Looking back at all the photo's of Entering the Yard it was a very detailed layout for it's size

So looking at what the future layout holds and after a massive clean out of the spare room I've the two side by side and I must say a feel a little disheartened at the moment

Here is the choice do I carry on with this new improved layout or do I go back to the original and improve on it

Like I said I feel a little disheartened at the moment

Keep your chin up Shaun! Why not go for a compromise and build a layout that takes the best ideas from both! Regard the previous photos as a reminder of the excellent, detailed modeling you are capable of achieving and let them motivate you to exceed those standards rather than seeing them as a standard you feel you won't achieve again. It's all in the mind!

Hi Shaun,

Please keep going with your new project. It is coming along nicely. I would suggest to keep going with the scrapyard theme as it comes across really well. The only other thing i could say is possibly adding in a reverse siding onto the nearside siding to add operating interest. Alltogether the whole layout seems to already be better as you have got the working road theme as well as two levels to the layout. Hopefully it will be as detailed as your last layout if not better, but i would say that it will probably take longer as your taking on more of a project than your previous layout.

Regarding your name change i would suggest something along the lines of: "............... Sidings"

Maybe fill the first part with an area or place of some personal interest or relevance.

Something sidings I can think of a few names

As for the reversing loop, I was thinking of using the furthest track and carry that round back behind the backscene

The road is becoming a problem that's why it's becoming frustrating. I'm thinking of cutting it off and building the whole thing as a separate component so I can work on them both easier. Build the road track then sit the layout on top

So thinking about it I could try a little harder

If work start's to calm down a bit I can work on the layout more

On a plus note my tickets are booked for Warley along with the B&B (yeah)

Edited by shaunthesheep277
  • Like 1

Something sidings I can think of a few names

As for the reversing loop, I was thinking of using the furthest track and carry that round back behind the backscene

The road is becoming a problem that's why it's becoming frustrating. I'm thinking of cutting it off and building the whole thing as a separate component so I can work on them both easier. Build the road track then sit the layout on top

So thinking about it I could try a little harder

If work start's to calm down a bit I can work on the layout more

On a plus note my tickets are booked for Warley along with the B&B (yeah)

Good to hear.

I think the idea of having one of the tracks carrying on a great idea, better than mine anyways...

dont give up! your detailing has pushed me through the building of wrexham central as im jealous of what you can do! i do know the feeling though of being disheartened and have many thoughts! i would say perservere, i love the idea of the moving cars! if that isnt detail, i dont know what is! after all how any people have utilised this? i think this is going to be your best layout! i think also keep the theme of srap metal yard! or if you had to change it, keep it very close to the idea as i think ths is your strong point in modeling. also less is more-regarding reverse loops and the like! keep to your plan and it will come right! think of little touches like trap points ect ect! i cant wait for more photos, whatever stage its at! look at my layout for example!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello it's been a while, first things first I've had a week's holiday so all refreshed and ready to work (booooo)

Right I have started a new post called station terminus & TMD which is in planning stage at the moment but will become my personal home timeless layout upon which I don't have to worry on life and play trains. I going to build it so it comes apart in-case of moving houses

Entering the yard or something something sidings is still going on so tomorrow the road sections are coming off and will be built as a separate kind of layout which the other will sit upon, also thinking about it I might change it a little just to make it more (oh what's the word) pro-typical 

I'm thinking about so when the road is off I'll be able to look at it as a work in progress not a pain

Oh by the way the title isn't to become the layout's name although that would be funny

It's just a type-o I'll run with it for a while

Edited by shaunthesheep277

Ok so while everything is in bits at the moment here is the change I'm talking about

I've done it in anyrail so you can see what I'm thinking of changing

post-23271-0-74802700-1444922028_thumb.jpg

What I'm thinking is the bottom line can become a head shunt for passing trains to come off the main line (lets imagine there is a main line for a moment)

and await instructions

While the other two service to scrap yard

It looks better to me and easier for point work too also pro-typical

Everyone's a winner

There is one more thing and this will surprise you

I'm going to save Entering the Yard too

Why? you may ask

Well the large layout I'm thinking of creating is a long way way down the line (no pun intended) and with this one in the pipeline all Entering the yard is doing at the moment is collecting dust on top of the wardrobe. It still works (kind of) so with a little t.l.c she'll be back up and running again

Plus I more or less have two of everything stored somewhere through out the house so I'm no longer torn between the two

Something something sidings will soon become a separate forum page if you still want to follow it's progress which at the moment is in bits like I said at the begining

Thank you all for your comments, your support, encouragement and appreciation and I love the hobby even more now then ever now that I have two layout to and I'm sorry to say play with

• Like 4

Hi all

Something Something Sidings now has it's own forum page

Don't worry I won't loose intrest

Anyway Entering the Yard is up and ready for inspection

post-23271-0-04081100-1445194385_thumb.jpg

I think the first job would be a complete rewiring

So I will have to start installing new point motors too

It's all hard work lol :imsohappy:

• Like 2

Ok so making a start on making the layout better I've started clearing the right hand corner and lifted the point to replace it with a new one

Also I've cut all the wires and basically now have a clean slate underneath to do it correctly

Turned on the soldering iron and bang! ok I thought I'll change the fuse nothing

Great I start doing something and a tool stops me doing what I wanted to do for the day

Not the first time either oh well still loads to do

post-23271-0-31898600-1445278072_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've been bouncing between the two layouts this weekend, it is simple to do but there are a lot of jobs to do too

The point is down but I've ran out of blade splicers so because of this I cannot check my wiring

Oh well never mind I could always check it when they arrive

No pictures I'm afraid because both layouts are moving slowly (no! it's getting me to move at all that's moving them along slowly)

There is progress so if I can get off my ..... (notice I left that space blank :jester: ) I could do a lot more

• 2 weeks later...

The lights are back on in the yard

The class 08 Serco is parked up for the night

post-23271-0-83848300-1447278873_thumb.jpg

Problems with the points again but this time it's sorted

I took on one of the old points and modified it and now it works 90% of the time

Only one draw back the center where the two out lines meet I've made it into a insulfrog so as not to short out at all

post-23271-0-73285400-1447278866_thumb.jpg

It really does work with only one stall all evening backwards and forwards shunting

It's nice to be playing trains again :locomotive: :locomotive: :yahoo:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a long first day I've mainly been buying vehicle's for the other layout because all Entering the yard needs is finishing touches really, if anybody wants to say hi there is a van stall at the back called The bar, I'll be behind it sat on the floor having dinner at well dinner (12:00am) just call out my name (Shaun to you all) I won't bite honest

Well I bought a lot of stuff over the weekend, mainly scenery stuff but I did get one loco

A Bachmann Class 66 66050 EWS Energy ltd edition weathered by Dirty boy, here's a few pics on the diorama

post-23271-0-73463300-1449007307_thumb.jpg

All boxed up

post-23271-0-29587300-1449007276_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-40236600-1449007285_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-19093900-1449007296_thumb.jpg

I been doing some work on the layout weathering and adding the fencing

Some one has arrived at the warehouse cause the lights are on

post-23271-0-63648100-1449007254_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-27597800-1449007243_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-58681300-1449007266_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-07082300-1449007325_thumb.jpg

post-23271-0-38438800-1449007341_thumb.jpg