Hornby Northern Belle

miles73128

Quote from Rail Exclusive Northern Belle brochure, "Permission for Horny to produce any further Northern Belle Class 47s has been withdrawn, including any already announced but not yet released".

R3134 and R4539 Northern Belle now in stock at dealers........... So that’s going to be an interesting conversation…………………….

Quote from Rail Exclusive Northern Belle brochure, "Permission for Horny to produce any further Northern Belle Class 47s has been withdrawn, including any already announced but not yet released".

R3134 and R4539 Northern Belle now in stock at dealers........... So that’s going to be an interesting conversation…………………….

It probably is only the Horny ones that are the problem, so these others from the Red Box team should be okay.

"Permission for Horny to produce any further Northern Belle Class 47s has been withdrawn, including any already announced but not yet released".

This was discussed at length elsewhere and was probably just a stupid marketing by RE and was just to boost sales. Hyped up un-necessarily. RE are just playing with words uselessly.

Some comments from various memebers before:

- "Personally I find RE's language concerning the Hornby model and their not being allowed to produce any more pretty churlish."

- "I agree with the comment on the Hornby reference, I don't really like comments like that on product web sites regardless of which supplier it is or who they're having a go at."

- "RE are doing what most people do, they still try to compare models that are aimed at two totally different ends of a spectrum. The railroad version is aimed for kids. As what Hornby said about the incorrect number and lack of branding is that there was no need to pay the full fee for something that never was intended for collectors. Personally I see the sense in that."

ummm The Hornby Northern Belle (ex lima) pack was finally released today and now available at retailers. So much for the statement "including any already announced but not yet released".

Personally I'm pleased for Hornby :O

Hornby have said:

Just arrived - Hornby Northern Belle Train Pack and Coach Pack

We’ve been working really hard behind the scenes at Hornby HQ to improve our delivery dates, and we’re excited to announce the arrival of the Northern Belle Train and Coach pack two weeks early.

Not really true is it? I make it 104 weeks late! Lol. Is it me or is there three lines under the Northern Belle logo on the loco? Pic on Hornby site. Seeing as this is all old models, ex-Airfix coaches and ex-Lima loco, should this pack be described as 'Railroad' standard?

Hornby have said:

Just arrived - Hornby Northern Belle Train Pack and Coach Pack

We’ve been working really hard behind the scenes at Hornby HQ to improve our delivery dates, and we’re excited to announce the arrival of the Northern Belle Train and Coach pack two weeks early.

Not really true is it? I make it 104 weeks late! Lol. Is it me or is there three lines under the Northern Belle logo on the loco? Pic on Hornby site. Seeing as this is all old models, ex-Airfix coaches and ex-Lima loco, should this pack be described as 'Railroad' standard?

It is because their revised delivery date was put back to mid-August when I asked them two months ago. 

To be precise, it needs more than etches and handrails - it requires the cab-floor/ buffer-beam cowl corrosion mods, which are probably the most obvious divergence from prototype fidelity.

I agree the paint/ print finish is excellent - regrettably the cabside decoration doesn't have the same geometry as the prototype, per the photo below.  Possibly some reduction in the yellow wrap-round would address this. 

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Belle_Class_47,_47790_%22Galloway_Princess%22,_Crewe_railway_station_(geograph_4019876).jpg

To be precise, it needs more than etches and handrails - it requires the cab-floor/ buffer-beam cowl corrosion mods, which are probably the most obvious divergence from prototype fidelity.

I agree the paint/ print finish is excellent - regrettably the cabside decoration doesn't have the same geometry as the prototype, per the photo below.  Possibly some reduction in the yellow wrap-round would address this. 

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Belle_Class_47,_47790_"Galloway_Princess",_Crewe_railway_station_(geograph_4019876).jpg

As well as the cab fronts requiring the former Stratford now Eastleigh Class 47 knack of plating over the former Headcode panels - Hornby should have a Class 47 bodyshell as Lima did do a smooth fronted 47 in their range in the past.

Even though the Ex Lima 47 is now well old in the detail stakes it is still I believe a very good representation of this class of loco, so glad they did not resurect the old Hornby model !!!

Very much what I was thinking - the ex Lima class 47 was one of Lima's relatively decent models and Hornby have very slightly upgraded this to bring it up to Modern standards, the upgraded chassis with new motor and DCC Compatibility being worth enough as it is for me (I've got a few of the ex Blue Pullman 47 chassis running under Lima bodies now).

Guest 43300

Ouch :derisive:

The first (Railroad) one Hornby did in NB livery was overall crap in pretty much every way! In addition to using the old Hornby tooling, which is much inferior to the ex-Lima one, it had the wrong number, no name and was missing half of the branding which the real locos carry (to avoid licensing costs?)

One of the 'real' locos has now been permanently withdrawn and there is talk of DRS repainting two of the 57/3s they have just acquired from NR into Northern Belle livery.

Could someone who now has the Northern Belle train pack check this;

On the Belvoir coach, bottom left, it says "Pullman" on both sides of the coach. However, on the Chatsworth it only says "Pullman" on one side of the coach, is that right or has the printing been missed?

Even though the Ex Lima 47 is now well old in the detail stakes it is still I believe a very good representation of this class of loco, so glad they did not resurect the old Hornby model !!!

Except (as discussed on previous threads) they did for the 'Railroad' model released last year.

Could someone who now has the Northern Belle train pack check this;

On the Belvoir coach, bottom left, it says "Pullman" on both sides of the coach. However, on the Chatsworth it only says "Pullman" on one side of the coach, is that right or has the printing been missed?

Looks like you have a duff coach. All my coaches have Pullman on both sides, including Chatsworth.

The first (Railroad) one Hornby did in NB livery was overall crap in pretty much every way! In addition to using the old Hornby tooling, which is much inferior to the ex-Lima one, it had the wrong number, no name and was missing half of the branding which the real locos carry (to avoid licensing costs?)

One of the 'real' locos has now been permanently withdrawn and there is talk of DRS repainting two of the 57/3s they have just acquired from NR into Northern Belle livery.

yep, 47832 suffered a turbocharger explosion, blew into 7 pieces, all which ended up in the cylinders. So 47832 will be in need of an engine rebuilt before it can run again! The model doesn't look all to bad, 2 things that it will need is the orange multiple working socket and also the class 57-style etched grilles.

yep, 47832 suffered a turbocharger explosion, blew into 7 pieces, all which ended up in the cylinders. So 47832 will be in need of an engine rebuilt before it can run again! The model doesn't look all to bad, 2 things that it will need is the orange multiple working socket and also the class 57-style etched grilles.

Wasnt running on one of those old Lima pancake motors then was it?

The model doesn't look all to bad, 2 things that it will need is the orange multiple working socket and also the class 57-style etched grilles.

Is that all?

If you don't order the RAIL EXCLUSIVE NB pair pretty sharpish, before the last few are sold, you'll only be able to get this one, then you'll find out what's really needed.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived