Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium

It may cost slightly more but if I were to start again, I would probably choose C&L flexy now or Exactoscale sleeper bases and thread C&L bullhead rail on. Both have slightly thicker sleepers than SMP, and look a tad better too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would second that, Jason. I'm using C&L flexi on my scenic sections and will try the Coachmann approach to ballasting i.e. spread glue, lay track and cover with ballast, vacuum off. The sleeper are 0.8mm thick so not much ballast needed and it the sleepers look to be in the ballast and not floating on top.

By the way, I found that adding a little water to B&Q's vinyl carpet glue makes it much easier to work with and behaves more like thinned Copydex and so is much cheaper.

Hi Guys, Jason, Jonathan and Don, SO now I need to start researching C & L Flexi.

Bodge.

EDIT =  Just see the answer to the research question and at £121.00 for 25 yds,        I think I'll stick with SMP, but thanks anyway Guys.

Bodge2

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Guys, Jason, Jonathan and Don, SO now I need to start researching C & L Flexi.

Bodge.

EDIT =  Just see the answer to the research question and at £121.00 for 25 yds,        I think I'll stick with SMP, but thanks anyway Guys.

Bodge2

Oh dear Andy, you are like me - walking into a monetary minefield! Tread carefully. You don't even want to know what I have been quoted for some windows, BUT I simply have to have them. :O

Thanks Vanders, do you think my GENUINE Derbyshire Limestone Ballast as used in the pic of Loch Leven above will be close enough?

Bodge

I'd say so; it's Carboniferous Limestone from what now seems to be called the 'Northern Province', as opposed to the 'Southern Province', which underlies the Coal Measures of South Wales and Somerset.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Andy I think smp track and marcway turnouts will be a move up for you and unless you fancy building track yourself makes sense. However Jason was indicating he rather liked the C+L or the Exactoscale bases. If you go for that I reckon turnouts to match are required. I am a believer in that the track and the turnouts should match it the track is superb and more detailed than the turnouts the difference would jar to me. However each to their own choice and track is only part of the model.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I've been waiting here for eight hours for it and it hasn't come so I think I'll head for bed,

I think he's just trying to increase the number of reads of this thread.

Isn't today the day the shed base goes in?

I'd say so; it's Carboniferous Limestone from what now seems to be called the 'Northern Province', as opposed to the 'Southern Province', which underlies the Coal Measures of South Wales and Somerset.

Thanks Brian, that's great news, its another thing I can now tick off my check list, (the one that's in my head.

Bodge.

• Like 1

Andy I think smp track and marcway turnouts will be a move up for you and unless you fancy building track yourself makes sense. However Jason was indicating he rather liked the C+L or the Exactoscale bases. If you go for that I reckon turnouts to match are required. I am a believer in that the track and the turnouts should match it the track is superb and more detailed than the turnouts the difference would jar to me. However each to their own choice and track is only part of the model.

Don

Thanks, Don, I have a FAILED attempt at Marcway / SMP last year, but this time I know its the right way to go.

As I've said previously, having see and run Jason's Bacup and Jeff''s Kirkby Lunrside then it will be transformed in running quality and looks alike.

Maybe I should have done it years ago, but as I always say, its never to late to learn new tricks,(providing it doesn't involve computers and gadgets),

I will be posting the Track plan later as well as Jason now needs it to work out his input.

Bodge.

• Like 2

Your'e giving up railways for shipbuilding or plane spotting!

Stamp Collecting!

And I used to do Plane Spotting at Heathrow when I was a Kid, now I can do it from our back garden on a good day, and they used my back garden as a marker for East Midlands Airport.

Bodge

I've been waiting here for eight hours for it and it hasn't come so I think I'll head for bed,

I think he's just trying to increase the number of reads of this thread.

Isn't today the day the shed base goes in?

Morning Ray, yes they made a start about 08.15 with a Mini Digger and Dumper Truck, some pics later when I have some more in the camera.

As for waiting 8 Hours, well I have until 23.59 today, hahhahha NO it will be before then, I promise.

Bodge.

• Like 2

Morning Andy,

Strange how the mind works but I didn't sleep well last night and, listening to the early morning EMU heading for London, I suddenly thought - 'I can hear all the wheels passing on the track at the bottom of our garden'.Then I thought 'they haven't got rubber between the ballast and the solid earth!' From this I suppose one should be careful not to deaden the sound completely, unless of course you're using that newfangled sound chippie thing! Beginning to sound like Ms Rivette Counter (I've decided she must be feminist amongst the other nasty things!).

