Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

Yes and no, farren.

The wagons date from around 1964/65 onwards, and even Hornby's dated model was introduced around 1966 or thereabouts. That gives a little overlap in the steam era to the end of steam in 1968.

However, the wagons were air braked and only diesels or electrics so fitted would be seen hauling them. They could be seen side by side with steam.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post earlier - I have now deleted the other one.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not being particular ofay with this wagon would I be able to run some in the late steam era on the midland line as they are a rather distinctive wagon.

Prototypically only if hauled by an air braked diesel loco - or run as an unfitted movement

But of course you can always chose to apply the Its My Railway rule

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Not being particular ofay with this wagon would I be able to run some in the late steam era on the midland line as they are a rather distinctive wagon.

Look out for a limited edition non corridor brake coach for the the early days of operation. The unions took a little time to convince that fitted freight trains could run without a guard riding in a seperate van.

Ergh, more wallet abuse coming I fear... 

I model the late 80s/early 90s and wanted an appropriate container wagon RTR but I don't know too much about them. Would I be able to mix and match the Freightliner containers and the maritime ones in the same rake or were they strictly kept separate? I'd like to know before I place a preorder!

Edited by sub39h

Erm, not totally (Shameless plug) There are my 1980's ones and there are Knightwings kits too.

Do I understand from this that Bachmann aren't going to make them in their original condition with the BR developed locking arrangement (Pre ISO)[/quotle]

I'm not yet convinced by the quality of 3D prints (key word being yet) and the Knighwing products are a little crude by modern standards and the product range is limited so for now I stand by my comments.

I know seeing for yourself would be the proof required, however having now worked alot now with both rtr containers and 3d print containers i have to say that 3d prints do come out just as well as the big manufacturer ones do. the process seems to lend itself nicely to the 'details' of containers, whilest large 3d objects seem to require smoothing down and other attention i've not found this with containers. The link here is to some i've done from WBM along side C-rail, Bachmann, and Hornby containers, other than decorating all they've received was a soapy bath first: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50852-3d-printed-warwell-now-includes-other-wagons-military-industrial/?p=1512772

Looking forward to seeing what containers Bachmann create for this and whether they'll be the correct height this time!

Edit: stupid internet!!!

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Boxes seem to be an undernourished subject as far as models and research matter goes. It's very difficult to find period photos of them compared to other freight stock. Even PBs site is a little thin (no complaints :no: ) 

I know seeing for yourself would be the proof required, however having now worked alot now with both rtr containers and 3d print containers i have to say that 3d prints do come out just as well as the big manufacturer ones do. the process seems to lend itself nicely to the 'details' of containers, whilest large 3d objects seem to require smoothing down and other attention i've not found this with containers. The link here is to some i've done from WBM along side C-rail, Bachmann, and Hornby containers, other than decorating all they've received was a soapy bath first: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50852-3d-printed-warwell-now-includes-other-wagons-military-industrial/?p=1512772

Looking forward to seeing what containers Bachmann create for this and whether they'll be the correct height this time!

Edit: stupid internet!!!

(OT) Love the Stark Industries ones - looks like it wasn't just me that saw that film and thought they'd make a good model! :)

• Like 1

Ergh, more wallet abuse coming I fear... 

I model the late 80s/early 90s and wanted an appropriate container wagon RTR but I don't know too much about them. Would I be able to mix and match the Freightliner containers and the maritime ones in the same rake or were they strictly kept separate? I'd like to know before I place a preorder!

I think Freightliner had largely pulled out of the domestic market (and hence their own containers) by the late 1980s; they certainly axed a lot of terminals, including Swansea, Dudley, Follingsby (Newcastle), Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen, around that period. I'd wait to see what boxes are going to be produced; the style with no twist-locks, and horizontal ribs, like those Hornby've sold over the years, had gone off to a second life as builders' sheds by the early 1970s.

Some of the buffer fitted wagons were vacuum piped as FGB's but no idea as to numbers.

