• RMweb Gold

Glad that you seem to be in the dry again Andy. To take a positive out of it I would say that it's worked out well that you hit this point of the build at the end of November just as the temperature plummeted. If you'd got here in June then you'd have had track, scenics and possibly lots of stock on those boards when you first found the condensation dropping water on them.

By using the crystals and also having the heater on for a bit longer you've tackled the problem from both directions. The crystals are reducing the humidity which means that the dew point (the temperature that you start getting vapour condensing) is lower, which may move it away from the internal surface of the roof as it is. By heating for longer you're also moving the temperature gradient that will also take the dew point further from the internal surface. The ultimate in the latter would of course be to keep the inside so hot that the outer surface of the shed is above the dew point. But then you're simply warming the cosmos and that's a thankless task (ask Jeff about entropy when he comes round!)

So your dual approach is the best way given the construction that you have, and the limitation that every now and again while you're in there you're going to have to breath, thus increasing the humidity. Of course, you could make it a requirement that any visitors you have don't do that ;)

Kind regards, Neil (looking forwards to meeting up with you again at the open day in Swad on Sunday)

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 3

Cheers Neil and to all the others that have been involved in this wonderfully useful debate, Cav was a great help on the phone and tried to explain it to me in simplistic terms that I could understand, and that helped, and along with all you other people far more knowledgable than me on these thigs it is now sorted I hope. 

HOWEVER, I am going to get a small Dehumidifier as well and put on the same timer as the night heater so I hope that will be;

BELT and BRACES.

Off to Club now so back later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Neil and to all the others that have been involved in this wonderfully useful debate, Cav was a great help on the phone and tried to explain it to me in simplistic terms that I could understand, and that helped, and along with all you other people far more knowledgable than me on these thigs it is now sorted I hope. 

HOWEVER, I am going to get a small Dehumidifier as well and put on the same timer as the night heater so I hope that will be;

BELT and BRACES.

Sounds like a good idea and I'm glad you spotted the problem sooner rather than later.

Have a good time with Jason and fun with the weathering.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

BELT and BRACES.

I have found my dehumidifier gives off heat as it works, not a lot but enough to warm a room (B&Q 930 1250W) it certainly warmed up a double bedroom where I used to dry washing. cost per hour is around 20p to run according to:-

http://www.sust-it.net/dehumidifier-running-costs-energy-efficiency.php

KZ

Hello Bodgit, 

You are going to have to build an index to the 117 pages for reference, so many topics and not a single sleeper laid down yet.

George

Hi mate, see Mick, (Donnington Road) reply, he did an index a couple of weeks ago and its in Post 1, and is now being updated regularly.

I have found my dehumidifier gives off heat as it works, not a lot but enough to warm a room (B&Q 930 1250W) it certainly warmed up a double bedroom where I used to dry washing. cost per hour is around 20p to run according to:-

http://www.sust-it.net/dehumidifier-running-costs-energy-efficiency.php

KZ

Cheers Chaz and thanks for posting, I love it when people have real experiences as well as me with these problems, I will be getting a Dehumidifier next week, but I have just been out there now, and as its been raining again today its nice and dry again, it was only the Frost that was causing the problems.

Cheers again and thanks.

Well I've had a good chat with Jason this morning and we have decided to cancel postpone Friday, he has some Car issues, Jeff cant make it, I have a hectic weekend with our Clubs Open Weekend which I am demoing at, and so it has made sense.

It will be back on very shortly though and I'll keep you all updated on that.

As you may have seen in the post above, the Shed is nice and dry this morning as its been raining here and so the Air Temperature has risen enough to stabilise it.

I have some chips to remove from an Old Hornby 9F and a Brit today, both are Tender Drive and so were Hard Wired, but they are now surplus to requirements and so will be up for sale over the weekend at the Club.

I will be back with more updates later.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Just read the thread through from the beginning....... :no:   Just thought I ought to post on it as everyone seems to have done.  :declare: 118 pages in three and a half months, crazy man!!! :smoke:

Good luck with the project

• Like 1

Hi Bodge

I have a couple of ideas to reduce the moisture in your shed.

1, No more cups of tea allowed in the shed. :O

2, No more breathing. :nono:

I know the first one will be difficult to do but the second one should be easy. :sungum: :sungum:

How about NO RAILWAY, hahhahha.

Cheers for your humour Clive. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

Hi Andy

Just read the thread through from the beginning....... :no:   Just thought I ought to post on it as everyone seems to have done.  :declare: 118 pages in three and a half months, crazy man!!! :smoke:

Good luck with the project

Hi Nick. Thanks for posting, that's 3 new watchers in 3 Days, and still not a sleeper laid, BUT fear not young man, it wont be long now as you will see in my NEXT post.

I wasn't sure whether to start the thread in the first place with still not having a Shed, but its been worthwhile as I've had so much helpful advice from loads of different people, it been really good.

Thanks again for popping by, and for your post, and also for your patience in reading through loads of drivel as well, hahahha. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

Afternoon Gang, well this afternoon I have copied the track templates so that I will have a set to work on, on the bench and a set on the Layout so that I can see where I am when it comes to laying and testing.

And I have also stitched a few together so that I can make them up in sets for a better flow on the Layout and a tidier look to them.

post-9335-0-60109800-1417017400_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-80425600-1417017406_thumb.jpg

I then had a mess around with the Goods Yard release Points. As you may remember I had an issue whereby Cav's plan didn't quite fit my boards in this area. The solution was to try some of the points plans that I have copied and see if I can make a pair that would fit.

