MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys!

eastwestdivide - I've painted it to match the rest o the track, but I like the idea of a carrier bag - maybe snagged on a tuft of weed?

Me neither Millerhillboy, although I think maybe getting the mower up to the top would be worse than the actual mowing...?

Tonight I packed up all the bits from I used on the layout, and the stock ready to go home tomorrow. But not before making a short film about the fuel deliveries to Gresby.  Watching it play back (and realising that wasn't a low-res editing screen) I have decided that most of my Christmas money needs to go on a better camera...

I took plenty of pictures today too, but I'll put them on another day - just to spread Christmas out...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
Embed video
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I'm back home and ready to get cracking with some more buildings, without the distraction of running trains (which was fun, if only I'd brought more up with me)

I worked out how to embedded videos into the posts instead of links to youtube, so have edited the earlier posts on here.  Here are the last of the pictures I took of the completed works:

post-6199-0-25194800-1499205222.jpg

The fuel unloading road. I have taken measurements for a small cabin that I need to make, and there are few other details I need to attach as well as the fence.  I also need a pair of buffer stops and I think maybe a small cabin and smoking shelter at the far end of the hardstanding.

post-6199-0-23102400-1499205229.jpg

The house.  There are plenty of things I need to do still, the railway fence between the bridge and tunnel, the shrubs and undergrowth on the embankment.  In the back garden there's the shed and chalet to build, as well as the other details like the vegetable patch and compost heap.

post-6199-0-66313800-1499205174.jpg

This has been sat around since page 11, and it is finally stuck down.  I need to add some trees/shrubs on the banks around it, but it's pretty much complete.

post-6199-0-90153400-1499205182.jpg

And that's it; I've got loads to finish, including:

• the arches, builders merchants, and carpark area,
  • the brewery buildings at the end of the layout,
  • a roof and fence for the telephone exchange,
  • the entire area behind the mainline (except for the factory), including the pub and workshop,
  • the car lot and derelict area behind,
  • re-surface the platform and finish the station buildings,
  • coping stones on the viaduct,
  • the rest of the hill that's not the garden,

...and that's just the scenery!  So thank you everyone for continuing to see what's happening in Gresby, welcome to everyone who's just joined in, there'll be plenty more to see as I work through that list.  Thanks also for all the 'likes' and encouragement over the years.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 9

You're certainly cracking on with the layout. Is there a target deadline to get it finished by - perhaps for an exhibition? ;-)

I like the way you are undertaking the modelling, making buildings and creating the scenery, rather than just opening boxes and plonking the contents down. It gives a more cohesive, properly structured and realistic look.

G.

Very nice progress Simon,

Here's a few snaps of what i was on about with couplings,

Before with standard sprung couplings.

post-6774-0-87733400-1483046585_thumb.jpg

Underneath view, yellow paint denotes the short fixed coupling.

post-6774-0-82668400-1483046591_thumb.jpg

coupled up and closer.

post-6774-0-31299000-1483046598_thumb.jpg

Radius 1 curves are possible like this.

post-6774-0-68773800-1483046604_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham

I'm definitely going to give that a try - I've got two rakes of coaches that will fix, it looks much more reliable and easy to couple than the N-Brass tiny hooks system (which is great, but always ends up bent when I've tried to use it at exhibitions)

You're certainly cracking on with the layout. Is there a target deadline to get it finished by - perhaps for an exhibition? ;-)

I like the way you are undertaking the modelling, making buildings and creating the scenery, rather than just opening boxes and plonking the contents down. It gives a more cohesive, properly structured and realistic look.

G.

Thanks Grahame,

I've always preferred making buildings; opening boxes would have been much easier, but apart from the Great Central platform buildings nothing else fit (either fit with the look I was going for, or was the right size for all the odd shaped plots). There are some bits I've bought in, like a Great Central plate layers hut, containers, and the Knightwing portacabin kit; but everything else is based on a real building - keeps Gresby looking unique . I'm pretty sure that keeping the layout cohesive was one of the key tips in the first or second modelling books you brought out... it just stuck in my mind.

There's no deadline at the moment, I want it completely finished by 2020, because 10 years is a long build; but there aren't any exhibitions planned (but, touch wood I reckon I'd be able to do one towards the back end of 2018). I reckon I'm too old now to get in the Junior Modeller!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!  Thank you David :)

Just time for one last bit of progress in 2016 - I've been working on the bit of bare trackbed in front of the pub and factory.  "How?" you ask, "the layout is so far away from you". 

