Deltics at Liverpool Lime Street

silverlink

A friend of mine from Liverpool tells me he remembers seeing Deltic Crepello at Lime Street station he thinks late 60's or early 70's. He says in blue livery could this be true?

I am told if a Deltic was going to be used on a special it would be put on a service train from York to Liverpool (Newcastle-Liverpool) return to check it was all ok.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Definitely the late 70s and early 80s.

I can't remember exactly how many but I 'bashed' about 10 of the beasts, mostly roaring up Platting bank and then braking hard for the tight turn at Miles Platting before opening up once again towards Phillips Park.

On a few occasions you could get 2 different Deltics on the same day.

I also recall that the first Deltic, across the Pennines, would often return later that evening.

Happy days indeed.

Kev.

• Like 3

Ian,

Can't say I've ever heard about about 12 going to Liverpool that early, everything I've read suggests (IIRC) 1979 - without looking it up have a feeling it was Meld or Tulyar credited with being the first. That's not to say it didn't happen.....

Once the class had been displaced from toplink duties they did start to make apperances on Trans-Pennine turns. You're correct that in the last few months that York used turns to Liverpool in order to ensure everything ok ahead of working a charter. Indeed No 2 suffered problems on such a turn ahead of working the outward leg of the Deltic Scotsman Farewell and as a result was replaced with Tulyar.

Dave

I think the main diagram was the 10XX York-Liverpool and 1305 return; Trans-Pennine services were revised in 1979 to give an hourly York-Liverpool loco-hauled service, with every other train running to Newcastle.  They always seemed to  be going eastbound past Uppermill about 1415. There was occasionally one on the York-Shrewsbury mail as far as Stockport and return as well. 

Deltics and 50s used to appear regularly at Stockport on the York postal around 12:30am, it was a running in turn from Doncaster I believe but you had to be up late to see them.

As for Liverpool I only know of the Trans Pennine services after HST displacement.

In October 1981 at least 011, 008, 002 and 015 worked from York to Liverpool. The turn was the 0849 from York and the 1305 back. Having done this turn with 015 on 22/10 Tulyar promptly went back with the 1550 from York and returned with the 2040 from Liverpool. Made even more memorable as 55013 also departed York at 1550 (to Kings Cross)and they ran together as far as Chaloners Whin.

On 20/10/1981 I travelled from York to Leeds with 55008 on the on the 1350 York - Liverpool and came back from Leeds with 55002 on the 1305 from Liverpool.

I was told that the 0849 / 1305 turn was generally on a Thursday for whichever of the 4 nominated Deltics was going to work the railtour on the Saturday - dont know if that was true or not but seemed to work in practice.

You can add 004 to the list as I recall it was failed at Liverpool and dumped at Lime Street until it could be returned to York.

These are the ones I saw - I'm sure there are more.

To my knowledge the York to Salop postal was Deltic hauled all the way to Salop on three occasions (I was on duty). It depended on the York driver, as he needed to be piloted for route knowledge. It may well have happened more often when I was tucked up in bed and had little interest in the chaos smooth working of the Stoke division.

Mike

Napier Chronicles confirms 15 was the first production to visit Liverpool on 19 June 1979, see http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/15_19-6-79.htm.

After this time visits became more common, Napier Chronicles will almost certaintly have these all listed! I suspect all the class bar St Paddy & Nimbus made it to Lime St.

GPKC is correct that 4 failed at Lime Street on what turned out to be it's last working on 28 October 1981. It was going to be taken back to York dead in tow by 55011 later in the day, but the driver refused to take it, meaning it stayed overnight at Liverpool.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your answers guys I was sure someone on here would have the answer but I didn't expect this many! Around the time you all seem to be talking about (late 70's early 80's) I well remember the Deltics coming and going from Scarborough. I found out later from a local chap that lived in Scarborough but worked at York shed that it was he who, whenever he could would diagram a Deltic through to Scarborough. There was an article in one of the magazines about them coming to Scarborough but I didn't realise just how many of them did.

Ian

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Class 55 Deltics have worked into Lime St 195 times and out of lime St 190 times. 2 light engines to York, one light engine to Man Vic, one dragged by 46039 on the 1305 and 55004 dragged to York by 31405 the day after it died. 55015 was the very first on 1M73 1128 Newcastle to lime St on 19.06.1979. On the 18th January 1980, 55010, 55015 and 55021 all worked in and out. On 28th December 1981 there were 4 workings into Lime St, 55004 and 55011 both visiting twice but only 55011 left twice. Only 55001 and 55020 never visited.

As a confirmed steam addict, I have to say the Deltics were some beasts, I recall a weeks camping at the side of the ECML in (I think)1963, we saw the entire class go by, I'd hoped to see A4's but they'd all gone by then, Pity they didn't get onto the Great Central really.

I think the main diagram was the 10XX York-Liverpool and 1305 return; Trans-Pennine services were revised in 1979 to give an hourly York-Liverpool loco-hauled service, with every other train running to Newcastle.  They always seemed to  be going eastbound past Uppermill about 1415. There was occasionally one on the York-Shrewsbury mail as far as Stockport and return as well. 

correct bro was the 08.05 ex york and 13.05 return from lime street would pass over uppermill arches at 10.05 outbound which was usually firstbreak at saddleworth school so a whole phalanx of spotters would be at the top of the school drive to witness it. return working would pass at 14.07 which meant double maths on a thursday was enjoyable .

whichever Deltic was out on that weekends railtour would feature on this working on the thursday beforehand so was a very regular occurance towards the end .

the last run for a Deltic on this turn was KOYLI the thursday before they were all withdrawn and a week after the official final  transpennine runs have a pic somewhere of her arriving at stalybridge on the return working 

they did very occasional work the york to  shrewsbury mail as far as stockport and return made night turns as a trb at Heaton Norris box worthwhile that and the regular rides home in the cab of a 56 as far as Greenfield on an MGR .

Class 55 Deltics have worked into Lime St 195 times and out of lime St 190 times. 2 light engines to York, one light engine to Man Vic, one dragged by 46039 on the 1305 and 55004 dragged to York by 31405 the day after it died. 55015 was the very first on 1M73 1128 Newcastle to lime St on 19.06.1979. On the 18th January 1980, 55010, 55015 and 55021 all worked in and out. On 28th December 1981 there were 4 workings into Lime St, 55004 and 55011 both visiting twice but only 55011 left twice. Only 55001 and 55020 never visited.

So, somewhere round the back, there are still 5 Deltics hidden away? Please let it be true.

• RMweb Gold

So, somewhere round the back, there are still 5 Deltics hidden away? Please let it be true.

Yes, all stored with those hidden steam loco's in Box Tunnel, guarded by Elvis who still regularly rides Shergar.