MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Cuckoo - I was wondering what had happened to Marsden!  Glad I could help inspire you to get it finished :)

Here's one last picture I forgot to post while I was home:

post-6199-0-00424100-1499374866.jpg

The exchange glued in position, with the packing bits painted and glued in position.  The roof has come back with me to detail, and so I can make a big vent/pipe thing to go down the edge hiding the join with the backscene.

I've got a box full of templates for buildings and bits of scenery to build, but first I'm working on some stock while I'm off this week.

Happy New Year Everybody!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 4

Gresby's bigger section now in dry storage at the Bingham MRC clubroom.

post-13358-0-49555300-1451776695_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for Mr Simon to pop up and do bits on it.  There are 3 other stored layouts in here to keep it company.......   The two bits on the right are going nowhere in a hurry, salvaged from a home layout from a deceased local resident.  The frame under each of these is 6" by 2" timber.  The two sections will be incorporated into Phoenix Park's successor sometime after 2019....

I will put Gresby's name on its legs, however, to prevent them being accidentally recycled.

Les

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Tadaaaaaaa!

I actually did some modelling for Gresby!  Obviously I didn't finish any of the many many part finished buildings - I started a new one :D

This is the last stand-alone building between the track and the front of the layout.  It's a 1930's detached house.

post-6199-0-07271200-1499372420.jpg

I started on the garage, mostly because I was prevaricating around finishing the coach on my workbench - or painting the two massive figures behind the house.  

post-6199-0-76261500-1499372427.jpg

The floor plate was cut out at Christmas, but I'm going to need to carve out a bit more hillside behind the house so it doesn't snag.

post-6199-0-58524700-1499372434.jpg

Yesterday it rained so I made the brick cladding and window frames.  I decided this time I would stick the frames down and then stick the cladding on to the skeleton.  Once the brickwork and window frames have been painted I will glaze the windows from behind and then stick the internal floors etc in before starting on the roof.

post-6199-0-65450200-1499372450.jpg

post-6199-0-14816100-1499372441.jpg

I have nearly finished the brickwork around the front, I'm just working out the best way to build a bow window and I'll get cracking.  Also, I need to work out the best way to do render, or maybe even tile it.

post-6199-0-24133800-1499372462.jpg

The garage just needs the door, roof, facias and guttering finishing off.  When I next go up I'll make sure I've got the right bits of plasticard etc to work on the garden.  My aim is to get this house fitted to the layout without having to test fit it.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I didn't think I'd get much done this weekend, but the weather was cold, grey, and windy in London... so as well as working on some bits of stock I got on with the house.

Firstly, I got on with detailing the garage:

post-6199-0-93898300-1499371985.jpg

post-6199-0-65326200-1499371993.jpg

post-6199-0-63634000-1499372000.jpg

Now I've seen it zoomed that large I need to just neaten up the top of the fascia on the back.  I also need to stick on the thing that goes along the top of the roof (I have completely forgotten what they're called), build the door, downpipes, and fit the side gate.  And paint it.

post-6199-0-16193700-1499372011.jpg

I have also started painting the brickwork, it has had the first coat, then I painted the window frames where I had splashed them.  I also added the waste pipes.  It looks a bit rubbish half painted, but I wanted to get the windows etc painted before starting on the top coats.

post-6199-0-33383800-1499372018.jpg

post-6199-0-20855800-1499372031.jpg

The eagle eyed among you will notice that the brickwork changes colour on one third of the house.  This was supposed to show that it had been extended and the bricks not matched up.  The colours aren't quite how I wanted them to look, but I'm going to sort this out on later coats.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 7

Nice to see things happening on Gresby Simon.

On the back of the garage, the little white box thing sticking out: Is it an alarm? Or motion activated exterior light?

Or maybe the inhabitats of the house are voyeurs and it's CCTV for spying on the neighbours gardens! 

Just curious :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mark! It's really good to be working on buildings again - I don't know why I leave it so long between bouts of building...

The little box is a bird box, I've only painted inside the hole so far. I do need to do some outside lights though!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ha no birds I think, but never say never...

Yesterday when the weather was rubbish I got a lot done on the house, and pretty much finished the garage:

post-6199-0-92106000-1499371710.jpg

I need to tidy up the beams, and weather everything - but I'll weather the whole house at once (only a little though, Gresby is run down but clean)

post-6199-0-87697500-1499371703.jpg

The bird box in all its glory!  I want to neaten up the window frames and then I can glaze them, put basic interiors in (mostly shadows) and then I can start the roof.

