Try these. You can get them in B&Q but Buller's are a lot, lot cheaper (no connection, satisfied customer, and all that)

I tend to mount them horizontal not vertical. The front does tend to droop a little but not too alarmingly.

Here's a picture of mine almost fully loaded and in the closed position. The baseboard is effectively turned upside down - so the top becomes the bottom - to hold everything square. I screw one side of the runner to the underside of the traverser table - which ultimately also slides on the edge of the vertical baseboard supports - and screw the other part of the runner to a piece of timber that is the right thickness to rest on the floor of the baseboard, the timber being screwed to the floor from underneath.

Hold the front page, pictures of the way I actually did it (not the way I thought I did it) will follow in a few minutes. Sorry.

Here it is before I bought too much rolling stock - only joking. This is it after I had built it and before I put all the stock I owned back on the layout, having taken it off to build the traverser!

attachicon.gifempty fiddle yard.jpg

Here I've opened it to show the drawer runners in situ and screwed to the vertical baseboard transverse strengtheners. The gibberish I spouted above is how we plan to build the traversers at the club where the baseboards aren't so deep. The underside of the pictured traverser table has two transverse pieces of 44mm sq. softwood screwed to it and the drawer runners are screwed to the sides of that. You can see the base that helps to keep everything square.

attachicon.gif100914_2.jpg

And finally and possibly not for the feint hearted, here it is in the fully open position with no support other than the drawer slides to the right. Any tilt downwards at the front edge is barely discernible despite the table having only 1½ tracks that are empty. Front and back edges of the table have a piece of aluminium angle screwed - more easily seen in the first of these three pictures. The one on the front edge doubles as something to pull & push the traverser back and forth with as well as a barrier to stop stock falling over the edge. The bulldog clips that can be seen hold my freight stock cards - the future and use of which is still being contemplated.

The traverser table also rests/rubs on the top edges of the vertical plywood cross members so is supported when closed or partly closed.

attachicon.gif100914_1.jpg

Hope that helps, sorry for any earlier confusion and apologies for muscling in on Andy's pitch again.

Hi Ray,

Extremely helpful, I will direct my friend to have a read of this and let him decide. I'll also look in our B&Q for these but I'll be surprised if they have any as their stock levels are abysmal. Thanks again for the thorough explanation and thanks to Andy for turning a blind eye to yet another hijack and I hope he forgives me for getting it wrong again thinking he was going for a traverser. DOH!!!  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

Hope the shed arrives okay but hope you plenty of room all round it ,I thought I had lots of room until I started painting it ,I will have to lose five stone in weight to get behind the blooming thing and finish the final corner.SWMBO says it serves me right for eating to many pies and thinks it all rather funny I dont

Morning mate, I have plenty of room, I have 2ft at the back and the window / garden side will just have the flower bed along the bottom and the other side will form the boundary with our neighbour and we have agreed that we will both maintain that side once a year when his Runner Beans are trimmed back. The Shed man is giving the Shed an extra coat of treatment before delivery and assembly.

Bodge.

• Like 6

Hi Ray,

Extremely helpful, I will direct my friend to have a read of this and let him decide. I'll also look in our B&Q for these but I'll be surprised if they have any as their stock levels are abysmal. Thanks again for the thorough explanation and thanks to Andy for turning a blind eye to yet another hijack and I hope he forgives me for getting it wrong again thinking he was going for a traverser. DOH!!!  :scratchhead:

Morning Mike, I've never considered a traverser mainly due to the room it would take in the room when pulled out but its been fascinating reading Ray's account and seeing his pics and I hope it helps others who may have considered such a device for their Layout.

Bodge

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem with using a traverser on a continuous run layout is the space that it takes up laterally. Not only will the table stick out a long way into the operating well when the two back roads are aligned with the running tracks but those running tracks have to be brought in from the outside edge of the boards so that the front roads on the table can align with the running roads.

So for a 10-road traverser, Andy would lose about 18" on available width for trackwork and that would impact badly on the space available for those sweeping curves.

On the "Up" (outside track), if Andy uses either 24", 30" or 36" (Peco short, curved, medium) as his curve radius in the hidden section, some of the loops can start on the curve giving a lot more length than would be possible with a traverser

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Without wishing to hijack Andy's thread even more, I found B&Q charge about three times what Bullers do and postage isn't that unreasonable. Beware the Buller's price excludes VAT

I accept that there are limits to using traversers - a motorised one would be brilliant (hint) - insomuch as the running lines need to be brought to the front of the board as indicated but you then have corner space for spurs to leave spare stock on and all the sidings are the same length. You also save a fortune on turnouts. For a ten through road fiddle yard you need 18 points (and motors?) and possibly another four (and motors) if you want to add a crossover at each end.

