RMweb

MrSimon

• RMweb Gold

Hello Simon,

The headlights and indicators were just painted onto the body once the whole thing was sprayed black. I chose the black diamond livery partly because I saw it as an easy hit, and I am a great believer in making things easy for yourself!

Because the whole thing is black, I simply painted the body black and then produced "panels" with the lettering that could be fixed in position. A black Rotring was used to hide any white edges.

The attached photo shows the various panels - I did quite a few duplicates and experimented with line thicknesses etc - the red lettering for example had to be thicker than scale to show up, as did the orange lettering for the destination indicator.

post-420-0-39890700-1338149890.jpg

Of course your chosen livery may be harder!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Cars Workshops produce a Plaxton Pointer 2 that would be more appropriate for your period than a National, Simon http://www.80mbusmodel.com/eshop/photos/150801.jpg

Worth looking through the 80M site http://www.80mbusmodel.com/eshop/ under 'Toys Model' as there are other useful 1:150 vehicles like fire engines, ambulances and construction equipment too. Note the dollar prices are Hong Kong dollars, not US ones!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bernard,

I had a good look though and the Darts seem to be sold out, but then I remembered about this on my Dad's shelf:

post-6199-0-89718200-1500071583.jpg
I think its a Dart... might be easy to Anglicise (get rid of the centre door etc) and paint into Stagecoach :D I'll give an ambulance some thought though!

After the show we decided there were a few improvements that weren't essential, but would make the exhibiting experience easier (including handy handles on the underside so there was something to grip on the walk out the the car). The main one, which would be quick to do and make a big difference was to make stock trays for the multiple units, so they could just be whipped on and off the layout without messing around with card sleaves, plastic cases, foam inserts and bits of polythene. So last night I set to work:

post-6199-0-56632100-1500071582.jpg
I made two trays, one to replace the original units tray (which wasn't very well designed internally and I wanted both trays to be the same) and a new one to house the additions to my fleet over the last six months (with a little extra capacity for the old wish-list). The old units tray had a single lid and full height dividers, which made it harder to take the units out and meant I had to open the whole box to take a 2car unit out. The new trays I made the dividers 2/3 height with lid cut into three (with a stiff lip so its harder to open)

I've got tray outers cut out and ready to be divided up, I'm thinking one will be for the pipes train (new tray for it) and one I'm thinking for the Gresby 'shunting goods' so I've got two short trains in one box... Most of the trays need a bit of re-jigging since I limited the lengths of train I wanted to run - so that'll be fun while I recharge my modelling batteries :D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

The bus off my shelf I think is actually a Hino of some description. It is lettered up in Japanese rather than Chinese. It is a Tomytec that was bundled together with a Setra coach of German origin on sale at Lincoln toyfair. I wanted the Setra for Furtwangen Ost and the other one didn't fit either that or Hawthorn Dene Colliery (too new).

If it is unsuitable for Gresby it will be disposed of at some stage....

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Daz,

The stock box is just made from Mounting Board, duck-taped together at the sides with a folding lid and dividers made from mouting board. They stack eight high in a 50LP record case. I ran out of duck tape tonight, but I'll take some construction pics when I've got some more.

Cheers

Simon

The bus off my shelf I think is actually a Hino of some description. It is lettered up in Japanese rather than Chinese. It is a Tomytec that was bundled together with a Setra coach of German origin on sale at Lincoln toyfair. I wanted the Setra for Furtwangen Ost and the other one didn't fit either that or Hawthorn Dene Colliery (too new).

If it is unsuitable for Gresby it will be disposed of at some stage....

Les

These buses are Tomix ref:3512 (available unassembled as 3599), converted using my ref:1100 etches to represent Duple 300 and East Lancs EL2000 bodies. They look to be a similar size.

post-1877-0-67888800-1498937775.gif

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bernard,

I can't find the Tomix buses online :-( maybe they're out of stock? The Tomytec bus is 69mm long and 19mm high with the wheel centres at 15 and 50mm (from the front) I'd imagine its a pretty standard Japanese bus size - so I'll give it a go (for use on the next layout!) Does anyone sell them in the UK? Plazajapan didn't have any... :-(

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

Hi Bernard,

I can't find the Tomix buses online :-( maybe they're out of stock? The Tomytec bus is 69mm long and 19mm high with the wheel centres at 15 and 50mm (from the front) I'd imagine its a pretty standard Japanese bus size - so I'll give it a go (for use on the next layout!) Does anyone sell them in the UK? Plazajapan didn't have any... :-(

I bought the original ones from Howes of Oxford, but that was a long time ago! The size is not quite the same as 3512 are 73mm long, 21mm high (excluding pods etc.) and wheels at 14.5 & 51mm.

Neat stock boxes!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I seem to have had a month off... It wasn't intentional, but I have caught up with all the TV I missed on the run up to Cotgrave :D

Last week I did a bit of work on some stock, and this week - taking baby steps - I started some work on the layout. The station boards are up and the platform has had a few thou filed off the back edge, and I did a bit on the terrace back lane:

post-6199-0-11907400-1500071178.jpg
Back gates. I just didn't get round to doing them before - and they were really easy

post-6199-0-61078900-1500071176.jpg
I maybe overdid it on the weeds in the alley... it looked a bit bare still so I added wheelie bins:

post-6199-0-61007800-1500071177.jpg
Its bin day in Gresby - and someones left their jeep in the way. Mrs Woman from number 7 isn't happy...

post-6199-0-12536000-1500071177.jpg
... and she's really hard to photograph!

