MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Not much work on the building today - but I did get a spot of primer on it:

post-6199-0-10729200-1500063322.jpg

I'm going to keep all the colours on the front muted, but with pink granite on the downstairs window pillar, and sandstone-ish for the other stonework.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Plenty of painting and planning done today - my camera won't pick up the plan tonight, but it picked up the painting :D

post-6199-0-81111400-1500062859.jpg

I rued the cornice and ornamental brickwork as soon as I started trying to paint it.  This is the first coat of each colour - except for the grey stone - the second coat of red and yellow sandstone on the pillars will be more muted, but the pink granite on the lower story window pillars will just be satin varnished to get the granitty sheen underneath the weathering.

I think I need a day off to let the paint dry, but I can get cracking with the new building and the pediment on this one - now I've worked out how I'm going to make it...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I can't tell if it looks any different after the second coat, I think I might have managed to blend the darker low tones and the lighter sandstone colour I'd mixed into pretty much the exact same colour I'd started with:

post-6199-0-51335600-1500062709.jpg

Time to think I think.  The last bit of painting I have to do on the front (as much as I've built it) is to 'colour in' the grey... which can wait until tomorrow

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Plenty done this week, firstly - I opened my magic-sources-folder (scrawly plans, pictures, instructions, etc...) and found that I'd slightly painted the office building the wrong colour :( I left it for a few days to see if i could convince myself it was fine, and then I repainted it:

post-6199-0-89508000-1500062524.jpg

It makes more sense now, before I couldn't think why the red columns on the first floor looked out for place - and I'd totally forgotten that they went all the way to the base!  I also did the flashing and added some railings to the roof:

post-6199-0-74165900-1500062525.jpg

The railing is from an old etch I've had in my bits box for 15+ years, but I seem to remember it being either Langley or PD Marsh, and its cut and bent to size.  I forgot to add it on the gable, so a short length was added later:

post-6199-0-37918800-1500062528.jpg

The railings don't show up too well on pictures - I've since painted them to match the window frames and I will weather them later when I finish the roof off.

post-6199-0-24477000-1500062526.jpg

Most of the work on the front is now finished, I need to do a bit of touching up on the chimney side, but not much as it will be mostly against the viaduct, the taller building needs finishing off and the the yard needs a lot of work:

post-6199-0-80145900-1500062526.jpg

I think its just painting left to do on the buildings, and I've got a vehicle to finish and some shrubs and junk to scatter round this derelict site.  A 4cm cameo right at one corner of the layout :)

Yesterday I did more work on the other building at this end of the layout - the exchange.  I took my camera and a measuring tape and measured one window and guessed everything else from the pictures:

post-6199-0-80211700-1500062528.jpg

The back

post-6199-0-42840300-1500062529.jpg

One of the modules the building is based around.  These pictures and the measurement were turned into a better plan:

post-6199-0-81414400-1500062529.jpg

It sort of makes sense... the diagonal cross-hatching is brick :)

post-6199-0-37760900-1500062527.jpg

I had to measure out the carpark before drawing the side of the building... then I built the carpark - I like playing with vans. 

I wasn't sure about having the exchange set back from the road, but it fills the gap between the two buildings in front of the railway, and the Victorian office should fill the space in front of the railway, so I reckon it will be OK - but we'll have to wait and see

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 5

" ... before I couldn't think why the red columns on the first floor looked out for place ... "

I do this so often:

Despite all the planning, there's always something that at the last minute confounds me as to why the bleedin' obvious didn't reveal itself until I've nearly finished everything else!

The Exchange looks interesting, and is a departure from the sort of buildings you've modelled before so good luck with that :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Madman! That cornicing looks fiddly verging on insanity... But the final result looks fantastic.

I am greatly taken with this thread. Your buildings and methods are inspirational, and will certainly help me with a future project of mine. Right up there with Frankland...only without the gramaphone and dinner jacket!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Thank you for your kind words :D quite a comparison to make after that row of shops (although Gresby's a much rougher area than Frankland, so I'd imagine the gramaphone has been stolen) but always glad to be an inspiration - I needed a few months to psych myself up before building that cornice, and its greatly simplified to compared to the original, but I'd like to have the pediment bit fitted by Easter...

The Exchange looks interesting, and is a departure from the sort of buildings you've modelled before so good luck with that :)

Hehe thank you - I thought it'd be OK and then I realised just how much of it was glass, and I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to fit the sides!  My initial thought was to paint in the glazing like I did on the car-lot, but the intricacy of the panels is what attracted me to the building and I wasn't sure if I could get it right by sticking it to the glazing.

