Hi Andy,

Great to see you with things up and running, and even nicer that all your beautifully made track is working as it should.

Re: The Black 5, I understand what you're doing by changing the CV's, It's always been a bugbear of mine that 'H' charge top whack, and they don't even coast!!!!!

But if I'm not incorrect, aren't 'H's sound decoders ESU 3.5's, and if so, wouldn't a re-blow be worthwile?

Just a thought.

Keep up the good work, but don't overdo it now you're cantering along!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Morning Jinty, the re doing of the CV's will give it a better sound without paying out for a full re blow, I agree with you that a re blow would have lots of advantages but it would still be a 3.5 chip.

At the end of the day, we shouldn't NEED to be doing this anyway, surely Hornby would have know about this before releasing it to the big wide world. :O

At the end of the day, we shouldn't NEED to be doing this anyway, surely Hornby would have know about this before releasing it to the big wide world. :O

Morning Andy,

Couldn't agree more Andy, top dollar for inadequate product!!!

As I said, one of my bugbears!!!

Anyway, I'm off to work now, I take it there'll be grass down by the time I get home ;)

Jinty ;-)

Morning Andy.

Excellent video, but it really brings home the vast difference between steam and diesel sounds the black five sounds really naff just a boring chuff-chuff but the difference the diesel makes is a world away, much more realistic (to me anyway) made my mind up, cheers, more video please..

George

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you get a sound chip with latching, I reckon steam sound would be far better as you could control it better. What is noticeable is that the 8F was on the power until the last couple of seconds, e.g. It was decelerating but still chuffing whereas it should have been coasting with the clank clank sound pretty much all the time in the video. Same with standard diseasel sound if you ask me; most you hear, they are on the power almost all the time they are moving, which is wrong (just as wrong as steam sound really).

For me, it would be sound with latching or none at all because whatever the power source, basic sound chips sound unrealistic.

• RMweb Premium

If you back off the power a single notch on the diesels from Legomanbiffo they do make a different noise.

The Hornby Black 5 sounds are dreadful... but you can get better steam sound  now... things move on apace in the dcc sound world!

Baz

Arrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I just logged on and pressed 'first unread post' which took me way beyond where I had left off if you get my drift. I was reading about events I had no knowledge of and find I need to go back about two pages to catch-up! It means I have to do it my own time instead of works time..........Doh works time is 'MY' own time isn't it! Can't win eh!

Anyway it seems you've got a video for me to watch - can't wait now.

Nice video Andy. Gives a sense of how much space you've got in that shed. Good length trains on a large sweeping bend always looks good, doesn't look if its chasing its tail. Really good to see you've sorted the magnet issue as well, that seems to work perfectly. 

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Don't know if it's antything to do with the sound chip or the sound file/programmer but my Zimo sound steam Locos don't chuff when the power is removed just clank as expected. Unfortunately I can't get this out of any of my Loksound chips, they all chuff to a stop. Consequently I don't buy loksound chips anymore and won't until someone can demonstrate one that works as it should with a steam project. I'm slowly changing my loksound equipped steam locos with Zimo chips as they become available. Unfortunately Hornby and Bachmann both use (or have used) Loksound chips. If you're coming to Stafford pop along to Camel Quay and hear the difference.

Ray.

Don't know if it's antything to do with the sound chip or the sound file/programmer but my Zimo sound steam Locos don't chuff when the power is removed just clank as expected. Unfortunately I can't get this out of any of my Loksound chips, they all chuff to a stop. Consequently I don't buy loksound chips anymore and won't until someone can demonstrate one that works as it should with a steam project. I'm slowly changing my loksound equipped steam locos with Zimo chips as they become available. Unfortunately Hornby and Bachmann both use (or have used) Loksound chips. If you're coming to Stafford pop along to Camel Quay and hear the difference.

Ray.

Afternoon Ray, not quite so, my Howes  Loksound  chipped 8F coast the minute you back the controller off 2 notches, and will just clank, my Super D did the same, I think it depends on who sets them up, the Super D, 3F and 4F are from Locolines in Essex and they all clank and NO CHUFF on coasting.

Morning Andy.

Excellent video, but it really brings home the vast difference between steam and diesel sounds the black five sounds really naff just a boring chuff-chuff but the difference the diesel makes is a world away, much more realistic (to me anyway) made my mind up, cheers, more video please..

George

Hi Mate, your right about most of them, the Black 5 is a classic example of poor Factory Sound so will be going up for sale, along with the 3F and 8F I think. I will then just stick to Diesel sounds on Bitton.

