Trainspotting in the Highlands!

Copying more old photos I came across this one from May 1992.

Combining two of my hobbies... trains and mountains.

The photo shows the scale and grandeur of the scenery along the WHL, and even at this distance the sound of the 37 echoing off the mountains was incredible.

Hope it's ok to post here as this is probably not a serious Scottish railways topic! Please remove if it's out of place in this section.

post-13274-0-07196000-1406393532_thumb.jpg

Spot the 37/4 with 6 sealion/seacows....

• 4 weeks later...

I can't see the 37 at all...

But.. Me and the Mrs can see at least 4 faces, an animal (dog) and a naked woman in the mountainside!!

What a fantastic photo.. Maybe we spent too long looking at it though!

Cheers

Mark

Edit: Add 2 elephants, a wolf and another 2 people to that! I know you think we're mad, but just take some time to look at the mountainside...

The 37 is to the left of the wagons. I'd say the best face was directly above the rightmost wagon, quarter of the way up the mountainside, girl with very strong chin and long hair straight out of a Viking story. She's giving a talking to a little thin faced chap. Can see a baboon, a pig and a few scary monsters as well.

I can't see the 37 at all...

But.. Me and the Mrs can see at least 4 faces, an animal (dog) and a naked woman in the mountainside!!

What a fantastic photo.. Maybe we spent too long looking at it though!

Cheers

Mark

Edit: Add 2 elephants, a wolf and another 2 people to that! I know you think we're mad, but just take some time to look at the mountainside...

I can see it....perhaps I'm mad too.

post-12740-0-48384800-1408833989_thumb.jpg

I've found a wolf, an elephant, a naked lady, a skull,a humming bird, ET, the viking girl and friend, a roundhead soldier, and two cave art deer?.

I'm starting to doubt its an elephant now that I've found the naked lady.... :swoon:

but back to topic an excellent photo makes you look in awe at how they lived while making the line, wonder how high the mountain have to be if you were modelling in OO gauge?

Steve

but back to topic an excellent photo makes you look in awe at how they lived while making the line, wonder how high the mountain have to be if you were modelling in OO gauge?

Steve

Ok...here goes :scratchhead: ... I've only got the newer 1 1/4" OS maps which are metric

Loch Treig at approx. 250m above sea level.

The mountain, which has yet another unpronounceable Gaelic name, is 979m.

Height difference 729m, which my converter tells me = 2391.73228ft ! - so lets say 2392ft

2392ft x 4mm = 9568mm

Mountain height if modelling in 00 -   9.56m = approx. 31ft...!

Height of naked lady approx. 8ft 6" :O

• 1 month later...

post-21198-0-85044400-1413641274_thumb.jpg

If this attachment works it will be a first. As a change from the mountain/railway combination, here is a botanical study at Inverness today. Emerging from the bush at left is 68 005 Defiant, which has just whizzed on to the Tesco train. I just read an article on railway photography by the late Bishop Treacy and have picked up some useful hints.

In a similar vein to the original post, here's one from near the summit of Beinn Odhar (901m) north of Tyndrum. Again, strictly not a railway photograph (and there's no train in sight), but I did try to make sure that the WHL and Auch Gleann Viaduct were visible in the shot.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=47404

Archived