But first things first, I realised that on Thursday when I drew out the plan I got the sides mixed up and drew out the front on the side (fool) so I corrected the plan using all the hightech methods at my disposal:

post-6199-0-55115100-1500062321.jpg

Can only do that on modular buildings!  It worked out quite well because it meant I could have a windowless panel on the ground floor of the front, which would make it easier to build (maybe)

Next up I made the main structure:

post-6199-0-08758400-1500062321.jpg

Its made from 2mm(ish) plasticard.  I thought that the front could hang from the internal floors in the thick ceilings (the ceiling panels are 11mm, but it won't be as thick internally because of the window frames.  I won't glue the building into the base until I've checked it for size on the layout.  I'll take some pictures of how it all fits together when I've properly worked it out!

post-6199-0-96589300-1500062321.jpg

The building is close to the viaduct so I didn't plan many windows on the side - I learned that lesson with the pub - here they are all scored and ready to be popped out

I decided that all the windows with vents (see plan) would be solid, so I went through and filled in behind the windows:

post-6199-0-36200600-1500062322.jpg

I've not done the front yet, but there aren't as many.  The gaps in the in-fill are for the pillars and waist-height beams which are coloured with their own frames.  I think it'll work...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

Simon

You went to school in a building where the side panels were hung from the main frame- that's why there were places where you colud see out through the gaps in the walls......    There were, as you know, places where you could pass bits of paper through the wall from one classroom to the next- most internal walls were suspended from the ceiling.   Just follow the prototype.

All the very best....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Simon

You went to school in a building where the side panels were hung from the main frame- that's why there were places where you colud see out through the gaps in the walls......    There were, as you know, places where you could pass bits of paper through the wall from one classroom to the next- most internal walls were suspended from the ceiling.   Just follow the prototype.

The exchange is more heavy duty than normal Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire clasp, the brickwork isn't in sections and theres much bigger sections between floors.  My problem was how to fix them on on the model which had to be strong and braced enough not to warp - but I think I've got it sorted now.

post-6199-0-93521800-1500062163.jpg

Yesterday I got all the windows framed on the side - I have the corner post to build, but I can't do that until I've done the front.  I'll make a start on the front tomorrow

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3

Hello Everybody!

The exchange is more heavy duty than normal Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire clasp, the brickwork isn't in sections and theres much bigger sections between floors.  My problem was how to fix them on on the model which had to be strong and braced enough not to warp -

Simon

That sounds as if the model will be more heavy duty than Nottinghamshire CLASP.......

L

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

These window frames are taking forever...

post-6199-0-12395400-1500059992.jpg

post-6199-0-74716900-1500059992.jpg

I've still got the corner pillars and the top floor left to build, but I'm not sure whether to brace the floor below before starting it? 

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

The top storey and the all the window frames are now completed:

post-6199-0-55533400-1500059851.jpg

All that remains are the corner pillars which need fitting when the two walls are glued together.

When I'd finished the outside walls attention turned to bracing the insides, first all the frames were trimmed and then 2mm plasticard was stuck on everywhere I could fit it:

post-6199-0-53955900-1500059852.jpg

post-6199-0-54841200-1500059853.jpg

(these are shots of the two different sides) After the sides had set over night under a thick book I stuck extra layers of bracing to the walls where the floors were going to sit:

post-6199-0-04800300-1500059855.jpg

Once the walls are sorted I can make corresponding fittings for the floors on the buildings skeleton, and it should be pretty much done... but first - Painting!

post-6199-0-04029000-1500059854.jpg

As always, I was surprised at the size of the building - this time it turned out bigger than I thought it would.  And there's all that roof to sort out :(

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Why thank you sir :D - the hardest part was trying to stick bits of window frame to nothing, I'm hoping the paint will firm some of the joins up a bit - and the glazing will help!  It was lucky that the real buildings built this way have massive pillars right by the windows so I could use the square section I still had from all the cable trunking - otherwise I have no idea how I would have got the windowed floors to behave.

The window frames are my usual mixture of evergreen strip 100 (0.25mm x 0.5mm) for the edging and the thin uprights, 102 (0.25mm x 1.0mm) for the frames that are glued to the windows (but with only 0.5mm showing) 105 (0.25mm x 2.5mm) for the waist weight horizontal panels and 114 (0.4mm x 2mm) for the wider uprights...

Gresby was brought to you by evergreen strip!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi!

Such intricate attention to Detail Simon. Amazing craftsmanship mr :)

All the best,
Mark

I do enjoy a crisp bit of CLASP. Well done, Simon!

Thank you for your comments gents!  I wasn't entirely sure the building I was basing the model on was CLASP, but looking at the window sections it can't not be really - its come out pretty well (so far)

Lots to do!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Its been one of those fiddly weeks, just fitting bits and bobs on the building just to get it ready for painting.  Its had its first coats:

post-6199-0-72718600-1499800748.jpg

The window frames have all had two coats of white, and window sills were fitted, and then the panels were painted in - a bit messily.  An hour with some really fine wet'n'dry cleaned up all the window frames, except for the top floor corner pillar which is going to need some more work and masking and stuff.  Anyway, here's how it looked this morning:

post-6199-0-90839800-1499800760.jpg

post-6199-0-35219100-1499800767.jpg

I gave the brickwork an undercoat, which turned out to be too brown when I saw it in the sun this morning, but I'm only going to alter the colour a little bit - a bit more grey and orange into the mix.  I think I squirted a bit too much glue into the corner, making that crazy square dent, I'll fix something over it when it comes time to detail it.

I know I said I'd stop cutting vehicles in half...

post-6199-0-90164800-1499800754.jpg

More pics as more progress is made :D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Today is Gresby's birthday on RM web - 3 today :D  Before its fourth birthday I would quite like to fit the sky...

The office block has taken up quite a lot of my modelling time:

post-6199-0-78732100-1499800487.jpg

Firstly I spent ages mixing and painting a nasty shade of brown for the brickwork.  I think it'll weather a bit better than it looks at the moment, although I might dry brush a slightly lighter shade over it

post-6199-0-84104200-1499800501.jpg

The fist floor has big windows which would be visible from the road, and therefore viewable on the layout, so I whipped up a bit of basic detail from offcuts of plasticard and a spare businessman

post-6199-0-14931100-1499800509.jpg

If it had been one of those larger scales I would have added more detail :P  The glazing was a pain to fit, I wish I'd thought to fit it between the pillars and the wall but I don't think it would have gone together as strongly.  The top floor will be a bit more painful...

I couldn't help myself... I cut the van up:

post-6199-0-66577500-1499800447.jpg

Its going to stay whole, just differently whole.  Gresby hasn't escaped the scrap metal thieves...

post-6199-0-09337400-1499800454.jpg

First up, I shaped and fitted a back for the cab - pretty tricky getting everything to stick - I'm in two minds about fitting a dashboard, on the one hand the van will be on the front half of the layout, on the other hand I think it will be parked facing the back so it might not be seen.  I did a bit of research online for dimensions and knocked up a new body:

post-6199-0-16976500-1499800461.jpg

post-6199-0-94022800-1499800468.jpg

Its just thin strips of Evergreen.  I'm just designing the chassis now after a false start making the mudguards, with 9ft of scenic area to finish I should spend far less time on a pair of wheels...

post-6199-0-60813900-1499800494.jpg

...but I'm pleased with how they turned out!  The van should be ready to stick together and paint in a day or two - but it will look something like this:

post-6199-0-17925800-1499800479.jpg

Just need to build some scrap :D

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 9

Nice work Mr Simon, impressive work on both building and van.

"... I spent ages mixing and painting a nasty shade of brown for the brickwork. I think it'll weather a bit better than it looks at the moment, although I might dry brush a slightly lighter shade over it."

I think one of the skills we acquire over time (and only through learning by luck and error) is about how different the finished product will look compared to the base colours we start with. Dry brushing / weathering / weathering powders can sometimes change the degree to which the base coat reflects the light to quite a large degree, and in turn the overall finished effect to the model as a whole.

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

Hi Simon

Great Photos, How do you manager to model so small, I have big hands and fingers, Fingers like cows teats, how do get on modelling this small, when I key my password in I hit 3 keys at the same time to login on here lol....

I do take my hat off to those who model N-Gauge, Brilliant to see mate...

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David!  At the moment I think I've got two kits (a portacabin and a phonebox) and everything else is scratchbuilt - I'm not against kits, I just had a very narrow scenic area (1ft including the trackbed) and I had a very specific idea of the look I wanted.  I'm glad this building is only three storeys though - I'd be a gittering mess if I'd made any the size of those on Cross Street!

Nice work Mr Simon, impressive work on both building and van.

"... I spent ages mixing and painting a nasty shade of brown for the brickwork. I think it'll weather a bit better than it looks at the moment, although I might dry brush a slightly lighter shade over it."

I think one of the skills we acquire over time (and only through learning by luck and error) is about how different the finished product will look compared to the base colours we start with. Dry brushing / weathering / weathering powders can sometimes change the degree to which the base coat reflects the light to quite a large degree, and in turn the overall finished effect to the model as a whole.

Thanks Mark,

I'm still not entirely sure what went wrong with the brown - I know I added too much pale grey to lighten it up and it went a sort of chocolate milkshake-ish colour and for some reason I was loathed to start mixing again - the top coat need to be redder but lighter I think (60s brick brown are such nuisance colours!) It definitely needs weathering, but only a little on the brickwork - the windows have been recently repainted. 

I think a daylight  bulb is the next thing on my shopping list!

Hi Simon

Great Photos, How do you manager to model so small, I have big hands and fingers, Fingers like cows teats, how do get on modelling this small, when I key my password in I hit 3 keys at the same time to login on here lol....

I do take my hat off to those who model N-Gauge, Brilliant to see mate...

Jamie

Hi thanks!  I'm not sure how I manage - I've got wide stubby fingers (2 button fingers I'd say) but they seem quite dextrous... and I use tweezers a lot and try to make everything out of Evergreen strip :)

Hi Simon

I have used all my 'Likes' but I will return to 'LIKE' tomorrow on your Photos as they are very good, when you put the Coin next to it to compare...

Jamie

Hehe cheers Jamie!  The coin is good for showing the size, I mainly use it so the camera has something to focus on - the autofocus thing won't pick up things smaller than about half an inch in the natural light I have available (Georgian House in January = dark little cave - even right in front of the windows)

When I was putting the pictures up last night I realised that I had forgotten to show that I'd also made and started painting the roof:

post-6199-0-26186900-1499799952_thumb.jpg

Its in undercoat, the top coat will be more concretey.  I've also half glazed and fitted the floor on the top floor - so now I can just stick the office furniture straight in as I make it...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 7