they have to be mounted either to the body or bogie.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

But aren't the flexicoil springs mounted to both body & bogie on the real thing?

Working springs are not really an option because train set curves are much tighter than the real thing, so they have to be mounted either to the body or bogie.

Who said anything about working springs?

I think its more that they're almost done in half-relief and even the cab steps which look a separate part stand out more prominently when it should be one of the most obvious features of the underframe

Sunny Skoda

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

This is true. Solutions to problems of this type still need work for better rendition of prototype features.

When  Kernow's Bulleid prototype diesels were released I was interested to read that the external cosmetic (so far as the model is concerned) bogie frames were not rigidly coupled to the functional bogie frame of the model. That seemed to me a useful innovation, but there was relatively little discussion of this feature, and sadly so far no one I know has purchased one to enable me to have a look. But this technique might well offer a better appearance until the model is on such a sharp curve that the cosmetic bogie frame has to shift to enable the functional bogie to swing sufficiently.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Who said anything about working springs?

I think its more that they're almost done in half-relief and even the cab steps which look a separate part stand out more prominently when it should be one of the most obvious features of the underframe

Sunny Skoda

This picture to me proved that the steps on the model are a bit too proud of the bogies than they should be. Whereas in the picture it's not so.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

i received my freightliner model yesterday and to my horror i have multiple problems it.

1: 2 buffers rattling around in the box

2: missing detail pack

3: Put the loco on the track and instantly got a grinding nose. Under inspection the non pantograph end driving bogie seems to have a lot of play in it and the wheels don't drive. I took the loco apart (moving the body) and the drive shaft from the central motor to the bogie tower had come out. No problem i though and put it back in. However it soon came out again and this is due to too much forward movement of the bogie tower.

Has anybody else had this problem? i seem to remember someone mentioning a broken bogie tower but my looks fine, it's almost as if the drive shaft is a few mm too short.

overall a nice model but i'm not blown away by it, the class 60 and 56 from Hornby are far better.

thanks

i have found out why mine sounded rough on running at speed. Found two very small bits of plastic stuck to the wheel in the same place on each side of a axle. now all is ok and running fine

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

crumbs....a few problems with peoples 90s then...….maybe QC has gone on the fritz at Bachmann.   

In any run there will be bad ones, it is hard to tell if this is a common problem from just a few comments on here. One of my Bachmann Baldwins had bad valve gear, just like Heljan Manning Wardles, it wasn’t indicative of a wider problem. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to the retailer from whom I bought mine today and apparently they have had a higher than normal number of returns with broken bogie tower. Just how this translates to the full batch only Bachmann will know but it does suggest that this is more than a handful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

i received my freightliner model yesterday and to my horror i have multiple problems it.

1: 2 buffers rattling around in the box

2: missing detail pack

3: Put the loco on the track and instantly got a grinding nose. Under inspection the non pantograph end driving bogie seems to have a lot of play in it and the wheels don't drive. I took the loco apart (moving the body) and the drive shaft from the central motor to the bogie tower had come out. No problem i though and put it back in. However it soon came out again and this is due to too much forward movement of the bogie tower.

Has anybody else had this problem? i seem to remember someone mentioning a broken bogie tower but my looks fine, it's almost as if the drive shaft is a few mm too short.

overall a nice model but i'm not blown away by it, the class 60 and 56 from Hornby are far better.

thanks

Had another look tonight, question what holds the bogies in place, I.e stopping the up/down/left/right movement. If it was not for the pickup wires (which I had to resolder tonight ) then the bogies would simply fall away. This can’t be right surely? Am I missing a screw that holds the Bogor in place and allows it to pivot?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Matabiau said:

Just how this translates to the full batch only Bachmann will know but it does suggest that this is more than a handful.

Or maybe a particularly rough delivery driver for that retailer possibly.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

One of Bachmann Baldwins had bad valve gear, just like Heljan Manning Wardles, it wasn’t indicative of a wider problem. 

Although at the time, Facebook posters were happy to dismiss the model as fatally flawed and this being the end of the world.

People with faulty models will always be keener to shout about it than those with perfect ones, it's a law of social media. We need to be careful not to over-analyse a few faulty models as a significant problem, at least for a few weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I think in that case you'll find a lot more wrong with the model than just a loose bogie.

