• RMweb Gold

Only just come across this thread. You are modelling the area where I used to live and work. Looks like it may well make the Exhibition Circuit   (that way I will be able to see it : :yes:)

Keep up the excellent work and looking forward to progress. Garston sounds like a real plan also.

Thanks very much and glad you like it :)

I'm not far away so when it's a bit more up and running your welcome anytime to come and have a play!! Don't suppose you've got any old photos or info of the area?? Just I want to try and get it as good as possible.

Many thanks again, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Not really done much over the last couple of days but I've more or less finished the ballast on this board and weathered it, just a few touch ups then I'll seal it. I did however spend a few minutes gluing the final lids onto the cable troughs, so seeing as I've not really gone into to much detail of how I've made these I thought I'd post a few pictures tonight.

I've just used strips of thick plasticard to make the troughs which has been glued into position, then using thinner plasticard I've cut 13mm by 4mm pieces for the lids. Going off photos the troughs seemed wider on the Edge Hill side so I've made them slightly larger.

For the areas where the lids are off I cut a trench in the trough, I'll plave some old wire into these to represent cables etc. Once it was all glued into place it was given a dark coat of grey paint as a base layer, then given three coats of a light grey to give it that 'concrete' look.

I then glued the lids on individually but not all perfectly in line with some wonky ones, I then gave these a coat of paint then finally I've started to give it all a light dusting with powders.

(Sorry for the quality on some of the shots I'm casting a shadow over the work)

I've cut one lid to give a cracked look.

post-18716-0-51263500-1413915532_thumb.jpg

A slipped lid, I still need to add the cabling into this.

post-18716-0-12755000-1413915826_thumb.jpg

The mainlines to Edge Hill, this side has had the weathering done.

post-18716-0-88963800-1413916007_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-75513800-1413916143_thumb.jpg

The goods lines to Piggy, I've started to paint this side and the troughs are cut in places for missing lids, the pics below show the progress so far including, the not so straight lids, the trench cut in the trough ready for cables and the un-painted lids recently glued into place.

post-18716-0-67390700-1413916205_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-99025900-1413916382_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-31024300-1413916543_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-29936600-1413916578_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-38026100-1413916660_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Great use of small details to make it a 'believable' scene.

You'll be onto the greenery in no time ;)

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty, all the polystyrene is ready and waiting to make a start on the embankments an the other green areas, few more small derails to finish first though but shouldn't take that long :)

Thanks again, Paul

There not hard to make ,but I'd buy one so you do not get shocked like I did if the wire comes loose inside it'll give you a nice belt lol

Brian

• RMweb Gold

There not hard to make ,but I'd buy one so you do not get shocked like I did if the wire comes loose inside it'll give you a nice belt lol

Brian

Ha cheers mate I'll bare that in mind although there's quite a few bug killers knocking about in my aunties house and I could just wear thick rubber gloves :D

Paul

Thanks Brian, suppose I'll have to get myself a static grass applicator or should I make one??????

Cheers, Paul

I made one with a negative ion generator off ebay, some waste pipe and one of my son's old bottles. All in cost about £5 plus an hours work. Works quite well.

A couple of pic's here

P.S. - layout is looking really good.

Happy modelling

<edit to add link>

Edited by sdw7300

• RMweb Gold

I made one with a negative ion generator off ebay, some waste pipe and one of my son's old bottles. All in cost about £5 plus an hours work. Works quite well.

A couple of pic's here

P.S. - layout is looking really good.

Happy modelling

<edit to add link>

Thanks very much I'll take a look, I'm guessing they can't be that hard to make :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Gold

Whilst replying to Barnsley Central the topic of brushes came up, so I just thought it would be worth mentioning on here as I never said what I used to weather the ballast. I did in fact use a blusher brush robbed off the Mrs to dust the weathering powders, it's great I highly recommend raiding the Mrs makeup draw, just don't get caught and Andy please don't get any wrong ideas about this update!! :D

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

Whilst replying to Barnsley Central the topic of brushes came up, so I just thought it would be worth mentioning on here as I never said what I used to weather the ballast. I did in fact use a blusher brush robbed off the Mrs to dust the weathering powders, it's great I highly recommend raiding the Mrs makeup draw, just don't get caught and Andy please don't get any wrong ideas about this update!! :D

Cheers, Paul

just don't put it back if you've used it for weathering, or the s@#t will hit the fan!!!!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil much appriciated :)

No modelling tonight but I did have time to take a few staged photos, I even blew the dust off the peak!! I really do like this one, just needs a sound chip an better weathering on the bogies and it's good to go.

I won't put captions against them as their just random shots of what I thought might look good.

post-18716-0-49715800-1413997391_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-73197400-1413997407_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-87254900-1413997425_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-91279600-1413997437_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-40553600-1413997515_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-81855400-1413997555_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-40560900-1413997797_thumb.jpg

post-18716-0-97194100-1413997809_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Paul

• Like 5

Nice pics mate I can just imagine the 40 sat whistling away at the signal

It's going to be a great layout once it's done

Keep up the good work

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Nice pics mate I can just imagine the 40 sat whistling away at the signal

It's going to be a great layout once it's done

Keep up the good work

Brian

Thanks very much Brian

Can't beat a 40 whistling away :) hopefully not long till I can get get a couple of videos done.

Thanks, Paul

.............. I highly recommend raiding the Mrs makeup draw, just don't get caught and Andy please don't get any wrong ideas about this update!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Just keep providing the 'leads' Paul............... :declare:

• Like 1