O.K. its time for me to start looking at the track, as I have already alluded to Jason, (Sandside / Bacup for those who don't know) has kindly offered to build my points.

Today I have received the Templates from Marcway and although Jason may not be using these I need some idea of what will fit within my 16ft.

From now on I'm going to call it 15ft, the reason being that once its lined out it will undoubtedly be under 16ft.

I copied some of the templates and laid them out on the Lounge carpet, I thought the room was 16ft but its 20, doooh.

Anyway I worked out roughly what I need, but on the original drawing below there is a trailing crossover to a Single Slip on a right hand curve. Now I've never seen a curved Single Slip modeled, I don't even know if it can be done so on my carpet plan I have substituted it for two points.

EDIT = I have missed the point for the head shunt from below, but this will be rectified later

Firstly the plan I am trying to copy, remember I want the geometry right but will need a large compromise on scale, with the Station Platform on more of a curve and shortened slightly.

post-9335-0-71666600-1409148927_thumb.jpg

Next the carpet plan, I have used a 54/36L curved poit for the Trailing Crossover back into the yard, it then needs a curved Single Slip but I have had to substitute for two 36's firstly a right to align the tracks for the up and down mains.

post-9335-0-22544200-1409149142_thumb.jpg

The 36R will be the main line and the 36L will be the feed into the goods loop.

post-9335-0-49353900-1409149229_thumb.jpg

Next come two 48L points, the first is the Coal Siding and the Second on the left is the General Siding.

post-9335-0-67350100-1409149307_thumb.jpg

This is followed by a 72Y point that is so prevalent in the prototype, this feeds the Goods Shed and the link to re join the main line.

post-9335-0-03697500-1409149333_thumb.jpg

There is a Loco release crossover behind the Goods Shed and that is a pair of 36L points and with either a 48R or 54R feeding the main line and the connection into the Goods Loop.

post-9335-0-02502200-1409149525_thumb.jpg

Lastly a pic of the Y point that is such a feature of this end of the yard.

post-9335-0-09120900-1409149579_thumb.jpg

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 11

Really looking forward to seeing this develop, Bitton is only 20 minutes from me so have a local interest  :locomotive:

Cheers Chris, its good to have you on board for the ride, it will be interesting as I have never tried to model a prototype before.

Now don't go getting to excited, it wont be an exact copy, although I will ne sticking with the track plan as seen above, but there will be compromises and ready to plant building as least in he short term.

Bodge

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Next time I get the chance, I'll have a go at that curved single slip. The Midland would never have used a facing point into the goods yard.

I can see this is going to cost me, ahhahah

Cheers Jason, now get on with some work, hahaha

Bodge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jason's right Andy, the trailing turnout and single slip are just so Midland the layout would the poorer without them. If I can build a double junction with 4 curved turnouts and two curved diamond crossings using C&L components then Jason will have little trouble with a curved single slip in copperclad. Will you build it as one unit Jason?

• Like 1

Jason is right Andy, you need a single slip and a turnout to give you a crossover and a way into the yard.

Here is a pic of Canal Road with a point, single slip, double slip, point.  I am keeping this arrangement in the new (modified) station layout.

Another piccie showing from t'other end.

Derek

post-6110-0-44994700-1409156583_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-21323600-1409156613_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks for that Paul, the density of the foam was one thing I was thinking of and the fact that PVA can seep through a soft foam would defeat the object.

Cheers for that, Ray, (Tender is sending me some Plastazote to have a look at).

Bodge.

It's in the post Andy, first class so should be with you tomorrow.

Ray.

• Like 1

Jason is right Andy, you need a single slip and a turnout to give you a crossover and a way into the yard.

Here is a pic of Canal Road with a point, single slip, double slip, point.  I am keeping this arrangement in the new (modified) station layout.

Another piccie showing from t'other end.

Derek

Thanks for the pics Derek, I was thinking the Slip went the other way to let the up train direct into the yard, but now I see that that will reverse in from the Station end of my yard.