Before I came back up I made some paper templates:

post-6199-0-03383600-1499204691.jpg

I have either a paper pattern or a baseplate for every bit bit of flat baseboard left to complete - so I don't really have any excuse for not getting on with it.

post-6199-0-55666400-1499204698.jpg

I used the template to cut out the area in mounting board, then checked that I could fit the features I wanted to include in the space.

post-6199-0-75658300-1499204705.jpg

Next, I peeled off the top layers of card and then gouged ruts etc into it - it isn't a very remarkable bit of scenery, just the rutted track that Network Rail/Railtrack/The PW boys used to get down to the relay cabinet that replaced 'Gresby Main Box'.

post-6199-0-60559600-1499204723.jpg

There are still bits of detail to add, somewhere I've got some crash barrier left over from the fuel road, and there are some other bits of detail on the way - then it will just need bedding in next time I'm up.

post-6199-0-89397200-1499204736.jpg

post-6199-0-93986300-1499204712.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've got a pack of track workers to replace the man with the spade.  I'm also pretty sure I remember someone produced a set of wing mirrors for the Oxford Big Transit van, I'll have to have a read back through - I need to take the front wheels off and set them to be turning out the gate.

I haven't decided what will be on the other side of the fence yet, but I think that's one for next year...

Hope you all have a very happy New Year!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys!

I quite like doing the videos, I just need to get better at filming them :) - the layout has plenty of different angles to shoot them from, so they're not too repetitive... next time I just need to take more stock!

I still can't get my puddles to work, but while they were in the grumbling pile I built a shed:

post-6199-0-78543400-1499204398.jpg

It's to go in the back garden, and I need to make sure I don't loose it before the next time I go to work on the layout...

post-6199-0-34374700-1499204407.jpg

I've just got some clutter to stack against it, maybe some grow-bags or something.

I've also got one of the half-finished buildings out of the box.  I think it's a garage, but i was never clear about that... it's based on Kwick-fit in Newark, I started it on page 20.

post-6199-0-90478900-1499204413.jpg

post-6199-0-43970200-1499204424.jpg

post-6199-0-43460500-1499204432.jpg

I've already accidentally snapped a hole in the front wall while taking out the bracing that wasn't bracing anything, and have done some work on strengthening the front, which was bowing inwards.  The roof, front and back need some work - the side is OK because it's so close to the viaduct.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 8

I started the day by trying the short couplings on those MK2s. 

With one long and one short I it works fine around the outer track, but the inner is too tight and the coaches lock and de-rail on the corners.  I'm pretty sure I saw someone printed some slightly longer short ones, I'll have to have a look.

Hallo,

How tight are the curves? I have MK2s with 2 Dapol short couplings where the corridor connections touch on the straight and even on a hidden stretch of my track which is at the most 1st radius there is no buffer lock

There is a longer short coupling (Arnold hook) see post 79 from me in the MK2A thread - link below. Werner Eichhorn speaks/writes English and you can use PayPal to avoid unnecessarily high costs. WIth the EUR/GBP exchange rate the price may be higher than many people in the UK are willing to pay.

hope this helps

es grüßt

pc

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53424-farish-announce-br-mark-2a-coaches/page-4 

Hmm, I'm not sure that that is true. The buffers on farish mk2's project further than the corridor connectors so if they nearly touch on the straight then they would barely go around any corners (Unless of course you are talking about the new farish Mk2 A/B type which has cammed couplers which stretch out on curves and are no problem). I have mine nearly touching but I have cut off the buffer heads on mine and glued them back on further back to replicate the retracted position of real stock. They sail around 1st rad then (although my curves in the fiddle yard returns are 2nd rad.

I also use these but they do have advantages and disadvantages.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L2WEPWK4M/farish-mk2-rapido-magneclix?optionId=42244097

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Premium

Hi both,

My inner track starts off on radius 2 and goes does to radius 1 after the first quarter turn, then uses set track points to access the sidings:

post-6199-0-52273900-1499373931.jpg

The Mk2s had trouble on the reverse curves coming out of the sidings as none of the lines have enough straight track before starting on the curve round to the front - I have this trouble with a few other trains too so they are restricted to that line (which is ok)

On the outer line the locking was between the MK1 and the MK2s on either side; they're all the newer type with the NEM couplings on cams. I'll look in to re-setting the buffers in the retracted position, it makes sense to do it and will look better. Are the HEA/HAA printed couplings magnetic too or totally fixed?

Cheers

Simon

Edited by MrSimon

I've only done the magneclix for older type mk2s at present. They do work great but of course train weight is dependent on the magenet strength.

The HEA ones are fixed rake only. I am keen to do something for those though as I have a 25 wagon rake of HAAs and rapidos look rubbish. Not sure if magnets would cope with such a long train though. It may be worth me trying the ones I have on my mk2s to see what weight they can cope with.

