Modern Locomotives Illustrated No. 208 The HST

Steve-e

Magazine apparently out now August / September 2014

5969.jpg

The Prototype Train & Before
Driving Cab and Technical (Class 252, 41)
Prototype Train Drawings & Equipment
Prototype Train – The Stock
Prototype Train – In Action
The Prototype – Afterlife
The Production HSTs
The High-Speed Generator Coach
HST Walkaround
Driving Cabs and Technical (Class 253 / 254, 43)
Production Train Drawings & Equipment
Production Train – The Stock
Those ‘Flying Banana’ Days
InterCity ‘Executive’ Livery
InterCity ‘Swallow’ Livery
The Australian XPT Train
The ‘Surrogate DVT’ Project
HST Fleet List and Names
HSTs In Trouble

Cheers

Picked up my copy from Smiths on Friday.

Opened the first page, photo on the inside cover page (page 2) just didn't seem right, half the subject matter seemed to be missing.

The text on what I deemed to be page 3 was obviously already an on going thread.

Scratching my head I glanced down to bottom of page and realised what the problem was.

I was in fact looking at page 11. So obviously quiet a bit of material missing.

Flicking through further, once I arrived at page 18 I was amused to find the following page was a second run of pages beginning at page 11 again.

The consequence's of this means I presume that a fair bit of material is missing towards the rear of the magazine on the latter pages which also go out of sync.

Not sure if my copy is a one off (hopefully collectable in years to come ha ha).

Or has anyone else come across this publishing error.

Might drop MLI a line and see what there take is on matters.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully D7100s copy is a one off binding error.

Just placed an order - I have a couple of these magazines (early BR shunters and NBL type 2s), and they are very well researched with good photos. Will help with my prototype HST project I hope.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Now solved.

Took my copy back to Smiths & exchanged.

Checked other copies on shelve and all seemed to be ok so I presume I had a rogue one.

If it's any consolation, GWRJ had a faulty batch some issues ago, where they managed to turn them out with at least five completely blank pages....

The BR years! Even the largest picture of what goes where had the HST in current privitised livery of First Great Western as well as a plethora of others that should have been left to the following issue.  Despite that, it was a good mag and, as usual, MLI does it far better than several books I've seen.

I subscribed again to MLI at a cheaper rate than buying individual magazines but am not happy with the unwanted, aggressive marketing from Key Publishing. After the third copy of a previous six issue (12 month) subscription, I was getting some rather aggressive renew now messages, not to mention spam for their other publications before receiving the first subscription issue after indicating at the outset that they should not send marketing. I just hope I don't get any rogue issues like the example above (I hate dealing with customer services, you only have to see how bad they are on the Great British Locomotives thread...)

Agressive, unwanted marketing does not inspire customer loyalty and it spoils the enjoyment one gets from the magazine.

• RMweb Gold

The BR years! Even the largest picture of what goes where had the HST in current privitised livery of First Great Western as well as a plethora of others that should have been left to the following issue.  Despite that, it was a good mag and, as usual, MLI does it far better than several books I've seen.

A good magazine but I too was surprised to see many privatisation era photos throughout the magazine in what was supposed to be the BR years.

• 1 month later...

I'd echo the post above; over 12% of the pictures in issue #209 are taken between Dawlish Warren and Aller Jn. Much as I love that stretch of line, a bit more variety in locations would've been good.

Also I couldn't spot any photos of the GNER HSTs in their original livery without the orange/red passenger doors.

Archived