That's why I've told myself no more, I've got two 08's, two 20's a 25, 37,40, 45 an the 85 all to add sound to, the exeption being unless it's already got sound fitted. I have got my eye on a nice little 108 from dc kits with biffo sound fitted ;)

Cheers, Paul

We always want more, it's a sort of illness that goes with the hobby!!!!!!! :O

I love the country sounds, and why not a cow mooing, that 37 could of easily startled it!!!!!! Although I get what you mean about the area, but I was always lead to believe that you could get 'anything' in Liverpool, as I live just over the bay from there!!!!!! :jester:

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We always want more, it's a sort of illness that goes with the hobby!!!!!!! :O

I love the country sounds, and why not a cow mooing, that 37 could of easily startled it!!!!!! Although I get what you mean about the area, but I was always lead to believe that you could get 'anything' in Liverpool, as I live just over the bay from there!!!!!! :jester:

Jinty ;-)

There's definitely some cows but not many that moo!! ;)

Nice neck of the woods across the river where about are you?

The sounds are something I'd been thinking about for ages and its something I'll incorporate into the finished layout, bird songs, distant traffic and the distant rumble of wagons being shunted (Edgehill is just through the bridge). All that's a long way off but when I start doing proper videos I'll use them then to.

Hopefully tonight I can crack on with the trunking and I might just experiment with a small piece of ballasting. I've just priced the signals up an that's gona cost about half the price of a sound chip :O so I need to start saving!

Cheers, Paul

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Across the bay (Liverpool Bay)!!!

Near Abergele in rainy, windy N. Wales ;)

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty

lovely part of the country we're hopin to buy a caravan next year in Presthaven sands we go a couple of times each year, an all my holidays as a kid where over there. The sister inlaw lives in Pennyford to!

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Just managed to get an hour in.

I've cut and laid the base for the trunking using plasticard an I've give it a first coat of paint, I'll give it another cost tomorrow then start on the lids, I'll cut away some of it and have the lids off on a couple to.

I've also had a little tester with the ballast, using fine granite clippings on the main line and a darker version mixed with some ash ballast on the goods lines to Pighue Lane. I've been using the excellent photos on Flickr for reference, this is just a tester really to see how it looks so any thoughts would be welcome.

And lastly I've poped in some track pins to see how they'd look for the signal pulley posts, they'd have to be detailed but it gives me an idea of how things will look.

The first bit of the trunking base.

post-18716-0-03068800-1412719030_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-14746500-1412719053_thumb.jpg

The ballast testing.

post-18716-0-49056300-1412719122_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-95679700-1412719147_thumb.jpg

And the signal pulley posts.

post-18716-0-16868800-1412719195_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Looks like N gauge ballast?Way to go!Phil

Thanks Phil

I know the black/dark ballast is n gauge but I think the grey granite chippings is OO gauge, I could be wrong though I'll check tomorrow night as I'm tucked up in bed now soz. I'm quite impressed by it though :D

Thanks, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Morning

I've just checked the ballast and its CB models, OO gauge fine granite chippings, which I'm quite surprised about as it looks really good for OO gauge. The other is fine cinders and carr's ash ballast.

Here's a pic of what I'm tried out.

post-18716-0-55112400-1412740069_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Paul

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a little bit more done over the last couple of days, I ordered some Phoenix Pricision Paints 'Rusty Rails', after reading a thread on track weathering on here and I have to say I'm really impressed with it, as it doesn't look like that horrid red rusty colour and it'll be toned down with weathering to. So the tedious job of rail painting has been taking up the spare time. I've given one side of every rail two coats, so just need to turn the board and do the other side now!!

Then I can carry on with the ballasting, then weather it all.

Couple of pics below.

post-18716-0-18903500-1413040690_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-16356900-1413040705_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-00771600-1413040726_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Great looking Ballast mate and love the hut

Coming on nicely

Brian

Thanks mate, just done a bit more painting then hopefully I can get the rest of the ballasting done after work tomorrow.

The huts a ratio one I think, I'm just using it to give me an idea of space etc, I'm goin to scratch build the proper hut as it's a brick structure in the original.

Thanks, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Well I've finished painting the rails on the main line and I've done a bit more ballasting. I've sprinkled some sand into the ballast to try and mix it all together. I must admit the colour of the ballast 'un-weathered' an still wet, looks er crap to be polite, so just hoping weathering track is as easy (and enjoyable) as weathering locos and makes it look better.

I've used a more cinder/ash type ballast mixed with the granite ballast on the slow line so it resembles the type of ballast in the goods line to Piggy (using photos as reference).

post-18716-0-98250300-1413231233_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-69584000-1413231313_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I finished work early today so thought I'd tackle weathering the ballast that's down so far and.....I think I've completely wrecked it!

The grey ballast as it was looked blue so I used the airbrush an sleeper grime, then black were locos would stand off held by the signals. I then added various weathering powders, but I'm just not convinced, I know it should be mucky and grungy as its in the last days of steam an lots of diesels but looking at it before I was ready to chuck the board in the bin.

I'm a bit reluctant to put a picture on but thoughts would be welcome.

post-18716-0-26678100-1413310174_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Paul

• Like 1

I think it looks ok, very much as I remember the parts of the Liverpool railway that hadn't been re-ballasted by the 90s. If you're unsure then you can always use the airbrush to add patches of grey for patch repairs to the ballast, no need to bin it and start again. Alternatively mix small amounts of colour with matt varnish to create a wash and add colour variation, the exact colour doesn't matter as your brain sees different shades and light/dark more than it sees colour.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark an Bob :) much appriciated.

The more I look at it though and the more it dries the happier I'm feeling about it, like you both say a few tweaks here an there an it should look ok.

I've started putting the lids on the trunking to, quite therapeutic!! Apart from supergluing a couple to my fingers!! ;)

A couple of wonky ones

post-18716-0-74802500-1413319578_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-79653400-1413319594_thumb.jpg

And a cracked one!

post-18716-0-40592900-1413319608_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, Paul

• Like 3

Don't know how you've got the patience to make the trunking!! I used the Ten Commandments trunking and found it excellent. It looks true to scale size and has some lids missing and separate with visible cables moulded in that really add some fine detail. I wasn't too happy with their line side electrical cabinets though, they are cast in plaster and took a lot of work to get right. Strangely I found the Hornby Skaledale cabinets were a better option, and will use them in future.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mark

I started cutting them the other day, so it's not to bad if you just do a bit each day, I was gona buy some but then just thought, may aswell save a few penny's and make em!

The ones I leave the lids off I'm gona put some old wire in to represent cables etc.

Thanks, Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Whilst I was up an not doing much in the gym I was thinking about the road bridge at the Pighue Road end of the layout and I've come to the conclusion it's going to look a bit compact and maybe to cluttered, so EdgeLane Junction will be getting a third board eventually. This can incorporate the start of the fiddle yard to but it can be wider to allow the lines to Piggy to swing to the left more, which is more accurate. It's something that had bothered me at the start but I'm feeling happy about it all now.

This is still all a long way off but it'll save me having to build one bridge for now!!

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been giving the lids of the trunking a couple of coats of light grey paint but nothing worthy of a picture, I have however came up with this rather lame excuse of a diagram (yep I've been lazy and cheated a little) of how any future extension will look following on from this mornings post.

Not much of an extension but enough to give it a bit if space.

post-18716-0-38085200-1413401463_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 2