Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Cracking models there Andy.

Never mind the loss of space you will probably find you'll never miss the stuff thats gone. From Dee's point of view no stairs, one less bedroom to clean, smaller rooms so less to clean, Bodge and his modelling mess out of the house sounds like a win all round to me. Last year we spent from June to March living in the Motorhome when we moved into the Bungalow the amount of work cleaning seemed enormous.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

This thread is like a miniature version of the Lounge, though more railway focused (hurray!!) A very entertaining read. You've plenty of ideas and it'll be interesting to see how you pace yourself once the shed appears!

Jeff

I'm still trying to work out Templot, I have it downloaded, and I've watched the video relating to laying track over a plan.

BUT

It doesn't tell me how to get to the screen where I can copy the Bitton plan, (the one on page 1 with the signals) i.e. it shows the plan already on the page. I can follow what needs doing I think once I can get a screen with a plan.

Can anyone help please?

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Love the cottages Andy! You can't beat Wills kits, nice for you that you have a good builder who does it for you as they're a lot of work.

I couldn't get my head around Templot either, sorry not any help mate.

• Like 1

Love the cottages Andy! You can't beat Wills kits, nice for you that you have a good builder who does it for you as they're a lot of work.

I couldn't get my head around Templot either, sorry not any help mate.

Hi Shaun, There NOT kits, there all scratch built from actual cottages in a couple of Villages near hear. He photographs them and just changes a few minor details so that here not quite recognizable, but he wont tell me where they are from.

The plasticard is from Will's and Slaters and the Sash windows are brass, the doors are made from foam board that he also uses for the basic shell.

The white cottage has a thatched room made from hanging basket liner.

Bodge.

• Like 2

I'm still trying to work out Templot, I have it downloaded, and I've watched the video relating to laying track over a plan.

BUT

It doesn't tell me how to get to the screen where I can copy the Bitton plan, (the one on page 1 with the signals) i.e. it shows the plan already on the page. I can follow what needs doing I think once I can get a screen with a plan.

Can anyone help please?

Bodge.

Send a pm to GordonS (he of Eastwood Town).

Best, Pete.

BUT

Can anyone help please?

Bodge.

Hi Andy

Have a look at the help videos at http://www.templot.com/martweb/video_list.htm and download the video:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/map_picture_shape.exe (display a scanned track plan as a background guide)

This shows you how to load and scale a scanned image into the background for you to lay track over.

Ray.

Edited by tender

Hi Andy

Have a look at the help videos at http://www.templot.c.../video_list.htm and download the video:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/map_picture_shape.exe (display a scanned track plan as a background guide)

This shows you how to load and scale a scanned image into the background for you to lay track over.

Ray.

Thanks Ray, I will try that, do appreciate your help.

Bodge.

• RMweb Gold

From Martin he mentioned a select model track plan option when adding the plan and set the scaling for the plan. Mind you I haven't done it. I find Templot counter intuitive you produce a series of templates which make up the plan whereas when drawing I will create a complex bit of trackwork as a single construct. So I would draw your single slip and associated turnouts as a unit. I would make the first turnout a C7 and curve it from the tips to about half and inch before the crossing. that will then lead into a 1:7 single slip on the straight and a B7 on the goods loop.

Donn

From Martin he mentioned a select model track plan option when adding the plan and set the scaling for the plan. Mind you I haven't done it. I find Templot counter intuitive you produce a series of templates which make up the plan whereas when drawing I will create a complex bit of trackwork as a single construct. So I would draw your single slip and associated turnouts as a unit. I would make the first turnout a C7 and curve it from the tips to about half and inch before the crossing. that will then lead into a 1:7 single slip on the straight and a B7 on the goods loop.

Donn

Hi Don, you've lost me with C7, 1;7 and B7, not a clue what your talking about yet as I haven't got that far.

Bodge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andrew

Turnouts are identified by the switch type starting with an A switch and going on upto F I belive although it may be higher but it is determined by the length of the switch and the planing angle, and the crossing angle. A C7 is a turnout with a C type switch and a 1 in 7 crossing angle.

Slips and Dimonds are just identified by the angle of the common crossing and if its a single or double slip and wether it is an inside or outside slip. An outside slip has both running rails of the slip outside of the K crossing and an inside slip has only the outer running rail of the slip outside of the K crossing.  The K crossing is the obtuse crossing at the mid-point of the slip or diamond and it is where the rails on the same side of two of the tracks cross and is only found on those formations. The common crossing is the acute crossing where the oposite rails of a track or tracks cross it is also known as the V and is at the heel end of the turnout and the switch is the toe end. A slip is really just two turnouts super imposed upon each other with the toe of one turnout within the heel of the other.

I hope this helps and isn't confusing.

Regards Lez.Z.

I think there rather good, they will now go with the rest for Bitton Village.

Confusingly, Bitton station itself is actually in the village of er, Willsbridge; Bitton itself being further down the road.

My coat? Oh it's summer, no need...

