RMweb

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

I think a fuelling point certainly adds an extra dimension with operational potential but then you need to make space for fuel storage tanks etc.

I’ve got a track plan in mind which is based on the idea of a old two road steam shed/goods depot converted to a diesel serving point, but I’m wondering would a stabling point with a few old office buildings fit in better 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Either way at least I know what I’m doing with ELJ at long last!

Paul

If only you knew someone who had started building a Liverpool based diesel servicing point!

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Don’t worry any diesel depot layout ideas are way in the future, ELJ will have to be at least 90% complete before I even think about anything like that.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a weeks leave but hardly any modelling done due the mrs having some really bad virus and half term, so if I wasn’t being daddy daycare I was being Nurse Owens!

I have managed to measure up the road and cut the base out using thick card, this will be built up with the roadbed and pavement.  I’ve also ordered street lights so hopefully I can crack on next week.

I also plonked the brickwork onto the board roughy into position just to see how it will look.

Paul

IMG_4992.jpeg

IMG_4993.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg

IMG_5032.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Couple of hours today so measured up where the bridge will go on the board and took a better look at the weathered track, the oil seems to of not disappeared once sealed which is good, I then cracked on with more brickwork.  Doesn’t seem like I’ve done much but it was great to finally get some modelling done.

Paul

IMG_5078.jpeg

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Managed an hour yesterday, having looked through many photos of the bridge over the last four years I actually realised something I’d missed so this was corrected today along with adding the first iron beam using a brass section.  I also cracked on with the pavements.

Paul

IMG_5144.jpeg

IMG_5145.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A bit more on the pavements tonight but nothing worth warranting a photo, lack of decent modelling time has hampered the track building which is rather frustrating as I’ve got all the chairs etc waiting to go.  I was hoping to get a good few hours Thursday but the schools on strike so that day is written off so I’m hoping Friday might see things continue.  Once I get all the point blades made up and fixed into position I really need to build the frame work for the first board then things can really crack on as the ground position signal is in production so will hopefully arrive soon and I can get all the ballast down etc along with scenics.

Hopefully some proper updates soon.

Paul 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

More on the roadway done yesterday so put them loosely together today just to give an idea of how it will look.  The strip of plastic in the middle of the roadbed will run the entire length as this will give the road its camber.

IMG_5169.jpeg.1c6d1b63b618dcfe6cdf470b2d5e0db9.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg.9c4e64ab8a84b4fc62030f0383977f88.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg.f3fe20aaec886fc99bd40aba207ae008.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg.7a5b0c780ec09e03e3a6e7e49c6f71d7.jpeg

IMG_5172.jpeg.6a17921919d742223ec68f604f3f5d5c.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg.042cd46af78bbda4cd59af72e3822a28.jpeg

Since returning to EM I must admit I really regret not persisting with it the first time around,  I know I’ve learnt a lot since especially dabbling with 7mm but if I’d of stuck with it I might of actually had a finished layout!

I suppose things happen for a reason… 🙄

Paul

IMG_5173.jpeg

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Nice modelling, shame about the scarf!

Mike.

At least he's burying it under a viaduct.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, PjKing1 said:

Keeping it well hidden this disastrous season 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

Not as disastrous as ours, Paul!!  Championship for us, I reckon.  Still we support our team through thick and thin, as I tell my family!   Thank goodness we've got railway modelling to keep us sane!  

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Not as disastrous as ours, Paul!!  Championship for us, I reckon.  Still we support our team through thick and thin, as I tell my family!   Thank goodness we've got railway modelling to keep us sane!  

Do you think you’ll go down mate?  I did watch last nights game and it was quite scary how you fell apart though.

Paul

On 01/03/2023 at 10:39, PjKing1 said:

It’s a great feeling 😃👍🏼 I’ve pulled the wheels out using a pinion gear puller, there’s quite a few types out there, Mike (Enterprisingwestern) has been a huge help in pointing me in the right direction with what I needed, and I already had this BTB gauge from my previous venture into EM, hope this helps.

