Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Revised Mk3s?

ThaneofFife

How does the executive light grey compare to your Lima Mk3s? All my Mk3s are Lima but I was thinking of getting a Limby TGS in Executive if the colour matches well

Quite different - the latest TGS is also flushed glazed, which is fairly dark in tint, so will look odd with original Lima coaches especially if they still have standard clear glazing/window ledges !

• 2 weeks later...

if they have any sense they'll dig out the old Lima TSO/TFO tool and turn it into a Mk3a by adjusting the roof and releasing them next year to make the most of Bachmann's upcoming Class 90 and Mk2 DBSO

Surely it would make more sense to modify the Hornby TSO/FO into Mk3a and bring the Lima toolings back as IC125 Mk3s, as there isn't a Hornby tooling for the TGS.

I really wish Hornby would produce the Virgin TGS again, but this time make it match Hornby's previous Virgin HST coaches. ie make the stripes the same thickness, Virgin logos the same size AND most importantly have silver window frames!! Only the loco hauled Virgin mk3 stock didn't have them painted silver. I have rake of both Hornby Virgin HST and loco hauled mk3s and the TGS just looks out of place as it is painted wrongly. I could try to paint the window frames myself but it wouldn't be as neat as the other coaches, plus I shouldn't have to do this in the first place!

Strangely, Hornby never produced the numerous TRSB buffet coach. They did try to modify (badly) the Lima TRUB into an RFM which is similar to the TRSB but it is a bad compromise. It's about time Hornby (or someone else) produced a full range of mk3s to modern standards!

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would like a 4 window version (representing a TRUK or TRSB or RFM) in Intercity Executive or swallow livery. As far as I can tell Hornby has not released or announced one.  Does that sound correct or have I missed one ?  Tom

• RMweb Premium

For close coupling Hornby Mk3s, I just experimented with Kadee 141s.  21s or 31s would work just as well.

These are the long version with the shank under-set from the knuckle.

It was a very easy job and I am pleased with the outcome.

The resulting gap between the coaches is very small.

They work very well pulling on 32 inch radius curves. 

Propelling ok too through the curves.
Propelling ok on 36 inch turnouts. But not 30

For anything tighter they could do with being a fraction longer for propelling.

The hole in the kadee coupler is around 3.2 mm.

The stud in the airfix pocket is about 2.7 mm.

This is too loose. But a kadee fibre washer in the box below the coupler leads to a nice snug fit once the coupler box lid is replaced.

The self centering property of kadees doesn't work in this application but in a fixed rake that doesn't matter.

The couplers end up fairly stiff in the sockets like this, but the rake runs well as the couplings are all bogie mounted. It means they operate almost like a fixed link, especially if you use the red kadee washer (kadee 208) under the coupler in the pocket, which is 15 thou thick instead of the grey one (kadee 209)  which is 10 thou thick.

My Hornby TGS seems to have a shorter corridor connection than my other Hornby Mk3s leaving a small but more generous gap.

The kadee 21 package comes with some very nice thin walled bushes that will fit over the stud in the airfix pocket and take up all the slack between the stud and the coupler.

They push fit directly over the stud in the Airfix style box on the Hornby Mk3s.  As you push them down with some force they will split on one side, but this still does the required job.

This closes up that one gap a fraction. Interestingly the other Lima derived Hornby coaches I have seem to have the same length corridor connection as the all Hornby ones.

The power car coupling is a different issue. I could not source the height adjustable Roco ones mentioned earlier in this thread without lots of postage to me in Canada.

So instead I fabricated one from a NEM kadee with the tail cut off. (18-20 would all work as the tail is going to be cut anyway)

That was bolted to a standard Bachmann cranked tension lock, used upside down, with the loop cut off.

There is a slight raised area on the old underside (now top) of the Bachman cranked coupler that used to act as the hinge for the hook.  I pared that away.  I also kept the long sides of the tension lock as they nicely support the sides of the kadee NEM coupler either side of the knuckle.

I secured the two together with number 80 bolt, from the top of the kadee.  There is plenty of material to drill and tap the kadee shank.  The stub of the cranked kadee has less material which is why I used the small bolt size.  I had to drill that slightly off centre to avoid the slot for the missing tension lock hook, but it worked fine. I tapped both parts to give me the option of putting the bolt in from the underside too in case there was a clearance issue or in case the thread in the thinner Bachmann part stripped.  Both however were ok.

I could not get as close a coupling this way as between the coaches, but still closer than with the narrow tension locks.

Also at the TGS end I discovered I could use the medium length under-set kadee at the guard end instead of the long one, and it worked nicely with the power car fabricated kadee, closing the gap again. The shorter corridor connection allowed this. At the first class end, that car has the full length corridor connection so to do the same I will have to fabricate a slightly longer power car coupling as above.That would be easy if I start with a  kadee 19 or 20.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

I've had an email from Hornby advising that the Blue/Grey Mk3s to go the with 125 Anniversary Power Car Train Pack have arrived.

I hope the FOs have the correct seating - the website images show 2nd/standard class interiors - and they are still available when the Power Cars appear. I'm not buying the coaches until I can see that the PCs are correct.

