Alternative to 247 Developmentws?

terry.ecmr

I think the line Societies should take on the preservation of supplying these kits/components on behalf of their memberships as probably the vast majority of members are modellers.

What, like the *kof*sterling work*kof* that the Southern Railways Group has done in continuing the Phoenix range of coach kits and components?

What, like the *kof*sterling work*kof* that the Southern Railways Group has done in continuing the Phoenix range of coach kits and components?

The Board Gauge Society have done an excellent job in keeping the IKB range going and making this available to a wider audience of GWR enthusiasts via their website.  (no 10' Dean bogies though in their range!).

My main concern is with the LNWR Society that does nothing of the kind for it's membership which is much larger than the BGS and the LNWR items in the 247 range are likely to dissappear too unless someone does something about it.

To be fair, and to make you aware of the facts;

Chris Knowles-Thomas (SRG Sales Officer) has had two personal tragedies this year (which I do not wish to make public, as they do not concern us) these have taken up most of his time (along with being on the wish-list poll team), so before you slag him / SRG off, pose the question on here and someone will let you know the facts).

Er ....let me get this straight you don't want to tell us but you want RM web-er's to ask someone else to explain it ?

I am confused.

• RMweb Gold

Being devils advocate, I don't think anyone was making comments against a specific person, but to me it seems, with the best will in the world, a voluntary society is not the ideal place for a range of manufactured goods to be placed.

Although the fact that it is still in existence, and somebody was willing to take it on, is to be applauded.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, and to make you aware of the facts;

Chris Knowles-Thomas (SRG Sales Officer) has had two personal tragedies this year (which I do not wish to make public, as they do not concern us) these have taken up most of his time (along with being on the wish-list poll team), so before you slag him / SRG off, pose the question on here and someone will let you know the facts).

Phoenix kits are still in production and I personally have been waiting patiently since April for my order, which will arrive at some point.  

Cheers

One would have thought that a simple statement on the website about delivery times (without going into any unnecessary personal details as you have done) would prevent people getting frustrated as the earlier poster was.  It takes seconds to edit a web page.  The fact that the group can't be bothered to communicate with the modelling public sends the wrong message.

I think the line Societies should take on the preservation of supplying these kits/components on behalf of their memberships as probably the vast majority of members are modellers.

Are the majority of modellers members of said societies? Otherwise they are cut off from supply.

Andrew

Are the majority of modellers members of said societies? Otherwise they are cut off from supply.

Andrew

The Broad Gauge Society, for example, sell direct to the public via their website and offer standard gauge items as well as broad gauge.  Members get a discount off certain ranges.  There is no reason why other societies could not follow this example.

Peter

The Broad Gauge Society, for example, sell direct to the public via their website and offer standard gauge items as well as broad gauge.  Members get a discount off certain ranges.  There is no reason why other societies could not follow this example.

Peter

Agree, but like a lot of these things its finding a volunteer who is willing to take on the manufacture etc etc.

LNWR society wise about half of the membership say that they are modellers. Not being a member would not cut people off as you would sell to both members and the general public, in much the same was as the society already does with its publications.

I believe that the non duplicate coaches from 247 range are possibly being transfered to Stephenson Coaches so they will live on for now

Peter

There are possible tax implications.

I believe there are issues when selling to the public v. a closed society, but I may be confusing that with a different issue.

Increasing sales by selling to the public could require VAT registration, causing more work for the volunteers.

Andrew

I believe there are issues when selling to the public v. a closed society, but I may be confusing that with a different issue.

Increasing sales by selling to the public could require VAT registration, causing more work for the volunteers.

Andrew

Not a UK resident so no idea of UK tax regulations, but if a good number of the small traders are not VAT registered why would a society need to be? From our side of things, being VAT registered means they can sell VAT free outside the EU where as the small traders collect VAT regardless. Everyone can thank me later for helping support you lot!

Craig W

I'm sure Kenton could advise on this if he were still here.

Yes, it feels like the world has stopped turning or something.

Any argument (sorry, discussion) about MRJ, P4, kits, hand building track just isn't the same without him   :beee:

Not a UK resident so no idea of UK tax regulations, but if a good number of the small traders are not VAT registered why would a society need to be? From our side of things, being VAT registered means they can sell VAT free outside the EU where as the small traders collect VAT regardless. 

If the increased turnover from opening up sales puts them over the threshold then they have no option but to register for VAT. Small traders are just that, small, i.e. below the t/o threshold.

Non VAT registered traders do not collect VAT, but they do have to pay it on all supplies from VAT registered suppliers. Reaching the threshold and having to register, thus account for 1/6 of sales as VAT, can represents a considerable hit on margins for a growing business.

Andrew

I am disappointed with 247's lack of response and switched to Fox who have always provided a timely response.  I do appreciate that small suppliers may not check their emails every day (though I check mine more often than that and I am no longer in business).  As a self-employed person for most of my life, 23 years of which were spent in the USA where service is spelled with a capital S, I do get frustrated with the British lack of a sense of urgency.  My emails stressed that I had a time limit on my purchase before leaving the country.  I fully appreciate the frustration aired earlier on this thread by Australians.  Small suppliers can do it right - look at Comet's service under Geoff Brewin - so if one can, so should all.

I am disappointed with 247's lack of response and switched to Fox who have always provided a timely response.  I do appreciate that small suppliers may not check their emails every day (though I check mine more often than that and I am no longer in business).  As a self-employed person for most of my life, 23 years of which were spent in the USA where service is spelled with a capital S, I do get frustrated with the British lack of a sense of urgency.  My emails stressed that I had a time limit on my purchase before leaving the country.  I fully appreciate the frustration aired earlier on this thread by Australians.  Small suppliers can do it right - look at Comet's service under Geoff Brewin - so if one can, so should all.

When 247 was still doing commission plates, I arranged to do plates for a City class, a Bulldog and a Star. They were missed from the next batch and I was promised them for the batch after. Then he simply stopped replying to emails. Very disappointing indeed. I placed an order with Fox a couple if weeks ago for transfers - had them within a week (In Australia). They are excellent waterslide transfers and I recommend them highly. I also purchased some plates from them and asked about commission plates. I am having a hard copy of them sent to me in the next couple of days (City Class Durban and Duke class Mendip - if anyone wants one I will have 5 sets)

That is service.

Craig W

Andrew

I don't think it's VAT, but Corporation Tax,that societies become liable for if selling to non-members.

Archived