MrSimon

Glad the show went well Mr Simon.

The office furniture and copier look great.

"Maybe these are something else I should have etched... or shapeway'd..."

I suppose the dilemma there is you can either just get on with it, and job done, or work out drawings and plans, send them off, wait a few days or a week or two, hope they come back as you imagined they would look, and then assemble them.

Sometimes I find myself just wanting to get on with the job here and now. Having said that, there are some longer term, more complicated projects I have in mind that probably would justify the extra work and patience required in using a third party to create a kit.

Either way, it's always a delight to catch up with Gresby :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Be good to see the TPE purple running about when you get around to sorting it out.....I still think it is the best livery applied to the 158 fleet so far :)

Hehe thanks - I can't wait to get it working :)

They make a nice self contained train - maybe its because they're three car units?  They always looked more 'express-ish' than the 155/156s when I used to go over the transpennine routes to uni.  I'm in two minds about it being the best livery though - I always liked the original West Yorkshire Metrotrain livery on them too :D

Glad the show went well Mr Simon.

The office furniture and copier look great.
"Maybe these are something else I should have etched... or shapeway'd..."

I suppose the dilemma there is you can either just get on with it, and job done, or work out drawings and plans, send them off, wait a few days or a week or two, hope they come back as you imagined they would look, and then assemble them.

Sometimes I find myself just wanting to get on with the job here and now. Having said that, there are some longer term, more complicated projects I have in mind that probably would justify the extra work and patience required in using a third party to create a kit.

Either way, it's always a delight to catch up with Gresby :)

Hehe thanks Mark

I think if I were to go down the etched route it would only be a sort of wrap-around leg frame (all the other parts would still be plasticard strips) and only if I needed a lot of them - so I could get uniformity when they're in front of large windows of large office buildings. 

The next layout I'd like to build would be more town/city centre based, which will need bigger buildings - along the lines of Dale St in Manchester - but I don't know yet.

No ones having fancy chairs though!

post-6199-0-82234400-1499464859.jpg

I put the furniture in the office, just to see how it would look:

post-6199-0-75354900-1499464867_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-82981500-1499464876_thumb.jpg

I won't need to go overboard with the details on the desks away from the windows; which is great.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Guys!

Fantastic work on that desk/computer/chair Mr Simon :)

[fan-tas-tik]
adjective
conceived by an unrestrained imagination, extravagantly fanciful; marvelous.

I'd agree with the unrestrained imagination... Over the years many people have said I aught to be restrained :D

That desk is in the car showroom arch with the cut-in-half cars infront of the big windows at the front of the layout - I don't think I'll be adding as much detail to the desks in the office block... I think...

Oh I'm going to have to try harder!

The detail you strive for is never short of inspiring! :D

Regards

Lee

Don't try too much harder Lee!  Hare's Run was great and I'm sure you're new one will be too - detail the bits that you know will be seen and never forget the usefulness of net curtains :D

Cheers :D

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

Surprisingly little done this week - I've made the grills to go on the outside but they're not painted or attached yet.  They're also very hard to photo until they're painted, but I managed to get a clear shot of a pair of rejects prototypes:

post-6199-0-81778800-1499465060_thumb.jpg

The main problem was they were too thick - mainly because the backing was too thick - but I've worked it out now and will post pictures when either of my cameras will focus on them :(

I got the office furniture painted:

post-6199-0-48185800-1499465070_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-85211000-1499465077_thumb.jpg

post-6199-0-55889900-1499465085_thumb.jpg

I've got some office equipment left to make, and the blinds, and some workers - but not too many - and then I want to get cracking with some stock for a bit I think...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I'm back - all the way from page 15!  I had a bit of a break, mostly through office-furniture-based-boredom :O but last week I opened my bureau again and did a bit of tinkering.  Firstly; I remembered I had a spare class 158 mechanism (that just needed fixing) and a dummy unit that I've not been using - so I could get the new TPE bodies onto a chassis:

post-6199-0-03191200-1499465969.jpg

I've got some air dams on the way.  I'd assumed the chassis had split gears, but it doesn't its got a slightly wonky bearing - so some new bearings are on the way too.  Should be running in now time!

