Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that the 24 bottles of Brewdog Five AM Red that I have just ordered (they were out of stock over Christmas :nono: ) arrive in time for Hogmanay.  I also must manage to fit in a visit to Brewdog's newish pub in Dundee as i've never tried any of their beers on draught.

DT

Hope your brew arrives safely...I've been disappointed in the early days with non arriving bottles but Brewdog have really upped their game since then.

The pubs seem to be a matter of taste with a very clinical stripped down theme to them, all the ales on tap will be keg versions too, they declared a stop to cask production some time ago which has led to some of the amusing spats with CAMRA in recent years.

• RMweb Premium

Brewdog differentiate between craft beer, eg Brewdog products, and real ale.  They take the view that "Regardless of dispense style of production method, craft beer is beer brewed for taste" and they claim that "Real Ale is exclusively focused on beer re-fermented in cask or bottle regardless of quality or flavour (whileas) craft beer focuses on being ********  awesome regardless of arbitrary rules and out-dated distinctions".  They point out that the carbonation in their beers - which they believe to be essential - comes from primary fermentation and that Brewdog beers do not fall within the definition of keg beers as set out by CAMRA.  This can all be read at http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/craft-beer-v-real-ale .

I've only had Brewdog bottle beers and I have little doubt that they are among the most flavoursome beers I have ever tasted.  I'll be very interested indeed to try their pub beers.

Oh, and 24 bottles of Five AM Red have just arrived! :imsohappy:

DT

Edited by Torper

Yes, Swordfish, like most ales is better on draught. But at £1.50 a bottle (Tesco 4 for £6 offer) it's less that half the price of going to the pub 200 yards up the road.

I'm a big fan of the Box Steam Brewery. Funnel Blower is my favourite of theirs, it's a superb porter with hints of vanilla. But all their ales are very drinkable.

I found these at my local. I was of course taken in by what is blatent marketing.
post-1819-0-74791700-1420506839.jpg
Unsurprisingly, the price was greatly inflated compared with comparable products (almost 2X).

They are made by Fish Brewing from Olympia, WA (close to Tumwater, once home of Rainier - now part of Pabst, not that that is a mark of distinction).

I drank the Pils. I have to say when I first saw the label for "Precious Pils" I misread the "l" as an "s". No complaints, but the label scores higher than the beer.  I haven't decoded the runes on the top left of the label - not visible in the photograph.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this thread and haven't had time to read it all but I thought I would mention that in the USA noted for the weakest and blandest national brews there has been a massive upsurge in microbreweries resulting in some really good stuff. Just finished a six pack of bottles of Diamond Bear brewery's Oatmeal Stout from here in Little Rock, excellent brew!

This upsurge has got at least one of the big boys a bit worried to the extent that a few microbreweries have been bought up and they have produced some good beer of their own under different names.

Bud Light.....yuk!

Edward

• RMweb Premium

Just came across this thread and haven't had time to read it all but I thought I would mention that in the USA noted for the weakest and blandest national brews there has been a massive upsurge in microbreweries resulting in some really good stuff. Just finished a six pack of bottles of Diamond Bear brewery's Oatmeal Stout from here in Little Rock, excellent brew!

This upsurge has got at least one of the big boys a bit worried to the extent that a few microbreweries have been bought up and they have produced some good beer of their own under different names.

Bud Light.....yuk!

Edward

Don't forget that the two 'spoons in Lancaster both do a range of US beers, including SIxpoint, Lagunitas, and Devil's backbone (keg).

• RMweb Premium

Yuk!

To which, the 'spoons, or the beer choices - I used to think that Amercian style IPAs and the like were dire, but they are, in fact a lot better than one might expect.

To which, the 'spoons, or the beer choices - I used to think that Amercian style IPAs and the like were dire, but they are, in fact a lot better than one might expect.

I was not impressed with devil's backbone!