Any chance of the big announcement any time soon - just realised it is probably wondering about that has kept me awake!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Stamp Collecting!

And I used to do Plane Spotting at Heathrow when I was a Kid, now I can do it from our back garden on a good day, and they used my back garden as a marker for East Midlands Airport.

Bodge

I used to bunk off school and stand at the end of the runway just off the Bath Road. You had to dodge the authorities who always wanted to spoil our fun but there were some old WWII buildings along the inner perimeter you could hide behind. From some of the classrooms at our school (Harlington) you could just make out the numbers as they flew past the window if you had good eyesight but don't let the teacher catch you righting them down or you'd get a ruler across the nuckles. Edited by tender
  • Like 4

Morning Andy,

Strange how the mind works but I didn't sleep well last night and, listening to the early morning EMU heading for London, I suddenly thought - 'I can hear all the wheels passing on the track at the bottom of our garden'.Then I thought 'they haven't got rubber between the ballast and the solid earth!' From this I suppose one should be careful not to deaden the sound completely, unless of course you're using that newfangled sound chippie thing! Beginning to sound like Ms Rivette Counter (I've decided she must be feminist amongst the other nasty things!).

Any chance of the big announcement any time soon - just realised it is probably wondering about that has kept me awake!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Jock, I was awake till 2 as well working things out though, yes I do have some Sound Locos, in the Steamers its just the 3F, 4F, 8F, Super D and Black 5, plus the usual 20, 24, 25, 27, and Peak all in green, plus some Blue Stuff.

The reason I want the sound deadening stuff is because with Plywood boards they will resonate the running sound to much.

Re the announcement, read below, it will be on here very soon.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

I used to bunk off school and stand at the end of the runway just off the Bath Road. You had to dodge the authorities who always wanted to spoil our fun but there were some old WWII buildings along the inner perimeter you could hide behind. From some of the classrooms at our school (Harlington) you could just make out the numbers as they flew past the window if you had good eyesight but don't let the teacher catch you righting them down or you'd get a ruler across the nuckles.

Ha haaa I to spend my weekends at either Heathrow or Fairoaks Aerodrome, people like Dick Emery kept his Tiger Moth there until his mate binned it, he then went out a bought a Pitts Special, the same as they used for aerobatics in those days.

I also used to go fishing alongside the embankments at Brooklands and clime up to watch the VC 10's taking off from there after they were built. They couldn't re land there as the runway was to short for that so they went to Wisley for fitting out inside.

Aghh good memories.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P

Hello Bodgit,  l am really looking forward to the RMweb show on the Saturday, hopefully we can up with loads of RMwebbers....

George

Cheers mate, It should be a good day, were meeting up with Jaz, Kal and loads more webbers that we talk to on here at High Noon.

I just need to rest the day before but the Shed goes in the Day before, hahha

Bodge.

• Like 1

I'VE GOT A BIGGER ONE :O

shed that is

I've gone from a

16ft x 8ft

to a

18ft x 9ft

Loads more room for a nice long plan.

A VERY HAPPY Bodge, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Re the Points, as discussed earlier Jason has said he would build the Points for Bitton, but I have have a good look and a short discussion with Jason this morning and I think I can get away with some Marcway ready to plant points to save Jason some time as he is also busy with other projects as well.

Jason will still make the Trailing point and curved Single Slip but I have placed an add in the Classifieds for any of the following if anyone has any spare bit they would like to throw my way, (normal payment excepted).

I need, Code 75 Finescale

2 X 48'' Right

2 x 48'' Left

2 x 36'' Left

1 x 54'' Right

1 x 72'' Y

I also need about 24 Yds of SMP TRACK again Code 75 Finescale.

Cheers

Bodge

I think that to make the plan work properly in the Potting Shed, you really need the trailing lead from the down to be a curved point as well (and made-to-measure).

Somewhere, I have a very old box of SMP track (1970s). I seem to recall that is Code 65. Could be interesting for sidings as a contrast to the main line tracks in Code 75.

• Like 1

I think that to make the plan work properly in the Potting Shed, you really need the trailing lead from the down to be a curved point as well (and made-to-measure).

Somewhere, I have a very old box of SMP track (1970s). I seem to recall that is Code 65. Could be interesting for sidings as a contrast to the main line tracks in Code 75.

Hi Joseph, your right about the curved point that Jason is making to fit the Single Slip, pop back in a min and I'll pots the track plan.

Re the code 65, that sounds interesting but I will see what I get offered first thanks.

Bodge.

• Like 1