Alternative to 247 Developmentws?

terry.ecmr

I have purchased many items from Gary at 247 over the years, most recently at Railex.

On June 1st I emailed him an order for some GWR cabside number-plates. The following morning I called him an he took my card details for payment.

After waiting about 3 weeks I phoned Gary and he said he would check what had happened to my order and call me back.

On July 12th, having not heard back from him, I sent another email.

It's now 3rd August and I have still had no response.

I have 3 loco's sitting waiting for plates and my patients has run out.

Does anybody know of an alternative supplier of etched brass cabside plates?

Terry

'Earl's Court Model Railway'

ecmr.webs.com

I have purchased many items from Gary at 247 over the years, most recently at Railex.

On June 1st I emailed him an order for some GWR cabside number-plates. The following morning I called him an he took my card details for payment.

After waiting about 3 weeks I phoned Gary and he said he would check what had happened to my order and call me back.

On July 12th, having not heard back from him, I sent another email.

It's now 3rd August and I have still had no response.

I have 3 loco's sitting waiting for plates and my patients has run out.

Does anybody know of an alternative supplier of etched brass cabside plates?

Terry

'Earl's Court Model Railway'

ecmr.webs.com

My grandparents live just down the road from 247 BT have cut thuogh a cabel in the village lost of phones & internet down so this may be why he is nor emailing you back

So tell me how long ago did BT cut the cable? I have emailed at least three times over past 12 months and I am still waiting for a reply to any of my emails. I live in Australia so you can imagine how tiresome/painful I am finding his "customer service"!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to say that i placed my first order with 247 in early October while i was in the UK, and was pleased with the speed of the response by email to my inquiries and shipment of the parts and plates ordered.  I was very happy with the plates and the overall experience of dealing with Gary.

-Stephen

David Geen?

According to his web site, David Geen's range of GWR bogies stops at 9'.  I am not aware of any other source of 10' GWR bogies apart from 247 Developments.  I have a number of clerestory corridor carriages to build that require these bogies.

We are fast heading to disaster for kit stuff as people/manufacturers/cottage industries retire.

Ready to Run only soon.

Need a time machine to get back to 80-90's when there was a plethora of goodies to be had.......

Where art there now Westward , Crownline , Mopok , Cavendish etc etc.

I suppose what we need is to encourage newcomers to the hobby to move on to making things rather than just buying r-t-r, so there is enough demand to make it worthwhile for current suppliers to continue and for new ones to start up.

We are fast heading to disaster for kit stuff as people/manufacturers/cottage industries retire.

Ready to Run only soon.

Need a time machine to get back to 80-90's when there was a plethora of goodies to be had.......

Where art there now Westward , Crownline , Mopok , Cavendish etc etc.

All gone, just not enough punters to keep them going.........

According to his web site, David Geen's range of GWR bogies stops at 9'.  I am not aware of any other source of 10' GWR bogies apart from 247 Developments.  I have a number of clerestory corridor carriages to build that require these bogies.

The website is now 5 years out of date. David has masters now for both a 10ft and 8 ft 6in Dean bogie with separate footboards which will be available soon, most probably after Christmas.

Mike Wiltshire

The website is now 5 years out of date. David has masters now for both a 10ft and 8 ft 6in Dean bogie with separate footboards which will be available soon, most probably after Christmas.....

Five years is a long time in model railway patternmaking.

I suppose what we need is to encourage newcomers to the hobby to move on to making things rather than just buying r-t-r....

All gone, just not enough punters to keep them going.........

Said punters defected to RTR. Probably irreversible.

Five years is a long time in model railway patternmaking.

Dean bogies have not been a priority as there are no current coaches in the Geen ranges that required Dean bogies. Now the first clerestory kit is about to be released into the Geen range, the bogies have been put at the top of the pattern list.

Remember this is an extension of his hobby, whereby he makes items for himself and friends and makes the same items available to others. Also men in sheds work in their spare time...and even then only when the family allows and this takes no account of other interests, own modeling, and issues of growing old. For those not in the know, standing in front of a casting machine all day is not the most pleasant and healthy activity.

Mike Wiltshire

The website is now 5 years out of date. David has masters now for both a 10ft and 8 ft 6in Dean bogie with separate footboards which will be available soon, most probably after Christmas.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks very much for the info Mike.  I hope he will have some of the Dean bogies ready for Scalefour North next year which is probably the next place I'll catch him.  

I have some break composite etches from Worsley Works that need these bogies to complete plus a few others in my todo pile.  Cheers.  Peter

Said punters defected to RTR. Probably irreversible.

A shame if that is so. Will the situation go back to the '50's, nothing between r-t-r and scratch-building? Returning to the hobby after some years the change mentioned is clear, in 4mm SG at least, there don't appear to be kits for such popular engines as the 48xx, Terrier, Beattie well tank? (Correct me if I'm wrong), presumably because of the r-t-r versions?

Maybe there will be some scale without a big enough market for the big r-t-r makers, but enough to make the supply of some kits and bits worthwhile? (3mm?,7mm?)

Archived