ISTR observing some in the 60146x / 60148x range.

(and I'm not confusing these with 601999).

Edited by Southernman46

Cue picture of a Freightliner train......

The evening Nottm - Coatbridge service passes Toton in the mid 1980s behind a "Peak". Being a domestic Freightliner working, many of the containers are in one of the various Freightliner livery schemes.

post-6880-0-75070700-1405966435.jpg

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a photo of an 8F heading a brand new Freightliner train but I've no idea of the specific circumstances involved.

(OT) Love the Stark Industries ones - looks like it wasn't just me that saw that film and thought they'd make a good model! :)

still o/t (last one) I've done 3 stark containers of various eras so far with more to do. They were my sons idea, I'll put them on my 'container' thread in the intermodal forum for you at some point.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that's good news Bachmann got a sale or 4 out of me then. I do have a few diesel locos thanks for the help people

Back to the people that know what they are taking about.

This was the best news from the Bachmann announcement, as far as I was concerned. Hattons are showing the FFAs as packs of two, rather than singly as Andy suggests. Having singles or packs of three is a far more sensible idea, given that most of the wagons were in 5 sets but I can sense the words "gift","horse" and "mouth" forming in members' minds so I will admit that having to put up with buying pairs of FFAs is a minor irritation compared with the chance to replace the old Triang wagons for those of us modelling BR circa 1970. Maybe, if these sell well, we can look forward to a decent model of a Morris crane to replace the Triang toy one. I know that this is available as a downloadable card kit but something more solid would be preferable.

Have just noticed that there will be a suitable crane added to the Scenecraft range. My cup runneth over.

Edited by 34040

Actually two pairs of outers and three pairs of inners would make up a 10 car rake for those with the space - but I agree single sales would probably be more popular.  I thought though the original announcement suggested the inners would be singles?

• RMweb Gold

Yes both the announcement and the Bachmann price list (although listed as price TBA) lists the outers as being supplied as pairs and the inners singularly.

38-625   Twin Pack FGA container flats (with outer end buffers) with ISO containers

38-626   Single FFA container flat (inner vehicle) with ISO containers

38-627   Twin Pack FGA container flats (with outer end buffers) with Maritime containers

38-628   Single FFA container flat (inner vehicle) with Maritime containers

The wagons date from around 1964/65 onwards, and even Hornby's dated model was introduced around 1966 or thereabouts. That gives a little overlap in the steam era to the end of steam in 1968.

I seem to remember that (Tri-ang)-Hornbys boast when they introduced the freightliner wagon was that their wagon was running on the model railways of Britain before the prototype was running on the real thing.

Maybe Bachmann would consider this container if they do the non turnlock version of the FFA/FGA.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightliner/h3b0d3e38#h3b0d3e38

A photograph appeared with it loaded on the end of  a container train in the contemporary railway press at the time of the Guards dispute. (Modern Railways I think)

Porcy

Well, I've been asking for these for years! Hopefully if they are up to scratch, and not as compremised as the old Hornby offering (i.e. we'll see plenty of 'air'), I'll probably be buying these by the pallet load. Hopefully Colin Craig will be able to supply 'detailing' etch sprues from his fabulous kits, and even perhaps use his sprung bogies on these. These will massively accelorate my future project plans, as I wasn't looking forward to having to batch build the required number of colin's kits for all the rakes I'd like to model.

At worst these will probably be best for fully 'loaded' rakes, and colin's kits reserved for parcally loaded or empty rake, either way a much welcomed!

ClikC

• RMweb Premium

Am I correct in thinking that in the early/mid 80's single wagons were added on to the rear of some passenger services?

Paul

Wasn't it for Aberdeen-Inverness services?

Cheers,

Mick

Singles (double ended FGAs) were used in Scotland, I want to say there was either 2 or 5 of them but it's been a while since I've read up on the fleet. LTSV database had a good bio in the FFA/FGA sets which covered use and make up.