I also found a Porterbrook class 47 online the other week, I've wanted one in this livery since the prototype was painted.  It needs a bit of work doing to it, so I'll detail it.  After talking to Gordon and Graham at Tonbridge I decided to give the replacement wheels a try:

post-6199-0-09938500-1499465956.jpg

post-6199-0-91827500-1499465962.jpg

They make quite a difference, and is definitely the answer to getting rid of the last few sets of pizza-cutters from favorite old engines :D

I'll do all the detailing etc on my workbench thing; but I'm going to try and finish some buildings on here...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

I was surprised just how big a difference they made - I think I'll be getting a few more locos changed over - 2 31s, a 20 and a 37 for a start! 

Not much done this week, but there have been developments:

post-6199-0-17092500-1499465567.jpg

A package came from BR lines, with the air-dams for the 158 (I borrowed some wheels from some tankers for the un-powered cars) and the new bearings - it now runs like a dream

post-6199-0-04990300-1499465581.jpg

When I moved back from Helsinki the removal men/the storage men dropped my old class 90, breaking the bogie clip, and the buffer beam - so I ordered some new parts, and with some new wheels its turned out good as new.  Its not going to be run on Gresby, but definitely on the next layout! 

Does anyone know what the sort of beige used in the Intercity livery is (like on the swallow livery coaches) and the dark grey?  I fancy repainting the 90 into the other Intercity livery...

post-6199-0-94197100-1499465597.jpg

I sourced a chassis for the CT body shells I picked up at Tonbridge - I need to secure the plough thing.

I was rummaging in the stock boxes last night looking for somewhere to put the class 90 and found some class 47s.  I'd completely forgotten about them, in all the house moves:

post-6199-0-25027700-1499465622.jpg

post-6199-0-06728700-1499465630.jpg

I'm not sure whether they'll be used on Gresby, but I spent hours last night stripping the chassis and cleaning and lubricating them, so they run OK.  The paint all needs a bit of tidying up, new wheels, and weathering, but should keep me busy :D

I must get on with the buildings.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Neal!

It'll be good to get it finished and out on the road :D  I just need some more plasticard then I can get cracking with the buildings again!

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I'm putting it down to the heat, but I've actually been doing a bit of work on a building.  Its been a while! 

post-6199-0-73243300-1499463774.jpg

I must admit I'd been a bit stumped about how to do the top of the building - the main problem was how to do the stone lattice thing in the balustrade bit.  On Saturday night, probably because of the heat and the drink, I cracked open the trust Evergreen 100 strip and got to work:

post-6199-0-49450500-1499463752.jpg

I thought the best way would be to make a full lattice and then cut out the bits I didn't want.  I laid the first side going one way and then the second layer going the other...

post-6199-0-05319200-1499463763.jpg

I filled about half of the gaps, and then filed it smooth, but the picture of that didn't come out.  Then I started making noises about a pigeon nest...

While waiting for the solvents to dry I whipped the Central Trains 170 out so I could repaint the plough - this also involved fully weathering the chassis:

post-6199-0-24978200-1499463786.jpg

post-6199-0-58315600-1499463792.jpg

post-6199-0-02390000-1499463801.jpg

post-6199-0-80357700-1499463809.jpg

I want to tone down the headlights a bit, and tone down the yellow on the bogies, as well as a quick dust over with the powders, but I'm quite happy with how its turned out.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham!

I just saw a picture of one while researching something else, and only meant to do the ploughs :D Eventually its how I'd like all my units to look, but I think I've only done 2 or 3 now... Lots to do!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello Everybody!

I'd been staring at the top of the building and couldn't work out why it didn't quite look right...

It wasn't ornate enough!

post-6199-0-76032500-1499462950.jpg

The lattice bit is only placed on at the mo, but it'll be stuck down with a sort of rail and topping, and there'll be capping stones on the top of the pillars.