If you get a sound chip with latching, I reckon steam sound would be far better as you could control it better. What is noticeable is that the 8F was on the power until the last couple of seconds, e.g. It was decelerating but still chuffing whereas it should have been coasting with the clank clank sound pretty much all the time in the video. Same with standard diseasel sound if you ask me; most you hear, they are on the power almost all the time they are moving, which is wrong (just as wrong as steam sound really).

For me, it would be sound with latching or none at all because whatever the power source, basic sound chips sound unrealistic.

Hi Jason, I wasn't running the 8F properly, it has a lovely clank to it and will go around our 41ft x 12ft club layout without hardly any chuff at all even with a load up behind, its probably the best of any steam sounds, AND IT FROM HOWES OF OXFORD, but will be up for sale, having run Bacup without Steam sound I will see how it goes, most of the new V4 SWD diesel sounds have notching as does Legomanbiffo I believe, and I've ordered a 47, 37, and 31 today, but only the 47 has been upgraded so far.

• Like 2

If you back off the power a single notch on the diesels from Legomanbiffo they do make a different noise.

The Hornby Black 5 sounds are dreadful... but you can get better steam sound  now... things move on apace in the dcc sound world!

Baz

Your right Baz, I'll be getting a Legoman 33 from them at Stafford I hope.

• Like 2

Arrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I just logged on and pressed 'first unread post' which took me way beyond where I had left off if you get my drift. I was reading about events I had no knowledge of and find I need to go back about two pages to catch-up! It means I have to do it my own time instead of works time..........Doh works time is 'MY' own time isn't it! Can't win eh!

Anyway it seems you've got a video for me to watch - can't wait now.

Yes Mike, Sod work :O , do try to keep up. :senile:  :no:  :no:  ahhahha :scared:  :scared: :scared:  :scared:  

Nice video Andy. Gives a sense of how much space you've got in that shed. Good length trains on a large sweeping bend always looks good, doesn't look if its chasing its tail. Really good to see you've sorted the magnet issue as well, that seems to work perfectly. 

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers Marcus, I've ordered some more Sound Chips today so I should have the Duff, a Tractor and the 31? done by weekend, then its a big weathering job before Stafford.

Not sure whether to put the 31Sound into the Blue one or the Railfreight, I will need the Blue one sooner than the Railfreight, but that one would be right on Deesdale Road.

With all this CLANKING and CHUFFING going on I can't hear the sound of the track laying gang. :jester:

Any more done today Andy?

YES  :O  Just a little, I've fitted some more Magnets on the Down Main and at the end of the Coal Sidings.

I've also lined up and trimmed the next two sets of Points ready for fitting and lined up the Cattle Dock Point  ready for fitting.

Then I've been up the Club to help Peter BB get Deesdale Road ready for Stafford.

With all this CLANKING and CHUFFING going on I can't hear the sound of the track laying gang. :jester:

Any more done today Andy?

There was a song about that. Oooops, sorry, that was a chain gang :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Cheers Duncan and Mick, way BEFORE MY TIME, hahha

Anyway the plan for tomorrow is to lay the three points leading to the Down Trailing Point, Cattle Dock and Goods Shed, and if I can I might get the Goods Shed release Point laid as well, then I can get the Motors fitted to them by the weekend.

post-9335-0-94789700-1421703709_thumb.jpg

Hopefully my camera batteries will be charge by tomorrow as well.

• Like 10

With a charged battery for the camera, can we have photos of the track laying gang at work as well :jester:

Yes why not Duncan, but I'm not wearing my Hi Viz, Hard Hat, Toe tectors, Goggels, Face Mask, Gloves, :O

Have I missed anything, ahhaha :no:

Cheers Marcus, I've ordered some more Sound Chips today so I should have the Duff, a Tractor and the 31? done by weekend, then its a big weathering job before Stafford.

Not sure whether to put the 31Sound into the Blue one or the Railfreight, I will need the Blue one sooner than the Railfreight, but that one would be right on Deesdale Road.

Stick it in The blue one mate as that will be quite at home on both layouts. Plenty of blue ones still kicking about in the mid nineties. I've got a nice shot of about 4 31s in Leamington field sidings on a Saturday afternoon in 1994 prior to going out on a night ballast job. If I remember it was a big relaying job at Acocks Green. There's at least one blue one in the line up along with a Railfreight Construction liveried one. I'll dig it out tomorrow and pop it on my thread.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1