Thanks again.

Bodge,

Should have apologised for my dreadful photography.

Derek

Don't worry, Its given me what I needed to know.

Cheers again

Bodge.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ray, remind me to buy you a drink next time we meet up at a Show.

Thanks,

Bodge.

I bet it'll be nothing stronger than black coffee Ray.

Glad to see things are starting to come together Andy. Hopefully you're feeling better by the day. I know how frustrating it can be just sitting around when there's so many things you want to get on with.

I bet you can't wait for the potting shed to arrive.

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see things are starting to come together Andy. Hopefully you're feeling better by the day. I know how frustrating it can be just sitting around when there's so many things you want to get on with.

I'll bring the milk.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Polly

• Like 4

Do they do WATER in a plastic cup? ahhahha

Nice to see you Ray H.

Bodge

• Like 2

I'll bring the milk.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Polly

Yes I remember that Polly, just why did you bring milk to the Cafe at the Midland Railex last year? hahah

Bodge. still confused, and trauma'd about it

Evening Andy

After trawling through 19 pages, this looks like it will be another of your successes. I'm definitely following this one. :sungum:

A few areas of concern though;

1. Planning? :O

2. Research? :scared:

3. Hand built track? :senile:

At this rate Jeff will be laying track before the you have trains running. :jester: :jester:

Duncan

Evening Andy

After trawling through 19 pages, this looks like it will be another of your successes. I'm definitely following this one. :sungum:

A few areas of concern though;

1. Planning? :O

2. Research? :scared:

3. Hand built track? :senile:

At this rate Jeff will be laying track before the you have trains running. :jester: :jester:

Duncan

Evening Duncan,

Firstly the Panning, well 90% is done, there is really only the fitting of it onto the 15ft x 2 ft scenic board plus the curved ends.

Next the research is complete, with the exception of some of the traffic information such as the Yellow Orche from the Golden Valley that I'm still trying to find the correct wagon and load colour for.

Lastly the hand built track, well Jason will be building the Points whilst I'm doing the woodwork and electrics in the Shed and the straight track will be SMP ready made as per Peco.

So in short I recon I'm all but sorted.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes I remember that Polly, just why did you bring milk to the Cafe at the Midland Railex last year? hahah

Bodge. still confused, and trauma'd about it

Just in case we got landed with UHT milk - it seems quite common these days.  We forgot this year but they had fresh milk anyway.  :sungum:

We thought we were the only ones, at first, but apparently not.  One such person brought her own semi-skimmed.

I know of people who always take a supply of their own tea bags around with them.  I suppose milk is the next step!

Polly

• Like 1

Just in case we got landed with UHT milk - it seems quite common these days.  We forgot this year but they had fresh milk anyway.  :sungum:

We thought we were the only ones, at first, but apparently not.  One such person brought her own semi-skimmed.

I know of people who always take a supply of their own tea bags around with them.  I suppose milk is the next step!

Polly

I'll bring the water next year then, hahha.

Did you enjoy Railex this year?

Bodge

• RMweb Gold

I was about to say "that's a double slip" until I spotted the one you were talking about to the left of the one I saw first!

Nice picture though that, as you say, shows exactly how the single slip was used almost everywhere by Midland to prevent any facing point on a running line. Means you get a nice piece of movement to enter the goods yard from either direction... none of this boring drive straight in that you may have got on some other company's lines!

I was about to say "that's a double slip" until I spotted the one you were talking about to the left of the one I saw first!

Nice picture though that, as you say, shows exactly how the single slip was used almost everywhere by Midland to prevent any facing point on a running line. Means you get a nice piece of movement to enter the goods yard from either direction... none of this boring drive straight in that you may have got on some other company's lines!

Thanks Neil, and I would normally have gone head long into just doing enough points for direct access from both directions.

This will make all Local freight movements more interesting, especially working out how to get the Brake Van out of the way for shunting and then re attached to the correct end of the outward bound Goods.

Bodge.