An appeal to deisgners/creators

Hi all. I was going to put this in my 'Backdating' thread, but decided to make it separate.

Would it be possible for the kit creators to have optional sheets, at even a small additional charge, for many of the current kits, that would have older period shop fronts? Modelling the late 1800's - early 1900's, I doubt there were Chinese take out shops, or laundromats, etc.. Even some business that were around, say like a butcher shop, would have had a totally different look.

There are several kits from several manufacturers I would like to purchase and build, but I don't, as they don't fit my era (the building would, but not the signage or shop fronts).

I would gladly pay a bit more, for the optional sheets.

Just a though.

Jim F.

Jim, 

It's a good idea.

Also, if you are looking for older period buildings you really should check out Alphagraphix.

They are not on the web but I think you will find it well worth ordering their catalogue.

Alphagraphix

23 Darris Road, 

Selly Park,  

Birmingham,

West Midlands , 

B29 7QY

They have a great range of printed card kits in 4mm and 7mm scales.

No connection just a satisfied customer...

Regards,

Chris

Chris, a late Thank You for mentioning Alphagraphix. Some had told me about them previously, but with no web site, or even a email address I could find, it meant I had to find enough stamps for postage to the UK (I haven't sent anything by mail, anywhere, for years :). However, after thinking that if there is a cost for the catalog, and postage to the US, and if they do not take paypal or a CC, I'd be stuck, so never followed through.

Jim F

Their sign sets and texture sheets are still listed on the Freestone shop site, so it seems they are still around. I guess mail and exhibition sales are sufficient for the.

This discussion of Alphagraphix has sparked my interest.  I checked the Freestone site but there are no pictures.  It would be nice to know what one is getting.  At least with Freestone things can be ordered online.  Perhaps if someone has a catalogue, it could be scanned and posted.

As to the OP, I agree that we could use more historical signage in building kits.  Wonder if John Wiffen is reading this?

John

I have scanned my copy of Alphagraphix 2012 catalogue. It is 32 A5 pages and runs to 7MB as a pdf file.

The catalogue is priced at £1.50 but it includes a voucher for £1 off your first order over £10.

If you would like a copy please pm me.

Assuming you are interested in 4mm scale buildings I have attached scans of the relevant pages.

post-684-0-53781800-1406282494_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-65828800-1406282495_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-72858400-1406282496_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-64462600-1406282497_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-64847100-1406282498_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-62729300-1406282499_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-71738600-1406282500_thumb.jpg

Most of Alphagraphix products are in 7mm scale and include etched locomotive kits, Irish railways, Trams and buses.

Many of the 7mm scale building kits include white metal components.

Most of the 7mm building kits are available in 4mm but without the white metal components.

At the bottom of page 1 is an e-mail address. I have not tried it so can't comment if it is still in use or what the response is likely to be.

My postal correspondence with Alphagraphix have always been prompt and friendly.

For my first contact I sent an open cheque for "up to ten pounds", I asked for a copy of the catalogue and a sample building kit.

He returned a catalogue, sample kit of the GT Andrews crossing keepers cottage, a coupon for £1 off my next order, a friendly handwritten note and charged me about £7.

Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with the company except as a satisfied customer.

Please try sending him a letter, it's certainly no harder than building one of their kits!

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris, I had no idea of the size of the range.  I guess I'm no wiser about the signage that we were all wittering about in the first place.  Given the price though, it's probably worth buying one of each just to see.

John

Thanks Chris, I had no idea of the size of the range.  I guess I'm no wiser about the signage that we were all wittering about in the first place.  Given the price though, it's probably worth buying one of each just to see.

John

John, 

Alphagraphix do some very nice sets of enamel advertisements as well...

Enamel signs, flowerbeds and buttercups

I used some with their NER platform shelter on Jenswell.

Regards,

Chris

I bought a few wagon kit's off his stall at Telford last year and a catalouge that I'd been meaning to send off for for years.  Lovely chap who will get plenty more business from me,  I'm really tempted to get one of his etched brass irish loco kits now.

• 7 months later...

I have just found this topic, so sorry for not replying before.

Whilst at Railwayscenics I have not currently offered that many card kits, it is planned that in the future we will be offering more basic kits, with additional packs for different options. Currently I am thinking along the lines of our engine shed kit, which is currently being updated and will be released as a fully printed model. As the kit can be made longer, I plan to offer the additional parts required at a small cost. This will include the additional roof, vents, roofs, walls, windows and centre section walls. Not much, but will be beneficial to those that want a longer engine shed kit.

I currently also offer a row of four cottages, which is available in full, half front relief, or half rear relief. The kits already come with different colour doors. The kit is currently designed to have sash type windowws. Once this is ready to be sold as a printed kit, this will have an option for newer windows and doors and also a bay window addon and a low front garden wall. Again it will be a seperate package for that product, at a small additional cost. It will also include any templates for cutting out the parts of the kit that are not required.

Our printed kits are also being planned to contain as sheet which contains small extra portions of all the material textures used in the kit. This can then be used for alterations and modifications as the builder wishes.

I am also looking at prioducing laser cut parts specifically for all of our kits to improve the looks of them. A 3d window will always be better than a flat printed one.

Our download texture sheets have been altered and the roof sheets include a strip of ridge tiles and also a small strip for lead flashing. The paving strips include a strip that can be used for the kerb stones. The brick textures include a strip of matching bricks stacked. The metal cladding sheets include a plain strip of the same coloured material. This was all done because customers asked for it, and it did sort of make sense to include it. It takes up little space on an a4 print so it was included.

So you can see that we are already planning to do what has been suggested in the OPs post, but like most things running the business and paying the bills must come first, so development of these kits is further behind than planned. When they are released again, I will let you all know.

I have thought about doing additional bits for other makers kits, but have been put off doing so, mainly because I dont want to tread on a large manufacturers toes, but seeing as they dont offer this, it may be the way to go. I have also pondered making interior kits for the old Dapol plastic models, but again time is at a premium.

Hopefully now the OP will be happy as a manufacturer of card kits has responded, all be it a small low volume manufacturer.

• 1 year later...

HI all it occurred to me that it is possible to still find photos of the old shop fronts, if you look up 1930's shop front on Google

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1930+shops+fronts&biw=1280&bih=671&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1mZSBjurPAhUjOsAKHS82DA0QsAQIKg

You can come across quite a few, now while it is may be a bit harder to produce a model from the photos, the later David Lloyd the Irish 00n3 modeller made some very nice shop fronts for his layout from photo's from the Irish shop front website, now while these may be more colourful than we expect from a British point of view, they do give some ideas of other types of shops fronts.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury    

• RMweb Gold

Quite apart from card kits, it should not be difficult to make plastic/resin building fronts with a hole left for different shop units (similar to the Jouef modular kits). This follows the real-life construction of such properties. Apart from the era issue, it would be nice to see even the standard units in varied positions.

Archived