Deltics at Liverpool Lime Street

silverlink

• RMweb Gold

The two people hanging out of the front window on the 55022 on 17 Dec 1981 shot look familiar...

Can't be 100% but we certainly travelled to/from Leeds on Deltics at that time.

• Like 1

Ah! Very happy memories of me working part time at Leigh Golf Club, at Culcheth/ Kenyon, where i cleared most of the class in the early '80's. You could always hear the distinctive sound coming from miles away, so no matter what part of the course i was stuck working on i could always get back just close enough to the track to see the numbers, i recall many sounding as though they were only running on one engine half the time....and they seemed to coast by with no trouble at all. 

Edited by Owd Bob

Going off topic.I lived all the Deltic period in a village a mile from the ECML between Dunbar and East Linton.Early morning on calm day you could hear a Deltic heading North on a sleeper accelerating away from the Dunbar check till he was approaching East Linton at which point he'd throttle back but the drone would continue to be heard till he was well on his way to Drem

The sound of one near Greenfield must have been pretty good with the hills close by

• Like 2

Going off topic.I lived all the Deltic period in a village a mile from the ECML between Dunbar and East Linton.Early morning on calm day you could hear a Deltic heading North on a sleeper accelerating away from the Dunbar check till he was approaching East Linton at which point he'd throttle back but the drone would continue to be heard till he was well on his way to Drem

The sound of one near Greenfield must have been pretty good with the hills close by

grew up living on the other side of the valley at uppermill the micklehurst loop line was at the bottom of our garden and our playground for years and your right anything climbing up the valley from stalybridge and working hard could sound awesome. a Deltic on york mail on a windless night  could be heard all the way from Mossley many a night lying awake in bed listening and hoping to catch a glimpse of it in the street lights just after Greenfield station .off topic did once hear a 40 working very very hard on freezing night with a  heavy freight all the way up the valley came into view as it cleared Greenfield station you could see flames & sparks  coming a good foot out of the exhaust every time the driver powered up glorious ! 

• Like 3

I reckon all the Deltics (including the prototype and DP2) except 55001 and 55020 made it to Lime Street.

There was a post on FB yesterday or the day before, 020 was seen at Edge Hill depot in 1977 taking fuel, after working a football special.

I have no idea if this is accurate, but thought I'd pass it on. I've a feeling the post was on the 'All or Yesterdays' page.

These were taken by a friend, Maurice Hughes, of a Deltic eastbound approaching Dolly's Bridge in Kenyon Cutting. Although the number is blurred, it appears to end in a 7, and the double line nameplate suggests 55 017.

deltic10.jpg

deltic11.jpg

• Like 9