• RMweb Premium

I just wanted to go back to this, sorry Andy, but I have exactly this situation to deal with at Bakewell.

The two main running lies have a cant, and the crossover and a single slip are on the canted section. In addition, the goods yard loop comes off the outside (higher) side of the canted curve.

You can see the cant here:

attachicon.gifbakewell 8f .1951.jpg

and looking the other way, here:

attachicon.gifbakewell 1960.jpg

It appears to me, that the main lines are individually canted, rather than the whole of the crossover being tilted, but that must mean that the crossover is tilted opposite to the cant, and that the entrance to the goods loop is down a slope? does that seem right?

Al

Hi All

I have a withdrawn BR document about curved track, PM with your e-mail address me if you want a copy, too big to attach on here.  It may be old but for modelling it has all you need to know about curves, cant, and points on the curve with a cant.

Hi all,

Just tried to upload a couple of shots off Google of Penyfford in North Wales but the image police blocked them, don't know why if they are in the public domain but hey-ho! Have a look to see the unbelievable branch coming onto the platform end, believe it or not Class 56's used this recently, worth a look honest!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, the caption I put to those unloadable pictures of Penyfford was: It seems its easier to bend 6" rail than Code 75! ......Lost without the picture though.

Is it the third picture down in this post Mike?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75184-1980s-trainspotting-scanned-pictures-very-random/?p=1136497

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Al the top picture shows clearly the line dropping from the slip to the goods yard. Picture two it looks to me that the outer line is higher than the inner one  it looks as though at the tiebar the rail tops of the two lines are in the same plane and there doesn't appear to be a dip on the crossover.

I would use a bit of 4mm ply wide enough for both lines and raise one edge. Probably best to keep the cant fairly low. From the slip cut the ply across square to the crosstrack and then use another piece of the ply to run down to the yard. avoiding any crosswind (it is  spoken as wind like you would a watch).

Don

• RMweb Gold

Al the top picture shows clearly the line dropping from the slip to the goods yard. Picture two it looks to me that the outer line is higher than the inner one  it looks as though at the tiebar the rail tops of the two lines are in the same plane and there doesn't appear to be a dip on the crossover.

I would use a bit of 4mm ply wide enough for both lines and raise one edge. Probably best to keep the cant fairly low. From the slip cut the ply across square to the crosstrack and then use another piece of the ply to run down to the yard. avoiding any crosswind (it is  spoken as wind like you would a watch).

Don

Thanks Don, once past the crossing, do you think the tracks would revert to being individually canted, or should the whole of the goods yard / station platform area be in the same plane?

Al.

Don

Hi Guys, thanks for the pics and Cant info.

Tomorrow I'm back ON TRACK, and I mean making it as well as pics of the build.

The Cant or can not debate has now run its course, but the Pics from Al have got me thinking Blue Period again.

Oh dear we are in trouble now.

• RMweb Gold

Al it looks to me that through the platforms the outer track drops slowly to revert to individual cant. It is less apparent  looking the other way and the cant appears to be less that way.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys, thanks for the pics and Cant info.

Tomorrow I'm back ON TRACK, and I mean making it as well as pics of the build.

The Cant or can not debate has now run its course, but the Pics from Al have got me thinking Blue Period again.

Oh dear we are in trouble now.

Mr Peter's

Put those thoughts of running a 2P in S&DJR livery out of your head right now :rtfm:

• Like 2

Hi Al,

Not that picture mate, but that shows how quickly the branch falls away, the picture I tried to upload showed a Class 60 heading a freight on the other line 'Up' I think. Thanks for that.

Thanks Don,

Sorry Andy, didn't mean to hijack your thread, or give you ideas about blue periods :O

That first picture of one of those Stanniers (hope I am right haha) would be just right for Bitton.

Don

Mr Peter's

Put those thoughts of running a 2P in S&DJR livery out of your head right now :rtfm:

Morning Guys, Blue S & D, I think not, :nono:

now a Blue Peak on a Parcels pounding through, :locomotive:

AND

Having seen how well Dent can justify going from a Black 5 to a Blue Peak and still look stunning is an inspiration for more running possibilities.

• Like 6

Morning Guys, Blue S & D, I think not, :nono:

now a Blue Peak on a Parcels pounding through, :locomotive:

AND

Having seen how well Dent can justify going from a Black 5 to a Blue Peak and still look stunning is an inspiration for more running possibilities.

.............and why not, it's your railway.  In 10 years time you might well ask what is wrong with running green diesels and private sector, tastes and interests do change.

I should warn you, I built a device into the crossover and slip that will melt a class 66 as soon as it attempts to whine it's boxy dullness across in any direction :D

BASTAR*  Sorry its Mr BASTAR* to you, hahhahha

HO HO HO.

Anyway, like Ferrari in F1 I have some more Blood letting to do, so I will shortly be posting two more Locos in the Classifieds, so here's a Prequel to what's going on offer. 

A Heljan Blue Class 27 with SWD Sound, weathered.

post-9335-0-16919700-1418901571_thumb.jpg

And a Green Heljan 27 with the awesome Legomanbiffo Sound and Bass enhanced Speaker under the chassis.

post-9335-0-73169500-1418901651_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-85274000-1418901667_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26657600-1418901685_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

• Like 5

Afternoon Andy,

Sorry mate, even if I had the funds, I wouldn't be in the market for either - although I take a keen interest in all things 'railway', I'm afraid I am in Jason's camp when it comes to choosing between a coloured box and a living, breathing thing of beauty that is a steam locomotive! I love the 2Ps, having ridden footplate on them regularly in the fifties, in any colour you like - surely they would have strayed past Bitton at one time or another?

Having said that, I felt the weathering certainly deserves a 'craftsmanship/clever' - excellent work!

Keep it up mate, this thread gets more interesting by the day!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Just out of interest, are those metal filings/scrap stuck to the speaker?  If so I assuming they have been attracted to the magnet in the speaker.  Might be worth adding a cover to stop that or you might find all sorts of debris under there….:-)

Cheers Gordon and NO, the white that you see is Plasticard and the Fuel Tanks are Plastic so all should be O.K., I've never picked up and nails or debris yet.

Thanks for caring.

Edited by Andrew P

Cheers Gordon and NO, the white that you see is Plasticard and the Fuel Tanks are Plastic so all should be O.K., I've never picked up and nails or debris yet.

Thanks for caring.

It wasn't the white plastic I was referring to, Andy, it was what appears to be debris around the edges of the small circular speaker in the centre of the larger oval one in the third picture.  I've seen something similar before caused by the magnetic field around a magnet.

Glad to hear my concerns were unfounded…:-)

It wasn't the white plastic I was referring to, Andy, it was what appears to be debris around the edges of the small circular speaker in the centre of the larger oval one in the third picture.  I've seen something similar before caused by the magnetic field around a magnet.

Glad to hear my concerns were unfounded…:-)

Gordon, I hadn't noticed that, I'll go out after tea and have a closer look.

Big Thanks for being so observant.