I just need to do the other half now, with slightly rounded pillars... gulp.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3

That 170 weathering looks great Simon! Shows how good the model can look, despite not being all bells and whistles like the 150 etc. 

The other simple mod I've been planning to do is print a destination label in reverse on clear decal film, i.e. a black block with "white" text. That said, I have seen Bombardier units with faulty customer information screens that default to solid yellow\orange, as Bachmann seem to like to depict! 

Justin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That 170 weathering looks great Simon! Shows how good the model can look, despite not being all bells and whistles like the 150 etc. 

The other simple mod I've been planning to do is print a destination label in reverse on clear decal film, i.e. a black block with "white" text. That said, I have seen Bombardier units with faulty customer information screens that default to solid yellow\orange, as Bachmann seem to like to depict! 

Justin

Thanks Justin!

The 170's an OK model, I think the cab could maybe be better - but as every batch of 170s seemed to be slightly different I guess they had to compromise - and I'm not overly fussed about the bells or the whistles :D  I've still got my 150 on the 'to weather' list, but I'm working up to it!

I'm having a think about what to do with the destination display - they were slightly darker orangey-brown than the Bachmann shade with the text being bright orange (although I remember when they were brand new and occasionally used through Newark Castle the destination would just reading like this [ .                         ] and we had to guess it was the Nottingham train) when I've got the CT/MML repaint finished and weathered my MML 170 I'll look into repainting the displays into a better shade and do them all to match.

Can I ask if you've any idea on how to model the corridor connectors on your 170? I'm stumped with what to do on mine.

Hi Jonas,

I've not really done anything about the corridor connectors on the 170, but I did replace the couplings so that they nearly touch:

post-6199-0-34616600-1499463349.jpg

I used a pair of old Red Caboose dummy knuckle couplings, one medium one short, so bring the gap in enough to look OK but open enough to go through set-track points.  I don't think they're readily available anymore, but I'm sure I read somewhere about alternatives (although I can't remember the brand) 

When I next get the weathering powders out I'll rub some track-dirt up from the bottom of the connectors, and some exhaust dust down from the tops, as well as adding a bit of scorch/rust to the tops of the exhausts... but I don't really plan on doing anything else to it.

Hope that helps - I'd imagine you could lash up a sponge/foam corridor connector, but I'm not sure how much that would restrict movement on curves.  I must admit, the gap between coaches is something I tend to ignore once I've fitted closer couplings.  What sort of mods are you planning for yours?

(Must see why the dummy car is sitting slightly higher...)

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I use the Tomix Scharfenberg couplings that fit into the rapido box. They give a similar but slightly bigger gap. DCC Supplies had some at DEMU last weekend.

I have tried small bits of foam but it caused the units to derail due to the friction when going through pointwork and on curves in the fiddleyard that are 11.3 inches eadius.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

I'd never thought to use the Tomix Scharfenberg's between the coaches - I use them on the ends of my 158s so I can couple them up to my Dapol units.  Do you think they'd work on Farish MK3s?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

I'd never thought to use the Tomix Scharfenberg's between the coaches - I use them on the ends of my 158s so I can couple them up to my Dapol units.  Do you think they'd work on Farish MK3s?

Cheers

Simon

No reason why they shouldn't although I haven't tried as I am slowly converting the Farish mk3's with the Dapol NEM conversion boxes

Ian

• Like 2

Very interesting, thanks guys. I was hoping there would be some way to eliminate the gap. Maybe I will experiment with a bit of foam (and build a dead straight layout to run it on :-p)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Haha good luck with the straight layout Jonas :P - I've got the gap down to 1mm, which is good enough for me :D

Hi Ian,

I must have a play with some of those NEM boxes - I've been squeezing some ones off scrap wagons or the fronts of 66s into a few diesels, but I've got some wagons that'll need them.  Do you use them with the dummy couplings or working ones?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

I'll give them a try; although I've got a slight dip in one of the platform roads on Gresby at the moment which has been playing havoc with the Pretendolino randomly uncoupling - so I'll need to sort that before converting too much over to the Dapol couplers.

Cheers

Simon