Also odd that this delivery driver seems to have travelled the length and breath of the nation, because people are buying Bachmann Class 90s from all over. And they all seem to have been delivered by this one reckless driver. Talk about having something to back up a statement!!!

All we're hearing about now is loose bogies..... Almost always a single loose bogie!

Is it so hard to accept the fact that maybe....just maybe there is an issue with the Bachmann Class 90 bogies or rather the mounting for it?

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I was only talking to Andy at Sawyer Models a couple of days ago when he was bemoaning having to return stock having watched the delivery driver throw the box down. Bottom loco in the carton damaged. Apparently not an uncommon occurrence.

I was suggesting he should do what this lot did:

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The trend we can see now is loose bogies. Almost always a single loose bogie.

Trend based on how many samples? Out of a batch of how many?

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, but you ought to quote your sample sizes, especially having been scathing about the model earlier in the thread. It would look to an outside observer like an agenda. (and yes I know you are buying one).

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, dogbox321 said:

Don't think Bachmann would do the photographic sides, although Hornby have!

Regards,

C.

They went this far:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/377736/Bachmann_Branchline_32_727W_Class_66_66709_Sorrento_in_GBRF_10TH_MSC_Anniversary_livery_Kernow_Exclusive_/StockDetail.aspx

Roy

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, but you ought to quote your sample sizes, especially having been scathing about the model earlier in the thread. It would look to an outside observer like an agenda. (and yes I know you are buying one).

"an agenda"?

oh,do  shut the front door......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Well we've heard a few people here complain about it. And then there's also multiple members of multiple groups on other social media platforms that brought up the same issue.

I might have probably used the word trend in a different way and probably not to the best, but I stick by my word, we're seeing a number of complaints about ONE LOOSE BOGIE.

Likewise your post with an assumption about models being damaged due to a rough delivery guy is also a bit vague. If it's true Bachmann need to sort out the logistics company they use to ship their models elsewhere, because clearly that company has a lot of rough delivery guys nation wide. And if this so called rough delivery guy is in China then Bachmann have severe QC issues in the UK just like Dapol and Hornby. 

Anyway! I've made my point, sadly other people can go on and on in other threads without an issue, but if you do it to a lesser extent in a Bachmann thread it's an agenda.

If Bachmann every release an EWS, Greater Anglia or Malcolm Class 90, I'll buy it. I'm sure I can sort out the many issues with it using a lot of scratch-built and spares from a range of suppliers.

Cheers!

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Well we've heard a few people here complain about it. And then there's also multiple members of multiple groups on other social media platforms that brought up the same issue.

I might have probably used the word trend in a different way and probably not to the best, but I stick by my word, we're seeing a number of complaints about ONE LOOSE BOGIE.

Likewise your post with an assumption about models being damaged due to a rough delivery guy is also a bit vague. If it's true Bachmann need to sort out the logistics company they use to ship their models elsewhere, because clearly that company has a lot of rough delivery guys nation wide. And if this so called rough delivery guy is in China then Bachmann have severe QC issues in the UK just like Dapol and Hornby. 

Anyway! I've made my point, sadly other people can go on and on in other threads without an issue, but if you do it to a lesser extent in a Bachmann thread it's an agenda.

If Bachmann every release an EWS, Greater Anglia or Malcolm Class 90, I'll buy it. I'm sure I can sort out the many issues with it using a lot of scratch-built and spares from a range of suppliers.

Cheers!

No need to defend yourself. Approximately 25 people have posted on here saying that they have bought a 90. A further 6 have bought a 90 and had bogie problems.

So, yes....a trend. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

What are the many issues with it? Have seen queries over the glazing, cab steps and how the pantograph sits but other than the build problems which should be sorted by sending back to the retailer /Bachmann  what else is there?

cheers

5 minutes ago, Markwj said:

What are the many issues with it? Have seen queries over the glazing, cab steps and how the pantograph sits but other than the build problems which should be sorted by sending back to the retailer /Bachmann  what else is there?

cheers

One of mine has a faulty speaker. It sounds weak & hissy compared to the other one's roar. Whether the speaker itself has fault or it is simply not sealed properly is unclear because I have not taken it apart.

This could be an isolated case or it could be a common fault. It would only be apparent to those which have been sound-fitted, which may well be a low number.