In the end I have used a copy of the Goods Shed entry Point alongside the Goods Shed, and the Down Line Trailing Point plan for the end of of the Shed Road, its seems to fit very nicely, but I will make these two up once the rest has been laid.

post-9335-0-46059100-1417017426_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-95580400-1417017768_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92333800-1417017779_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-24254200-1417017792_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97611400-1417017807_thumb.jpg

I hope to make a start tomorrow and see how I go.

• Like 13

Andy, All,

I don't think I've noticed a track plan before with a release point after the goods shed.  My assumption, because I think I read it somewhere, is that locos were not allowed through fully enclosed goods sheds?  This being so presumably the loco would propel wagons into the shed from the main line, then run round to pull them through (assuming there were more wagons than shed length).  This would have to be reversed to get them on their way.  If my assumptions are correct this would make an interesting shunting movement.....!

Have just thought though that they could be progressively propelled into the shed from the main line end - so why the release point?

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

Andy, All,

I don't think I've noticed a track plan before with a release point after the goods shed.  My assumption, because I think I read it somewhere, is that locos were not allowed through fully enclosed goods sheds?  This being so presumably the loco would propel wagons into the shed from the main line, then run round to pull them through (assuming there were more wagons than shed length).  This would have to be reversed to get them on their way.  If my assumptions are correct this would make an interesting shunting movement.....!

Your right Jeff, apparently, once the wagons in the Shed are emptied they would be pushed to the back of the road using the wagons in front to reach the loading bay. The Loco would then run around to collect them, I guess in some cases even  putting them back into the Shed road to couple up to any others before departure.

Yes indeed, some interesting movements  to look forward to.

• Like 3

Your right Jeff, apparently, once the wagons in the Shed are emptied they would be pushed to the back of the road using the wagons in front to reach the loading bay. The Loco would then run around to collect them, I guess in some cases even  putting them back into the Shed road to couple up to any others before departure.

Andy,

You had responded before my update...however, what couplings will you be using?

• Like 2

Andy,

You had responded before my update...however, what couplings will you be using?

The Jury's out at the moment mate, I have a lot of stock with Kadees fitted, and I will be fitting Large Kadee magnets under the track. But on my visit to Jason's Bacup I used his 3 Links and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I have a few packs of 3 Links to fit to some stock and then I can see if I can see it well enough on the Layout to use them, and also if they'll shunt O.K.

The Kadee's will still be used on some main rakes of Vans, Coal Wagons and Parcels etc for nice close couplings.

• Like 3

This layout was the same at Cinderford but as the turnout was fairly tight to the end of the goods shed the loco could only collect wagons that were still in the shed. Apparently, the headshunt beyond the shed sloped up towards the buffers so they could roll back into the shed when required. They would presumably be propelled there in the first place with more wagons between them and the loco and therefore could be retrieved in the same way (this was what we did on Clinkerford). I have long been fascinated by how these operations were carried out and have never found a definitive answer.

John

This layout was the same at Cinderford but as the turnout was fairly tight to the end of the goods shed the loco could only collect wagons that were still in the shed. Apparently, the headshunt beyond the shed sloped up towards the buffers so they could roll back into the shed when required. They would presumably be propelled there in the first place with more wagons between them and the loco and therefore could be retrieved in the same way (this was what we did on Clinkerford). I have long been fascinated by how these operations were carried out and have never found a definitive answer.

John

Cheers John, again more ways to do the same job, but I've never heard of a track sloping up before, fairly scary at times I would have thought.

• Like 3

Hi Nick. Thanks for posting, that's 3 new watchers in 3 Days, and still not a sleeper laid, BUT fear not young man, it wont be long now as you will see in my NEXT post.

I wasn't sure whether to start the thread in the first place with still not having a Shed, but its been worthwhile as I've had so much helpful advice from loads of different people, it been really good.

Thanks again for popping by, and for your post, and also for your patience in reading through loads of drivel as well, hahahha. 

Cheers.

That's your own fault for going on holiday and leaving us with no option but to talk amongst ourselves. :jester:

I bet you go somewhere with wi-fi next time to keep us in check :declare:

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I wonder if you have a copy of the template that Jason is using to build your point & slip. It might be useful to have in case you want to start building other bits of track around it now that his visit has been delayed.

Andy

I wonder if you have a copy of the template that Jason is using to build your point & slip. It might be useful to have in case you want to start building other bits of track around it now that his visit has been delayed.

Ray, I think Jason looked at a Slip template and then played it by ear as no one make a curved Slip template, so he had nothing to base it on in the first place. 

That's your own fault for going on holiday and leaving us with no option but to talk amongst ourselves. :jester:

I bet you go somewhere with wi-fi next time to keep us in check :declare:

No, just NOT go away at all, if I cant trust you lot, hahhhaha.

I forgot to post this yesterday, but I have put up a set of shelves along the back so that I could;

A, get rid of some more timber from the worktops, and

B, empty another couple of cardboard boxes.

post-9335-0-04063200-1417023599_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82983800-1417023605_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73258600-1417023614_thumb.jpg

Also is this the first Loco to appear on Bitton?

post-9335-0-42256800-1417023670_thumb.jpg

• Like 16