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've been doing some more building work, starting on the terraces behind the station.  Last week I built the road and pavements, today I built all the little bits of extension to the back of one terrace.

post-6199-0-33733200-1499283411.jpg

The back of most terraced houses have usually been altered in some way over the years - at different times and in different styles, so that's what I'm doing.  

post-6199-0-75378900-1499283417.jpg

These streets are behind the viaduct so don't need to be very detailed as it will only be seen in strangely framed pictures... so I've cracked open the Ratio window frames, there won't be door frames etc.  I built each house separately, then started painting all the bits that I wouldn't be able to reach later.  

post-6199-0-12824500-1499283425.jpg

These details will definitely be seen...

Everything is drying at the moment, the orange (Newark brick red) will need toning down before I fit the window frames (which are also drying) and paint the pipes/doors/gates and add some basic details (not that I'm adding details  :no: )

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

I've been busy on the terrace, with a few hours here and there over the last few weeks I've got both sides of the street pretty much to the same stage. I didn't take any pictures while I was building them, but I took some tonight after the camera charged.  

post-6199-0-66632700-1499283857.jpg

The overview of the street.  I need to put in the internal bracing so the houses keep their shape.

post-6199-0-10113700-1499283753.jpg

post-6199-0-91209700-1499283772.jpg

post-6199-0-44393900-1499283906.jpg

The fronts took about 45 minutes each side after I'd cut out the door and window holes.

post-6199-0-10432500-1499283790.jpg

post-6199-0-91877300-1499283839.jpg

post-6199-0-29774500-1499283780.jpg

The backs - I need to build one small extension, the pipes and walls, then I can paint it all and fit the window frames.

I've surprised myself at how quickly this has gone together, I reckon the roofs will take much longer as there will be chimneys and skylights etc to tile round.  Then I need to start (and decide) on the next building.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Other than some (all of the) tiles, and some paint, the back of one side of the street is finished :)

post-6199-0-76179100-1499284471.jpg

post-6199-0-93581600-1499284478.jpg

One house has a shaky looking wooden loft conversion.

post-6199-0-43104800-1499284486.jpg

back yards.

I also braced both terraces and painted the fronts, but I didn't take pictures of that yet...

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Save the chimney-pots, the rear of this side is finished :)

post-6199-0-27456300-1499203554.jpg

All the frames are drying for the other windows; I can't finish the roof until they're fitted (at least on the top floor anyway.  I also need to fit a partition wall to stop people being able to see front to back.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mine was the only one on our side that didn't have any sort of extension, and we had a housemate who was a bit keen putting the chain on when he went to bed if we were in or not - a pipe and roof would have been useful!

For the last week or so I've been putting off making the rest of the chimneys - mostly because chimneys are a pain - but I've pretty much done all the jobs I can do without the chimneys being fitted, and got distracted with a new engine that turned up (no pictures yet, but I fond plenty of time to get it working yesterday).

All the windows have been glazed, front and back and I stuck the more complete row on to its sub-base.  Then I painted a load of wheelie-bins:

post-6199-0-82711800-1499203304.jpg

Floral wheelie-bin covers are fashionable in Gresby...

post-6199-0-06996900-1499203834.jpg

post-6199-0-44659200-1499203314.jpg

Bad news if you want to use your rear gate on bin day...

Must get on with the chimneys!

post-6199-0-42532700-1499203327.jpg

Fixed the front wheels on the van, matt varnished it and stuck it in position.  I've got some bits on the way to finish off the worksite, but I've got no idea what to put behind the fence...

post-6199-0-81614600-1499203336.jpg

post-6199-0-44963900-1499203345.jpg

I tried to make puddles, today was the third attempt - first was with Clear (Johnston's), the second varnish, and today's attempt with Krystal Clear glazing stuff.  Non have really worked, I think I maybe made them a bit deep.  I think I'm going to try perspex and if that doesn't work I'll fix the potholes.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

It's been a bit of a sad week this week, Trevor Webster died on Tuesday.  I had a lot of fun operating his layouts and weathering some of his stock - and as well as making the baseboards, he's the man who taught me how to make buildings; without Trevor, Gresby would never have been built.

I got some more done this weekend, around finishing off some stock... I forced myself to make the basic shells of the chimneys so I could get on and tile the roof:

post-6199-0-87725600-1499203756.jpg

On this side of the road I only have to finish and paint the chimneys and fit the flashing on to the roof ridge.  Just the other side to go.

post-6199-0-73974500-1499203742.jpg

I also did a bit of work on the garage, I fitted it to it's baseboard, and then built the wall around the back yard.  These two sections will straddle a board join, which should be hidden in the alley.

Lots to do!

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 8