That said, I still have operational reservations about having one with a one person operated layout where you need to operate the traverser for every train change and on a single track layout with a passing station you're potentially doing that at the same time as you're trying to cross trains on the scenic section.

Anyway, enough from me on this subject and apologies to Andy once more. People can PM me if they want any more info. Mind you this incursion into Andy's patch is helping to increase the page count before any trains run and I reckon that he may still manage 100 pages on this thread before that eventful day.

• Like 2

The problem with using a traverser on a continuous run layout is the space that it takes up laterally. Not only will the table stick out a long way into the operating well when the two back roads are aligned with the running tracks but those running tracks have to be brought in from the outside edge of the boards so that the front roads on the table can align with the running roads.

So for a 10-road traverser, Andy would lose about 18" on available width for trackwork and that would impact badly on the space available for those sweeping curves.

On the "Up" (outside track), if Andy uses either 24", 30" or 36" (Peco short, curved, medium) as his curve radius in the hidden section, some of the loops can start on the curve giving a lot more length than would be possible with a traverser

Morning Joseph, the curves in the fiddle yard / none scenic area will be much tighter that in the scenic section but I cant get the final size until I lay it all out.

Bodge.

• Like 1

Morning Bodgit,  Have had a good look at the Dinghams couplers and yes they look good, but there is a lot of fiddly bits to construct and some soldering ?

George

Morning mate, I will need to have a look at them a bit closer some time.

Bodge.

• Like 1

Without wishing to hijack Andy's thread even more, I found B&Q charge about three times what Bullers do and postage isn't that unreasonable. Beware the Buller's price excludes VAT

I accept that there are limits to using traversers - a motorised one would be brilliant (hint) - insomuch as the running lines need to be brought to the front of the board as indicated but you then have corner space for spurs to leave spare stock on and all the sidings are the same length. You also save a fortune on turnouts. For a ten through road fiddle yard you need 18 points (and motors?) and possibly another four (and motors) if you want to add a crossover at each end.

That said, I still have operational reservations about having one with a one person operated layout where you need to operate the traverser for every train change and on a single track layout with a passing station you're potentially doing that at the same time as you're trying to cross trains on the scenic section.

Anyway, enough from me on this subject and apologies to Andy once more. People can PM me if they want any more info. Mind you this incursion into Andy's patch is helping to increase the page count before any trains run and I reckon that he may still manage 100 pages on this thread before that eventful day.

Ray don't worry about the hy jack mate, the information is valuable to a lot of people that look in here.

Your input is always welcome.

Bodge.

Morning all, I've just had a call from the Shed Man and his Daughter has been taken into Hospital so he wont be able to finish working on the Shed today, it now won't be here until next Wednesday 17th.

I'm not worried, his Daughter comes first and I would be out all day Sat at R M Web Live, Monday I'm in Hospital all day and I've been told not to do anything, including driving for 24 hrs when I come out so I couldn't do anything till Wednesday anyway.

Bodge

Lovely kind thought Andy, family and their health always come first with me and you are obviously of like mind as I know just how much you have been anticipating the arrival of the shed. That attitude does you great credit my friend!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Lovely kind thought Andy, family and their health always come first with me and you are obviously of like mind as I know just how much you have been anticipating the arrival of the shed. That attitude does you great credit my friend!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, the way I look at it is this, that after waiting this long, what difference will 6 days make to my final project.

Bodge.

• Like 2

A couple of pages back we were talking about the soft rubber floor mats, well I went into Halfords today and they had some on Special Offer, at a Tenner a pack, so I got 3 packs which will cover about 15ft x 4ft so all down the middle of the Potting Shed.

post-9335-0-96873600-1410436580_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85276800-1410436609_thumb.jpg

Bodge.

EDIT =  There's a Black side with the bobbly bits or there's a flat side that's Grey so I might just put it Grey side up if I can, the flat side will be better to bare feet and hoovering etc.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Jock, the way I look at it is this, that after waiting this long, what difference will 6 days make to my final project.

Bodge.

About half your build time at your normal rate  :jester:

But seriously, it's definitely the right attitude. Good on you sir!

Neil

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from the shed man.......Hahaha got you going there didn't I :jester:

Seriously, good attitude from the Bodgemeister, Good egg eh, what!

Andy, Did you miss me at Lunchtime? No whatsits! I was otherwise engaged e.g. running behind schedule.

• RMweb Gold

Dinghams are quite good, there is one problem they work best when handed i.e a loop at one end only although an exception has to be made for engines which may be turned. This can be a pig is you have a cassette at exhibitions I have been known to just turn the cassette round and run the train back in again. Works when the punters have moved on when the train went off onto the casstte. However you couldnt do that with Dinghams. Andy may well be ok as there will be nowhere to turn stock round.