Theres still so much to do. I've found somewhere that will print me a backscene, I just need to go out and take some pictures - and get the weather right (so if I'm looking for a dark and threatenning sky in north Nottinghamshire then I'd imagine we're in for three month heatwave)

Lots to do!
Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben, William and Harry,

Thank you for your comments! The wheelie bins are PD Marsh item C36a, they need a bit of cleaning up and I found them best to paint while superglued to a bit of card - I didn't fancy painting any of those floral bin-stickers for this bunch, but its bin day in Gresby, so I might do one for the other alley :D

I'll let you into a little secret... the one on its side only got knocked over because I noticed that I'd missed a bit on the 2nd coat of green and did't want to get the paint out again - but my old bin men in Preston used to scatter the wheelie bins all over the place, so it seemed a good idea - glad you like it

Hehe Mr Man :D I'd not thought about that haha - I keep flirting with the idea of an O Gauge tramway - so watch this space

I need to make a clamp for the landrover and then get on with finishing the front section off - but I seem to be having a lazy summer :(

Lots to do! Thanks again

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I have been doing work - just really slowly :) this week I have mainly been building my platform building:

post-6199-0-08373300-1500070845.jpg
Just a few more windows and the other door to make and I can get painting.

Last night I set Gresby up again, primarily to double check that the trailing points work well with Steam Engines and 10ft wb wagons so they can be used on a my Dads new layout and the new Newark & District layout... but that test is more or less done now so I can get on and play trains! Here's some pics from last night with a few of my findings scrawled underneath:

post-6199-0-17557600-1500070842.jpg

post-6199-0-11891900-1500070843.jpg
New Farish Black 5 and Dapol B1 - floaty nature of front bogie requires careful driving through trailing points - will make the next set to finer tolerances

post-6199-0-53026000-1500070843.jpg
262 tank ran fine

post-6199-0-56080500-1500070844.jpg
Must finish Crab. Ran well, very surefooted through the points but heavier than the new generation of models

post-6199-0-06524300-1500070844.jpg
Dapol Brit and A3 ran well but 9F front bogie needs care. Short WB wagons ok but dont drive too quickly.

The main thing I found out was that I can't run a 9f passed the platform on Gresby in either direction. I'll be sure to take the camera out when I go back out to play later

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I had a bit more of a play this afternoon... with a few more steam trains as well as getting my own stock out. After yesterdays testing I decided to check a different 9f for running:

post-6199-0-18624000-1500070532.jpg
Is this a common 9f fault? Is there a cure?

A few years ago I put together a fish train for the club layout, which hopefully will see use on the next club layout, it was always a bit of a pain because it had stiff wheels and wire couplings so I thought I'd give it a test on Gresby:

It ran surprisingly well. I'm not sure what do do about the stiff wheels, but with a strong engine it runs well. So it won't be V2 powered

A proper East Midlands freight train.

I got a class 90 a few weeks ago - with an eye to the next layout - so I thought I'd give it a go with the Pretendolino coaches. I need to give them a bit of a weather, tone down the shiney roofs a bit!

I'll have to get a bit more stock out later!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
Embed vids
  • Like 5

Guest Moria

Hello Everybody!

I had a bit more of a play this afternoon... with a few more steam trains as well as getting my own stock out. After yesterdays testing I decided to check a different 9f for running:

Is this a common 9f fault? Is there a cure?

Simon

Were these early 9F's? if so, they probably don't have the sprung pony truck. If that's the case, you could try contacting Dapol see if they have any conversion kits left, or alternatively, you need a centering spring on the pony truck. If there is one, make sure it hasn't "sprung" out of the alignment pins.

Even so, the 9F's are great at isolating issues with tracklaying even when sprung. :no: (as an aside, they are also the widest locos I have, so they are great for determining platform spacing.. if a 9F fits, I think anything will).

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria
  • Like 1

The 9F is the later weathered one that the Chinese factory forgot to put the centring springs into- it even has the holes drilled. My earlier 9Fs all have springs retrofitted.

Took Papyrus out this afternoon- my video of it on the heavy fish train.

On the other hand dismantling my A4 to retrieve the drive shaft I lost inside it seems to have upset its riding.... Remedial work to be done.

All the very best

Les

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Haha well as i won't be buying a Minitrix 9F any time soon I can safely say that the 'clearance train' for the next layout will be a Dapol 9f with some Megafrets - the megafret I bought today will be staying safely in the stockbox for the forseeable future :(

Must finish the station!

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing some testing on Gresby before Mr Simon packs it away again.

This is an early Dapol B17 running my entire fleet of 21-ton hoppers.

http://youtu.be/wEm80VHY5cU

A different B17 STARTS the same train (67 hoppers and a brake). Also running the train today A3 "Lemberg" and 9F "Evening Star"

Note the camera fail at the end when the blutack holding it in place gave up the ghost...

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2