Totally stuck

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I have totally confused myself (not hard I know) but I can't seem to decide where to model.  My gut feeling wants to model the Wembley Park area as I worked on both the Jubilee and Met and was based at Neasden, but I feel Stanmore or Queens Park might be better!  I even thought about Uxbridge but it's in a trough and the wrong side to display my route 207 buses.

Any ideas?

Julian Sprott

Having enough length to model real railway places as they were, is always a problem, even if you have an old aircraft hangar to play in. And

I would agree with XF. One way of doing that is to realistically model highly recognizable "corners" of places you remember that look right from a particular viewing point of your layout. You'd be surprised at how many of those you can fit in where the rest of the layout (and other viewable points) provides the fuzzy background "length extension" to make those places look complete when you just focus on them.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I did think about Shepherds Bush but the station is the wrong side to where the 207 terminates.  I also have the complete set of Bachmann's GC set and thought about using that; using A60's, Metro-Vic's and LT steam.

Julian Sprott

How about the 'alternative universe' approach?! That's what I did for Uxbridge, called it 'Uxbridge Central', assumed that when it was redeveloped in the '30s all three former termini (LT + 2 GWR) came under the same roof as it were, and now feel I can get away with murder in modelling what I want to, within reason.

The result; i'm very happy running a circa 1960 layout with Met-Vic & Dreadnoughts (stretching a point, but I do remember some T stock on the line at the time, but anyway I like them!), F stock, plus 1938- and 1959/62-stock and, of course a couple of LT PTs, alongside BR western steam and some diesels. I even sport a 607 trolleybus heading for Shepherd's Bush!

And why is Uxbridge 'in a trough'? I'm puzzled. Is this a geographical description or a criticism?!

Whatever you build - enjoy.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

I say that the station is in "a trough" because the platforms are at street level for the main exit but you have to climb stairs to exit to the left for the buses, by the cafe.  The station has concrete walls either side and enclosed by buildings on top, also the line has quite a steep climb to get out the station.

Julian Sprott

Ah, OK. I understand. I haven't been there for a very long time, so my imagination has had plenty of time to pervert reality. The wonderful thing, though, about alternative universes is that you can fiddle with reality quite a bit! Good luck in coming to a decision on location.

Graham

You don't say how large a space or the configuration you are thinking of but here's my suggestions for what they are worth.

Ealing Broadway offers considerable scope, I know it's an enormous station to model with the four Western lines,Central and District Line platforms, but you could choose to model just a section. The District platform could be suitable as they partly covered by and overall roof. This can be used to disguise the fact that the space cannot accommodate the 100's of feet of platform required. Those who model micro layout sometimes use this method to great effect.

Diverting the bus route I have often thought Greenford would be an interesting station to model,with the Greenford branch bay sandwiched between the two Central Line platform faces. In addition at the back of the station at a lower level is the line to Marylebone.As a bonus there is still the odd semaphore signal as well.

Finally although not an LU station Hanwell would make an interesting model as it has  been restored to look like the old Great Western Station with replica station signs lamps etc. so running steam or "modern " stock" would not look out of place.

David

• 3 weeks later...

You could still model Uxbridge. just use the old Belmont Road site, and if you want pretend that the Met did complete its plans to extend the line beyond Uxbridge to High Wycombe. I can remember seeing the old station building, a very similar design to Ruislip, the only other station on the branch when it opended in 1904, still standing in the 1950s when we went as a family to shop in Unbridge. It was a monthly visit as Dad rented our TV from the Radio Rentals shop/showroom in Belmont Road. The old station building was being used as a wholesalers depot (Buttons?) IIRC by then.

Alternatively, just forget about the cutting and model it to resemble its twin at Cockfosters which is, AFAIK, not in a cutting.

However, if you want to use your Bachmann GC then go for Rickmansworth, lots of engine changeover work, plus the bay for the North Curve service to Watford.

Or what about Watford itself. The Panniers used to reverse there for the Croxley tip trains. Watford, I believe, had a direct GC/LNER service to Marylebone when it was first built, another chance to use your GC stock.

If you're worried about the 207 not going there, just change the transfers on the bus. Modelmaster do Route 158 transfers which used to run from Ruislip Lido to Watford Junction via Ruislip Manor, South Ruislip, South Harrow, Harrow, Wealdstone, Brookshill, The Alpine, Bushey Heath and Bushey Arches. I think the modern 258 uses the same route from Wealdstone garage to Watford Junction. Just use some artistic licence to route it via Watford Met.

Goodness, the old 158 to Ruislip Lido ... memories of days gone by!

Sorry, not a constructive comment, but I felt the need to reminisce!

Let your alternative universes rip. Go for imagined alternative Uxbridges, or anywhere else for that matter ... I did!

Good luck, Julian

Goodness, the old 158 to Ruislip Lido ... memories of days gone by!

Sorry, not a constructive comment, but I felt the need to reminisce!

Let your alternative universes rip. Go for imagined alternative Uxbridges, or anywhere else for that matter ... I did!

Good luck, Julian

Yep, the 158. Taught me that you wait an hour for one and then 3 come along at once, and the one that you want is always at the back. Put me off London buses for life and permanently converted me to always using the Underground to travel round London.

I have totally confused myself (not hard I know) but I can't seem to decide where to model.  My gut feeling wants to model the Wembley Park area as I worked on both the Jubilee and Met and was based at Neasden, but I feel Stanmore or Queens Park might be better!  I even thought about Uxbridge but it's in a trough and the wrong side to display my route 207 buses.

Any ideas?

Julian Sprott

You want to display your route 207 model buses? Why not use Ealing Common station?  OK, it's only two tracks, but it's slap bang next to Ealing common depot. You could run both District and Piccadilly trains, and you can even get a card kit of the main station building: http://www.kingswaymodels.com/page4.htm

I think you should certainly look into changing the bus destination and number so you get the layout you want rather than be dictated by buses! There have been some really good suggestions here and I was in a similar boat to you stock wise which is why I went for harrow on the hill. Rayners lane is an interesting choice. Lots of stock would have used the station - even Bakerloo line trains going for overhaul at acton would have reversed there. Neasden could be interesting as there is a scenic break at each end of the station and there is scope for shunting.

Archived