The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

With all this recent resurgence in the popularity (?) of Weatherspoons, does it mean they have got out of the habit of buying up stale barrels ??????

Not sure about that - I've not had a really bad pint in either of our local branches - but on the other hand, I've seldom had something that really sings. 

One odd thing in ours is that they often sell our local brews, Lancaster Blonde, Red, Amber, and Black, and they are much cheaper than they are in the Lancaster Brewery's own outlets by about £1.00 a pint - and I doubt that they get them straight from the brewery, so perhaps there is something on the stale barrels argument - though I feel that it's barrels close to their use by date, rather than past the date.

Mark Dickerson, on 25 Sept 2014 - 15:04, said:

As a dark beer (finally) Budvar Dark is a good choice - it seemed to appear in the odd City 'Spoons - but Vedett just looks like a loss of nerve as they could've gone with Duvel from the same brewery. We shall see.

Then again can you really see 'spoons stocking an 8.6% beer in some of their less salubrious locations? Also the price point would have to be in the £4 range for a 330ml bottle.

• RMweb Premium

I can't imagine that the beers they have specially brewed for them are stale. I've been using JDW pubs locally since 1998 (not exclusively however) and the only duff pints have been as the barrel's finishing, about 3 times. I once got a beer that wsn't what the pump clip said it was (allegedly a dark beer and came out amber) but I think that was a mistake.

I don't use JDW pubs in the evening (after 7pm) though....And you do get some odd characters. At The Wagon Works (opposite Eastleigh station) it's not unknown to see people watching the trains....and on one occasion, a chap loudly lecturing his companion (in 'know-all mode') that the ballast stockpiles were crushed concrete and the station was run by British Rail.

In fact I must be off, the Eastleigh bus goes in 13 minutes....

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Many Wetherspoons we have been in keep their ales at a sensible temperature so the ale often tastes fine.

However some seem to chill it too much so any ligher type of ale just tastes bland which is often rumoured to prolong the life of the casks. Darker ales dont seem to suffer so much from this especially if you leave it to warm up a little.

On the issue of stronger beers being sold at Wethers, if some of these beers become main stream then it will get into the news about these causing unsociable behaviour, so I am quite happy that these stronger beers remain in smaller more select places.

• RMweb Premium

Then again can you really see 'spoons stocking an 8.6% beer in some of their less salubrious locations? Also the price point would have to be in the £4 range for a 330ml bottle.

which is also why they don't stock Sixpoint Resin (9.0%)

I use  JDW Kinights Templar in Bristol and has been commented about others, it's a while since I've had a really good pint, but even longer since I had a really bad one.

AAARGH

Somebody offered me a beer, yesterday, and I foolishly accepted before I knew what was on offer - a bottle of Coors Light

4% alcohol

100% gas

0% taste

All that was available when we had our last FGW inter depot Cricket match. I do hope next year will be better

But what of this ?

post-15-0-57908200-1411750791.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I use  JDW Kinights Templar in Bristol and has been commented about others, it's a while since I've had a really good pint, but even longer since I had a really bad one.

All that was available when we had our last FGW inter depot Cricket match. I do hope next year will be better

But what of this ?

attachicon.gif20110607-093108.jpg

Trying to add taste???

- though I feel that it's barrels close to their use by date, rather than past the date.

Buying barrels, close to their sell-by date at reduced prices, from distributors, that was the way they got their foot-hold in the business. Employing staff with little or no experience in bar work, selling ale too cold, you wont get me in one of their establishments.

But what of this ?

attachicon.gif20110607-093108.jpg

Sweet zombie jeebus. Beer with clamato is known as a Calgary Red Eye. Great hangover cure. But clamato with gnat's urine is something else. Blech

Possibly not, but then again I can't see the "unsocial drinker" sticking with something like Duvel. That head...

They seem to offer some quite potent ciders at times and that's even before talking about wine. A couple of NW London branches have managed to sell Nigerian Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (7.5%?) for around £3.50. One of my locals is about to offer a keg 6.5% AIPA for £2.99/pint.

And yet I've had to drink 6.5% ales by the half during some festivals. Why? I could buy a bottle of wine for one with no problem. They'd probably give me a straw if I asked, too. ;)

I said a few posts back that it's been a while since I had a really good pint in a JDW. Well today I had one and one of my favourite beers too. Dark Side of the Moose from Purple Moose Brewery.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Found some winderfull new places in Dincaster today.

Doncaster Brewery Tap has only officially been open for a few weeks (although had opened limited times since January). A good range of their own ales plus guests.

Just down the road is a Craft a Corner with a large selection of sales and foreign beers. A bit of a grunge bar but still very good.

The one that most interested us was the Marketplace Ale And Deli bar that probably has the best range of USA craft bottles in the UK from a bar and very friendly staff. We came out with some rather nice bottles!

• RMweb Premium

Found some winderfull new places in Dincaster today.

Doncaster Brewery Tap has only officially been open for a few weeks (although had opened limited times since January). A good range of their own ales plus guests.

Just down the road is a Craft a Corner with a large selection of sales and foreign beers. A bit of a grunge bar but still very good.

The one that most interested us was the Marketplace Ale And Deli bar that probably has the best range of USA craft bottles in the UK from a bar and very friendly staff. We came out with some rather nice bottles!

Going by the first line you've spent some time there already. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Having just done Scaleforum one is now in the Kings Head Aylesbury partaking of a pint of Chiltern Brewery's finest. If I new how to upload a photo of what remains of it I would. I will add the pic when I get home.

Good choice.  Didn't call in today but the brewery and shop is only a couple of miles down the road from Stoke Mandeville. Also, and conveniently for me, the brewery happens to be en route to No 2 son's university :imsohappy:   They usually have Chiltern Ale and the excellent Beechwood Ale available, plus whatever seasonal brew they're doing.  They're shut on Sunday's though.

post-319-0-49956900-1411856875_thumb.jpg

Ralph

Lambton58

Yesterday had some of this at The Wagon Works: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wadworth--coronado-brewing-mermaids-red/288071/

May indulge again today.

Not a bad drop that, I had one in the Giddy Bridge recently, having worked our way up from the Admiral Lucius Curtis and the Standing Order.

The spoons autumn ale fest is on again soon, no doubt I'll be taking in the 3 above with the Wagon Works and Gaol House in Winchester.

In fact October is looking busy all round, next wekend is Hants Oktoberfest at Basingstoke with the CAMRA festival at Woolston on the 11th...that shed is never going to get finished at this rate :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A while back I was given a pack of three bottles, the best of British beers, the first two were good, the third I decided to have tonight, 'Stonehouse Brewery (Shropshire) Derivation Best Bitter'. What came out of the bottle is definitely not 'Best Bitter', more like the worst fizzy lager from a cheap supermarket. Any ideas what's happened here? does this brewery have a good reputation?

post-7104-0-16326000-1411936206_thumb.jpg

Any way, it's gone down the sink to be replaced by something altogether more wholesome...

post-7104-0-27669400-1411936228_thumb.jpg