I’ll be doing a video hopefully tomorrow showing how I convert a 40.

Paul

B1209B33-621A-49EE-96B9-ECF5E5C52108.jpeg

B2BAD45E-BE8B-4E8C-B396-0E5BA2AA5A07.jpeg

44F795F7-62A4-45C4-851A-EEC621A2687E.jpeg

2008DCA4-EE80-4C9C-BB2D-47191F5BCB2E.jpeg

Hi Paul. I'm after getting a wheel puller to tweak back to backs and remove some wheels. Have you got a link to the one you have? I've seen a few on ebay but not sure what the diameter of the pressing rod is on them. Hope that makes sense! 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2023 at 09:47, PjKing1 said:

Do you think you’ll go down mate?  I did watch last nights game and it was quite scary how you fell apart though.

Paul

Yes, is the short answer, Paul!!

Hopefully, we'll get a bit of investment - it's being talked about - but mainly people who know how to run a sports business.  There's a load of aggro towards Bill Kenwright but I think Moshiri has overruled him quite a few times.  It's not all Kenwright's fault.

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

Yes, is the short answer, Paul!!

Hopefully, we'll get a bit of investment - it's being talked about - but mainly people who know how to run a sports business.  There's a load of aggro towards Bill Kenwright but I think Moshiri has overruled him quite a few times.  It's not all Kenwright's fault.

I definitely think Moshiri is to blame Rod, on a positive your new ground is looking very good.

Paul

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, sb67 said:

Hi Paul. I'm after getting a wheel puller to tweak back to backs and remove some wheels. Have you got a link to the one you have? I've seen a few on ebay but not sure what the diameter of the pressing rod is on them. Hope that makes sense! 

Evening matey here’s a link to the one I bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354405506274?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nptdmal8r2q&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=iFtnEPyxTtq&var=623814943831&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Hope that helps 

Paul

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sb67 said:

You could try GW Models, advertises in the Model Railway Journal. Also does an excellent quartering jig if you need it.

Martyn

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I use the one Paul has as well it's ok for anything up to 5'3" drivers for anything else you need something like this.

20230303_203746.jpg.dfd55440ee1ad0de975ba0ac98d97e6c.jpgIt's 2.5 inches across. The best way to use one of these is to cut a disc of brass sheet the same size as the wheel and cut a slot to clear the axle and slip it behind the wheel and pull on the brass disc not the wheel tyre or you can pull the tyre off the wheel. I'm also going to turn down the bottom of the screw to under 1/8th but it still works as it is. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, mullie said:

You could try GW Models, advertises in the Model Railway Journal. Also does an excellent quartering jig if you need it.

Martyn

I’ve heard about these I really need to get myself one as I’ve heard really good things about them.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ground position signal arrived on Friday but I missed the postie so I’ll have to collect that on Tuesday, I really need a day were I can get a good couple of hours and I can crack on with the track but due to work and school strikes modelling time is just the odd 20 minutes here and there.  Work has continued on the bridge but since using foamex fir most things recently the card pavements I’ve made dint seem to be cutting it for me so I might re do this with foamex which is not a big deal and will probably look better in the long run, it’ll certainly be stronger anyway.

Quite looking forward to getting to the stage of weathering this and adding the street lights and little details.

Paul

• Like 1

On 29/04/2023 at 21:25, PjKing1 said:

Thanks Paul, I'm only ever going to use it for Diesel wheels so I recon that should be ok. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Early shifts really don’t favour modelling time but I have managed ten mins this morning, I’m long weekend but up early as we need to travel to Nottingham to pick up a new addition to the family.

I know it’s not much but it’s progress

IMG_5297.jpeg.84a56f8f8d4a46170a5ac717634349cf.jpeg
IMG_5298.jpeg.9a1d315d9b31329653f489d5050662b1.jpeg

I’m hoping to have Tuesday to myself so I’ll be cracking on with the points and maybe even the framework as once that is built and the track is wired up I can install then ground position signal 😃

Paul

• Like 5