While everything was setting I also spent an hour building a staircase:

post-6199-0-48301300-1499371717.jpg

I need a rummage through my boxes to see if I have some suitable fencing for the area between the two buildings.  And some patio chairs...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 10

I still have some leftover seagulls (and another swan) if you want to populate the bird box. :)

Not quite as daft as it seems.  When living in Hartlepool in a top floor flat near Rossmere Park (about 10 years before you were born) I came out onto the balcony - yes, what is now the upmarket Balmoral Court used to be Brodick Grove and have balconies- to do a quick double take.  There on the apex of the roof opposite was perched... a goose.

It wasn't entirely unknown to find duck sh1t on the coal bunker on the balcony....

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

Haha thanks I've got some chickens, or I might see if I can carve a crow, but I'm probably going to leave it unpopulated.

Edited by MrSimon

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I was as surprised as you that some work has happened on Gresby - for the first time in a few months!  I was looking for something on my desk and found the tram body that was going to be a chicken coup.

post-6199-0-05612200-1499371166.jpg

It has now been upgraded to 'derelict cottage'

post-6199-0-15722600-1499371173.jpg

post-6199-0-60305300-1499371180.jpg

post-6199-0-48355300-1499371199.jpg

This includes my first ever tree.  I'm not sure if this particular cottage will make it in to the National Collection, but so far no one in Gresby has set fire to it, so there's always hope!

The tree is made from coated wire for Christmas Decorations.  I twisted it into shape and then coated it with super glue.  

post-6199-0-12498200-1499371208.jpg

post-6199-0-31781700-1499371216.jpg

When the glue was dry I covered the lower branches with putty which I sanded smooth when it was dry.  I have since painted it matt black.  I'm not sure what to do next, I know I need to stick something on to represent the finer branches but I need to look around online to see what that is.

When I designed the stores/pumphouse area I left space for some sort of transformer - I assumed I'd have to scratch build something or search at exhibitions... then in the last journal (or maybe the one before) there was a review of some transformers from N Brass, and they were the right size!

post-6199-0-68533700-1499371238.jpg

Its 3D printed and seems pretty crisp.  I painted it with Humbrol for the grey and then acrylics for the rest.  i don't know a lot about equipment like this, but I assume it stays pretty clean.

post-6199-0-65818700-1499371247.jpg

Here is the transformer in situ between the two buildings.

I'm nipping home in September so it would be good to be able to permanently fix down some of these buildings while I'm up.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 5

Hi Simon

Some thoughts on modelling transformers, based on my work experience in dealing with utility companies and being lazy enough to use standard products where possible! I had intended to get one of the N Brass models, but the last time I encountered the N Brass stand, they has sold out.

The N Brass transformer is intended (I think) for an OHLE supply use. A transformer to feed a building is a little different. Generally both the incoming high voltage and outgoing low voltage cables would be underground rather than from above as shown on the model. The insulators on the top should therefore be removed, unless you intend to connect the transformer to overhead power lines. ( Possible in a rural area, very unlikely in a town/city centre) The cooling pipes on the short sides need to be converted to cable boxes which are around half the length of the cooling pipes.

Installation wise, the transformer would be mounted on a concrete base. Power companies don't like burying cables under concrete, so the surrounding area would be left with a gravel topping. An alternative would be to run the low voltage cables into the building within a cable duct, represented by a series of cable duct covers on the surface, the Ratio product would be ideal for this.

The fences / walls around the transformer need to be at least 6 feet high with suitable notices warning etc.

Hope this helps

Nick  

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing - HV has always been a mystery to me. I've got the 6ft walls there, I'd got ducts planned to go on the floor between the transformer and the building behind, I'd not thought of putting it on a plinth but I will.

To bring the HV in would it just go straight out to the road underground? On the other side of the wall there is a path but then just earth - would I need to raise the path? The factory's on the edge of town, to go from above would I need to put a pole by the enclosure?

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've been north and actually done some work on Gresby.  Not the full working session I had planned, but enough to measure up what I need for the while I'm up over Christmas.

I also fitted some scenery I made down here:

post-6199-0-19916400-1499370827.jpg

post-6199-0-80829800-1499370835.jpg

It doesn't look much, but it is the raised base for the factory, with an embankment up to the track level and another down to the pub beer garden.  I need to finish the factory and hope to fit it at Christmas.

After a bit of measuring up north I was able to come back and start working on the rest of the factory site:

post-6199-0-49333900-1499370844.jpg

This is the bit of bank next to the oil unloading siding.  I need to build the unloading pipe-work and the bank between the siding and the mainline.  More of this in future posts.

My main building project has been the house.  I spent an afternoon glazing and detailing the upstairs windows and then I built the roof skeleton.

post-6199-0-99598100-1499370812.jpg

I also added barge boards and the decorative beams on the gable.