• RMweb Gold

Andy Lez has given you an explanation of the turnout coding. The switch letter tells you the curvature of the blades. An A switch is fine for shunting in goods yards but although commercial 00 stock will probably go through them they would not look right too sharp. B and C switches are fine for most model work the D E F are much gentler and are used to avoid speed reductions on full sized railways. The crossing angle of 1:7 means that the diveregence is a the rate of one cm between the rails for 7 cm along. I know that in Selby station throat there is a D14 which is pretty huge my friend built one for his model of Selby it looks good but his line rouns out of the ends of the shed round the garden.

In templot there are options to set the switch type and the crossing angle I was suggesting what I would recommend for you.

Don

If you PM an email address to me I will send you a copy on an article I wrote

Hi Andrew

Turnouts are identified by the switch type starting with an A switch and going on upto F I belive although it may be higher but it is determined by the length of the switch and the planing angle, and the crossing angle. A C7 is a turnout with a C type switch and a 1 in 7 crossing angle.

Slips and Dimonds are just identified by the angle of the common crossing and if its a single or double slip and wether it is an inside or outside slip. An outside slip has both running rails of the slip outside of the K crossing and an inside slip has only the outer running rail of the slip outside of the K crossing.  The K crossing is the obtuse crossing at the mid-point of the slip or diamond and it is where the rails on the same side of two of the tracks cross and is only found on those formations. The common crossing is the acute crossing where the oposite rails of a track or tracks cross it is also known as the V and is at the heel end of the turnout and the switch is the toe end. A slip is really just two turnouts super imposed upon each other with the toe of one turnout within the heel of the other.

I hope this helps and isn't confusing.

Regards Lez.Z.

Thanks for that Lez, I will now have a better idea of what Templot is talking about and a better understanding of what I need to look for.

Re the crossing angle of 1.7, until I start planning I wont have a clue as to what angles mean what on the ground.

Thanks again for a great insight.

Bodge.

Confusingly, Bitton station itself is actually in the village of er, Willsbridge; Bitton itself being further down the road.

My coat? Oh it's summer, no need...

Thanks Vanders, NO don't get your coat, its info like this that I need to be told about. I had realised this when I studied the map but then forgot about it. :no: :no: :no: :no:

As Bitton will not be a 100% accurate model of the Station, just the track plan will be the same, then I will use Bitton as the Locality to avoid confusing myself and others.

Thanks again and please feel free to offer other words of wisdom that may help.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

Andy Lez has given you an explanation of the turnout coding. The switch letter tells you the curvature of the blades. An A switch is fine for shunting in goods yards but although commercial 00 stock will probably go through them they would not look right too sharp. B and C switches are fine for most model work the D E F are much gentler and are used to avoid speed reductions on full sized railways. The crossing angle of 1:7 means that the diveregence is a the rate of one cm between the rails for 7 cm along. I know that in Selby station throat there is a D14 which is pretty huge my friend built one for his model of Selby it looks good but his line rouns out of the ends of the shed round the garden.

In templot there are options to set the switch type and the crossing angle I was suggesting what I would recommend for you.

Don

If you PM an email address to me I will send you a copy on an article I wrote

Morning Don, yet another good insight into Templot, Mike, (mike61680) of Dent fame also made a valid point, (sorry for the pun,) that a modern streamline point would be far to long for the Steam Era, but again, last time I bought Marcway Track I had a 36Y and 36 straight and both seemed to tight for shunting and Tender Locos.

I recon I will be looking at about 54'' for most mainline points and the 48'' for the Yard.

I will PM you my E -Mail address, Cheers for your help.

I will be going back to Ray, (Tender)'s link tonight to study how to get into over laying the Bitton plan on to the Templot graph.

Bodge. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Love the cottages, superb modelling but on the quiet can you tell me who the brunette is?

Dear Mr Peters

I have noticed yet again a horrendous error in your modelling. The young lady mentioned in the above post is wearing clothes that were not available in your chosen modelling period. The top she has on was sold in Chelsea Girl between May 1973 to August that year. The trousers could only be purchased from Dorothy Perkins in 1975. Her hairstyle was made popular after appearing in Hair Magazine dated June 1974.

I do wish you would do your research correctly not mess about with your friends on the internet.

Yours

Miss Rivette Counteer

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Love the cottages, superb modelling but on the quiet can you tell me who the brunette is?

I thought she was from the far east somewhere! Must be my vivid imagination!

Seriously, Lovely cottages Andy it's nice to see you will have the unique touch of scratchbuilt items on Bitton.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks Vanders, NO don't get your coat, its info like this that I need to be told about. I had realised this when I studied the map but then forgot about it. :no: :no: :no: :no:

As Bitton will not be a 100% accurate model of the Station, just the track plan will be the same, then I will use Bitton as the Locality to avoid confusing myself and others.

Thanks again and please feel free to offer other words of wisdom that may help.

Bodge.

I did seem to remember you had mentioned it wouldn't be an total copy of Bitton, hence why I wasn't too worried about the name of the village :D

One of these days I'm going to do Mangotsfield c. 1961. Once I've won the lottery and can afford a barn to build the darned thing in!

• Like 3