Tranversers I have used similar drawer runners the ones sold as fully extending given the maximum movement. Those runners that have a dip at the rear are for kitchen where they will stay shut given a gentle shut. The ones I used were level on the full width. On a large 0 gauge one I laid the runners flat under the bed which enable me to place one under the middle as well as the ends. Worked ok but it is the space needed for the traverser full width either side of the approach track. Some clever souls have made one that can be swung round at full extent.

How will we last another 6 days before the shed goes in.

Don

• Like 3

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from the shed man.......Hahaha got you going there didn't I :jester:

Seriously, good attitude from the Bodgemeister, Good egg eh, what!

Andy, Did you miss me at Lunchtime? No whatsits! I was otherwise engaged e.g. running behind schedule.

Damm you Sir, I called my Flip Flop Engineer, I thought it was broke. :O

Bodgester

Dinghams are quite good, there is one problem they work best when handed i.e a loop at one end only although an exception has to be made for engines which may be turned. This can be a pig is you have a cassette at exhibitions I have been known to just turn the cassette round and run the train back in again. Works when the punters have moved on when the train went off onto the casstte. However you couldnt do that with Dinghams. Andy may well be ok as there will be nowhere to turn stock round.

Tranversers I have used similar drawer runners the ones sold as fully extending given the maximum movement. Those runners that have a dip at the rear are for kitchen where they will stay shut given a gentle shut. The ones I used were level on the full width. On a large 0 gauge one I laid the runners flat under the bed which enable me to place one under the middle as well as the ends. Worked ok but it is the space needed for the traverser full width either side of the approach track. Some clever souls have made one that can be swung round at full extent.

How will we last another 6 days before the shed goes in.

Don

Had another look at the Dinghams but will set up a small area close to where the Goods Yard will be and try my 2 Links first, if that works then I will go with those, but still insert the Kadee magnets in case my eyes deteriorate over the years.

Bodge

I can't remember if I paid for my copy or not (although am pretty sure I didn't) but it includes the measuring tool and it is very useful. The cart shed I built for BCB was constructed using measurements taken from the real building, via Google Earth.

The measuring tool is free. I used it to get the dimensions for our Goathland.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just checked the Halford's website. That flooring offer looks fairly permanent, or at least not a one day thing, and it's not just Swadlincote either, so I think I'll pop in there tomorrow and get enough for my garage where the layouts will go once it's empty of boxes and a couple extra to put on top of the carpet under my office chair... I'm too much of a fidget not to mess up the carpet with the wheels of the chair and these look an ideal remedy! They definitely look a good spot!

A couple of pages back we were talking about the soft rubber floor mats, well I went into Halfords today and they had some on Special Offer, at a Tenner a pack, so I got 3 packs which will cover about 15ft x 4ft so all down the middle of the Potting Shed.

attachicon.gifHALFORDS Floor Mats 001.JPG

attachicon.gifHALFORDS Floor Mats 002.JPG

Bodge.

EDIT =  There's a Black side with the bobbly bits or there's a flat side that's Grey so I might just put it Grey side up if I can, the flat side will be better to bare feet and hoovering etc.

Andy,

You will get 18ft x 4ft mate.......Even BIGGER bargain!! I'm going for some myself.

• Like 1

Andy,

You will get 18ft x 4ft mate.......Even BIGGER bargain!! I'm going for some myself.

Hi Mike I don't need 18ft, the inside will only be about 17.5 ft and as the far end from the door will have book cases  across I only need about 15ft ish.

Bodge.

I mentioned earlier that I had a 7F and 9F coming, well here they are.

The 7F will need the full Monty treatment, details, crew, coal, weathering and a Chip.

post-9335-0-59800600-1410459360_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57793900-1410459392_thumb.jpg

The 9F however is a totally different beast, its already weathered and has had a number change, it already has real coal and Firemans tools, It just needs a step re fitting and a Chip inserting and it will be ready for Bittons Coal Trains.

post-9335-0-59738100-1410459593_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-31895600-1410459632_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-48936100-1410459678_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54851200-1410459723_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68751500-1410459766_thumb.jpg

Cant wait to get running.

Bodge.

• Like 15

Hi Andy,

What a couple they make! You teased me with the 9F, there was just a partial glimpse of the number until the last photo, had it been 92125 I would have been down to Swad like a shot pleading for a swap!

Can I ask if you have ever had problems with the motor on a Bachmann WD if you've ever owned one. Mine just stopped working for no apparent reason so I took it to bits tonight and suspect the motor itself. I can get it to run by turning the worm gear and once its away it will run, as soon as it stops I have to do the same again. I think there is a fault with one of the windings. Comments would be grateful.

Got some of those flooring packs tonight and laid one in the garage part leading to the den, very comfy, you will be pleased mate, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1