Question: UK daytime and night-time headlight rules

NGT6 1315

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all!

If my memory doesn't completely fail me, I understand there is a rule that on motive power suitably equipped, there are different headlight settings for daytime and night operation.

Could anyone perhaps tell me when which of the two settings is to be used? I seem to remember the left headlight is more intense than the right hand one, so I suppose the night-time setting might also be advisable in poor weather conditions.

Thanks in advance!

Guest 838rapid

It used to be that the right hand headlight was for daytime running and the left hand one was for night time,this was because the left hand side one illuminated the area near the cess and enabled sufficient illumination for track workers to be seen in darkness.

Haven't driven a train since 1995,but believe it's still the same today.

I once had a nighttime cab ride in a 150/2, and was surprised how powerful the HI lamp was. Unsurprisingly, having the daylight WIPACs on at night is frowned upon by drivers coming the other way.

I can only surmise that the beam for centrally mounted lamps on (amongst others) Cl.50/56/87 etc must be adjusted to the left.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

When the Wipacs were originally introduced, there was no day or night running - just the right hand (secondman side) was used with the driver's side to be used as a spare. However, when the time did come to use the spare, it was often found that it didn't work, as it hadn't been checked or used beforehand. By introducing day and night running, it ensured that both lamps are regularly used (and therefore checked) and as stadman above says, either can be used in the event of failure.

With regard to the light pointing to the left (as per UK road vehicle dipped headlamps), it generates a problem when fast and slow lines are paired together, such as on the GWML and parts of the WCML for example. One fast line will shine into the path of the adjacent opposite direction slow line.

Cheers,

Mick

On class 142s (not sure if it's still the same) Although there was a day and a night headlight only the night one ever was in use as the switch in the cab was headlight on or off, no option for day or night.

Some of the scotrail 156s have both headlights illuminated at the same time. You couldn't do that in the past but they seem to have been modified.

As has been said above if one headlight fails you can use the other regardless of whether it's day or night.

142's definitely have day and night lights fitted at present. If anyone's toy one doesn't I can modify a real one to match Monday morning - you can explain it to p'brook though.

There is a proper spec to set them to, it never gets checked though technically until post incident testing or a new unit gets fitted. I've never ever seen it done though.

Guest 838rapid

Central mounted headlamps on locomotives in the early 1990's seemed to be set wherever the bulb ended up facing,I remember being a second man on freight and we had an a amazing view inside box tunnel as the headlight was facing upwards instead of downwards.

Not that people get a chance to see inside Box tunnel,but it was almost like a cathedral in places,the headroom was amazing .

Nowadays I understand they are set to correct angles so they actually do what they are meant to.

The worst trains I had the pleasure of driving for headlamps were the 141's, I think I would have been better having a candle in a jam jar hanging off the front.

They were dire in so many ways,cable brakes,bus interiors and amazing build quality..

Did they deserve to be withdrawn so early, yeap!!

Archived