Edited by brushman47544

I've had an email from Hornby advising that the Blue/Grey Mk3s to go the with 125 Anniversary Power Car Train Pack have arrived.

I hope the FOs have the correct seating - the website images show 2nd/standard class interiors - and they are still available when the Power Cars appear. I'm not buying the coaches until I can see that the PCs are correct.

Are these latest Hornby MK3's completely new toolings  - and not based on the old Lima coaches. anyone got some yet to compare..............................

Are these latest Hornby MK3's completely new toolings  - and not based on the old Lima coaches. anyone got some yet to compare..............................

What makes you think that? I'd have thought they would be the same coaches Hornby has been knocking out for ~10 years: i.e. the "new" Hornby tooling with the exception of the TGS which is ex-Lima.

Guy

I would hold off buying the Hornby mk3 until the new OxfordRail ones arrive. I have a feeling these will be far better and possibly similar if not cheaper in price.

Hornby have been producing mk3's since the 70's yet still haven't produced an accurate and matching rake. The popular Virgin HST livery models are a mix of Hornby/Lima tooling, plus the TGS livery didn't even match!

• RMweb Premium

What makes you think that? I'd have thought they would be the same coaches Hornby has been knocking out for ~10 years: i.e. the "new" Hornby tooling with the exception of the TGS which is ex-Lima.

Guy

At least with these you don't need a TGS so no mix of Hornby and ex-Lima tooling.

I would hold off buying the Hornby mk3 until the new OxfordRail ones arrive. I have a feeling these will be far better and possibly similar if not cheaper in price.

Hornby have been producing mk3's since the 70's yet still haven't produced an accurate and matching rake. The popular Virgin HST livery models are a mix of Hornby/Lima tooling, plus the TGS livery didn't even match!

At least with these you don't need a TGS so no mix of Hornby and ex-Lima tooling.

Not quite, the TRFB is still the Ex Lima / Hornby TRFB/RFM mash up hybrid.

http://www.ehattons.com/164321/Hornby_R4729_Mk3_TRFB_trailer_first_buffet_W40001_in_BR_blue_grey/StockDetail.aspx

Though an entirely ex-Lima rake would be preferable as due to the presence of the CDL indicators on the Hornby tooling...

Guy

Oops got my wires crossed !  it's Oxford Rail who are doing new MK3's ( hope everybody has voted in the poll for which liveries they would like/buy) ? 

Edited by tractor_37260

• 1 year later...

I think I want Hornby to re-release A LOT of their MK3 coaches as there is simply not enough, take the Virgin East Coast mk3s for example, the HST powercars for em are not that rare whereas the coaches are EXTREMELY rare to find, and almost IMPOSSIBLE to find at a good price, I hope Oxford make some VTEC mk3's sooner or later, I could do with some.

I think I want Hornby to re-release A LOT of their MK3 coaches as there is simply not enough, take the Virgin East Coast mk3s for example, the HST powercars for em are not that rare whereas the coaches are EXTREMELY rare to find, and almost IMPOSSIBLE to find at a good price, I hope Oxford make some VTEC mk3's sooner or later, I could do with some.

Hornby have not managed to get on top of getting matching rakes of coaches and power cars aligned for many years. Whatever the reasons (and it is a logistical challenge for a longer train where you are trying to trade off selling it in affordable chunks) this is a real issue for the average punter's shopping experience. I have the knowledge and perseverance to hunt down the bits I need, but this does not serve the passing trade well.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My apologies for seeming a little of-topic in the hope you can re-direct me. My searching has come to naught, so I am asking if RMWeb has anywhere addressed the issues of the correct lettering and so on for blue-grey HST coaches in formation (end information panels, number styles, branding such as InterCity 125 and so on). I am trying to get 253001 as accurate as possible despite it being a Hornby effort. I am happy with the overall products so, please, no suggestions of hacksaws and so on!

Best and many thanks for the previous twelve pages. I am warming to HST even more!

Marcus 

On 21/01/2018 at 11:22, andyman7 said:

Hornby have not managed to get on top of getting matching rakes of coaches and power cars aligned for many years. Whatever the reasons (and it is a logistical challenge for a longer train where you are trying to trade off selling it in affordable chunks) this is a real issue for the average punter's shopping experience. I have the knowledge and perseverance to hunt down the bits I need, but this does not serve the passing trade well.

Noting my own post from 2.5 years back, I'm pleased to say that Hornby seem to finally have got a lot better about this. Certainly over the past 18 months, it has been possible to buy both power cars and the neccessary matching coaches within reasonable proximity and without some vehicle or other becoming ridiculously elusive in the blink of an eye. 

30 minutes ago, EHertsGER said:

My apologies for seeming a little of-topic in the hope you can re-direct me. My searching has come to naught, so I am asking if RMWeb has anywhere addressed the issues of the correct lettering and so on for blue-grey HST coaches in formation (end information panels, number styles, branding such as InterCity 125 and so on). I am trying to get 253001 as accurate as possible despite it being a Hornby effort. I am happy with the overall products so, please, no suggestions of hacksaws and so on!

Best and many thanks for the previous twelve pages. I am warming to HST even more!

Marcus 

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=600

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1103

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/intercity-c3-classification-data-panels

I have no connection with Railtec or Fox, just a happy customer of both!