The last few modelling sessions have included sticking on York Model Making tiles on:

post-6199-0-06324300-1499370852.jpg

post-6199-0-62750600-1499370859.jpg

post-6199-0-38017400-1499370866.jpg

I need to tidy up some of the corners, and I have to add the cap tiles to all the ridges which should stop it looking as messy.  Then I had to fit gutters, downpipes, and detail the ground floor.  The final job will be the large bay/bow window on the front.  I think I know how I'm going to build it, I'm just a bit too chicken to start!

I've got a stack of bits I want to get ready for the Christmas working session, and some stock to finish over the next month...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 10

I always enjoy a visit to Gresby Mr Simon, and in particular your buildings, always full of studied character.

In particular I like the semi on the right, it looks like the upstairs is pebble-dashed? Is that right? If so I'm curious to know what you used to represent it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Southern Boy, it's always good to do some work on the layout in the hope that it will ever be finished and out on the road!

It is meant to be pebbledash, eventually it will cover the whole of the upper level of the front, but as I'm still in denial about the feature window I am saving it until last. I built an under-layer of plasticard, which has the window detail and glazing on it and then superglued extra fine wet and dry paper on. I painted it biscuit-ty brown but I might paint over it in a posher shade of cream.

Ideally I want this house finished by Christmas, but that might be wishful thinking... How's Frankland?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've been quite busy, but not much to show just yet (half built walls and a bit of terra-forming from mount board and filler are quite dull to look at.  When I was at home at Christmas I cut out some balsa templates of the area between the fuel siding an the main line, with the intention of building the scenery here in London and fitting it on a visit in the summer.  As the year moved back towards Christmas I thought I'd better make a start...

So far I have built a bank and some hard standing, and a bunded area for the fuel pipe runs.  The next thing to do is to build the bits where the pipes connect to the discharge tanks on the tankers.  I had marked out their positions using my Farish TEAs, then these came:

post-6199-0-76936900-1499288114.jpg

I either need one more or 5 more of these (if there's going to be another run), these are easily the best wagons I own!

I seem to have a massive amount to finish before going back for Christmas...

Lots to do!

Simon
Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

After quite a lot of procrastination (including tiling the roof, painting the backs of the barge boards, and fitting the gutters) I finally started making the bow-window.

I was worried it would be too fragile.  Usually when I make a window I glue Evergreen strip onto the the rear face of the aperture and then glaze it when I've finished painting the frames.  After a lot of thought I decided to make this window the other way round.

post-6199-0-68543200-1499289289.jpg

post-6199-0-08899300-1499289298.jpg

First I built formers for the brick and tile wall parts at the top and middle of the window, and glued walls onto the upstairs.  Then I painted the interior walls and floor.  I also added one of those three-pane mirrors in the window.

Next I measured and cut the glazing for the windows.  Usually I use a stash of the thin perspex inserts from Dapol boxes, but this called for something much sturdier to form the base of the structure - so I used the 1mm glazing I've been using on my O gauge tram.

post-6199-0-34079400-1499289311.jpg

Like the other windows I painted curtains etc on the room side of the glass and fitted it with liquid glazing.  I'm waiting for it all to set before starting on the plasticard frames.

As part of the procrastination (above) I made a start on a grounded coach body for Rise Park (club layout, on here somewhere).

post-6199-0-73001200-1499289281.jpg

post-6199-0-29563000-1499289319.jpg

I was supposed to build it from a brass kit, but I found a shredded wheat coach on my desk which I thought would be stronger (and I could use the brass kit for a coach).  The sliding door is from a Foxhunter fish van kit.  I need to work on the roof and a few bits of detail, but I just need to paint it now... and get on with the window :)

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I think this might be the last N Gauge building I ever make with a bay/bow window - I'm glad I didn't plan a whole street of them!  Anyway, it's coming on quite well if I do say so my self.  I had to use superglue to stick the frames onto the super-thick tram perspex - I don't like to use it around windows, I've fogged far too many up.

post-6199-0-06936100-1499289140.jpg

I'm in two minds about adding extra frames around the toplights, I might stare at it a bit before doing anything.

post-6199-0-33294100-1499288871.jpg

The next thing I need to do is finish the rendering on the upstairs, including the tile-layer like above the door, and then the big mock-tudor brackets to hold up the gable.  I have some tiles on order for the empty bit between the two levels, then I can get on and finish painting it...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 7

As always, very nice Mr Simon.

I opted for Kestrel Kits for my 1930s semis: You've taken the more challenging route of making your own, and what with curtains and all you've done a wonderful job :)

"I might stare at it a bit before doing anything" - I know where you're coming from :)  Well worth putting time and thought into these things for the most satisfactory results.