RMweb

I'm a great fan of the hot glue gun, especially for scenic supports. Although my tops will be paper-covered balsa the supports will be card. A local Art shop gives me sack loads of mounting board offcuts, which are ideal for many purposes and will be used for the platforms. 

Sometimes the off-cuts are quite large. When a decent size piece is mounted there is a large rectangle as waste. This is chamfered edge-wise, of course, but is still an excellent source. If anyone has a local Art shop - particularly if you have dealings with them as I do, try asking, and offer to purchase. The greedy ones might charge a small amount, but many might be free. It is top quality material, always with one white side, so it's worth a try.

OT: Mick, anyone, dumb me must have pressed a button that enables the tiny blue rectangle to appear, which deletes everything in advance of itself. I've just had it for a couple of days and it's a real pain! :( I've been trying to correct something in this sentence but it deletes the letter it appears on... (I shouldn't be allowed near a PC)

Hal

Sent you email Tony

You are welcome to the manshed any time. Marmite and sausage sandwhiches on the menu. I too like some sound when I am working on the layout, a good bit of Riot Grrl or Rockabilly are my faves at the moment. Sometimes some old fashoned punk or shoestare.

Good choices Clive, Marmite (and cheese spead sandwiches), sausages and Rockabilly.

Country Rock playing here, Bellamy Brothers and DJ Otzi at the moment.

• Like 3

Hi I'm new to this, but have dilligently read through all 183 pages to date. Even when the end seemed to keep moving away, with all the posts coming in.

I was attracted by the fact the Bitton was only 2 stations away from my boyhood "local" ie Mangotsfield. And a couple of recent sub-topics took me back to those memories from when I was about 10 or 12 years old.

Almost as clear now in my mind was the recollection of listening to 8fs slogging up through Warmley and across syston common, towards Westerleigh, at about 10pm on a Wednesday evening. It may well have run every evening, but I was only awake that late on Weds after scouts! I only saw the train once, 48760 on I think a Bath - Westerleigh mineral working. It passed Warmley at walking pace and I swear it was audible from around Bitton, pretty much all the way to Westerleigh.

The other memory that I hope to have reawakened was my early days out train spotting Mangotsfield to Temple Meads childs day return 10d always in a Southern green 3 coach set hauled by Std 3 tank usually 82004 , 82001 was the other regular in 1965. (Does anybody know what these coaches were, are they available rtr?).

What I won't expect Andy is to find the blackberries I was fed to keep me quiet in as a 4 yr old when in his charge on the footpath across the Mangotsfiel platform ends. Although with that reputation for grass????

Keep up the good progress so far

TONY

• Like 11

Hi I'm new to this, but have dilligently read through all 183 pages to date. Even when the end seemed to keep moving away, with all the posts coming in.

I was attracted by the fact the Bitton was only 2 stations away from my boyhood "local" ie Mangotsfield. And a couple of recent sub-topics took me back to those memories from when I was about 10 or 12 years old.

Almost as clear now in my mind was the recollection of listening to 8fs slogging up through Warmley and across syston common, towards Westerleigh, at about 10pm on a Wednesday evening. It may well have run every evening, but I was only awake that late on Weds after scouts! I only saw the train once, 48760 on I think a Bath - Westerleigh mineral working. It passed Warmley at walking pace and I swear it was audible from around Bitton, pretty much all the way to Westerleigh.

The other memory that I hope to have reawakened was my early days out train spotting Mangotsfield to Temple Meads childs day return 10d always in a Southern green 3 coach set hauled by Std 3 tank usually 82004 , 82001 was the other regular in 1965. (Does anybody know what these coaches were, are they available rtr?).

What I won't expect Andy is to find the blackberries I was fed to keep me quiet in as a 4 yr old when in his charge on the footpath across the Mangotsfiel platform ends. Although with that reputation for grass????

TONY

Great place for your first post Tony, I'm sure Andy will relish the thought of someone with local knowledge appearing through the steam :sungum:

TONY

Hi Tony, Welcome to Bitton the Model, not an accurate copy but just a likeness, I will re create the 8F on the Minerals on Video over the weekend for you, unfortunately I'm still a little short of length until I can connect it all up so it will be a short one I'm afraid.

Its really good to have another Local man on board, Brett, (Beejay) is fairly near and managed to get some nice photos of the Cherry Garden Lane Bridge from the Cycle Path under it.

I hope you stay on board for the ride, there wont be any more Sausage discussions to distract the thread, but no doubt other Lunesters will lead you astray. 

On that point, you will see that the Layout is Listed under Lunesters, well this is a group of Like Minded Nutters that meet for general conversation about almost anything from Music to Gardening or any other Hobby, Pastime, Sport etc. and was originally set up by Jeff, (Physicsman) and can be found under the title of Lunester Lounge, which is in the Settle and Carlisle section, under Special Interests, you will be made most welcome there as well.

Its worth checking out Post #1 in the Lunester Lounge.

Thanks for joining in and sharing your memories.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

This afternoon I have done some more work on the Main / Down Platform and whilst that was drying I decided to weather some of the Blue Fleet. I had to do some Steam Locos for  friend and I will post some pics of those in a mo,

post-9335-0-03663000-1423243263_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70143700-1423243280_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94172200-1423243294_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68027700-1423243308_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01712500-1423243338_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10953500-1423243352_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11759600-1423243368_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-47953000-1423243387_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-51728500-1423243412_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76954500-1423243425_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Andy,

I trust you are well.

I really should weather some of my pristine locos but am scared stiff of messing things up.  I once tried a diluted wash of acrylic paint of varying degrees of strength on some Hornby CCTs as a bit of a trial but gained no confidence from that exercise.  I don't have an air brush and I have no inclination of purchasing one (difficult to justify the expense - they ain't cheap by the time you've factored in a decent compressor).  I'd appreciate your advice.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Andy,

I trust you are well.

I really should weather some of my pristine locos but am scared stiff of messing things up.  I once tried a diluted wash of acrylic paint of varying degrees of strength on some Hornby CCTs as a bit of a trial but gained no confidence from that exercise.  I don't have an air brush and I have no inclination of purchasing one (difficult to justify the expense - they ain't cheap by the time you've factored in a decent compressor).  I'd appreciate your advice.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian, my set up was really cheap, about £49 plus postage for this Air Brush and Baby Elephant Compressor

Ideal for weathering, its listed as a Nail painting Air Brush for Ladies finger nails, so is quite fine and controllable.

post-9335-0-97950000-1423248065_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Brian, my set up was really cheap, about £49 plus postage for this Air Brush and Baby Elephant Compressor

Ideal for weathering, its listed as a Nail painting Air Brush for Ladies finger nails, so is quite fine and controllable.

attachicon.gifAir Brush and Compressor.jpg

I suppose I could always tell SWMBO that it doubles as a nail sprayer  :jester:  :jester: .

Seriously, thanks Andy, I'll think about that one but might try some of the weathering powders before going down the airbrush route.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

I suppose I could always tell SWMBO that it doubles as a nail sprayer  :jester:  :jester: .

Seriously, thanks Andy, I'll think about that one but might try some of the weathering powders before going down the airbrush route.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian, I forgot to say that it came from Everything Airbrush in Poole, Dorset.

No connection

• Like 1

That airbrush is very interesting Andy - what's the source?

The weathering is brilliant. Would that airbrush be suitable for painting the base colour on wagons (any colour as long as it's GWR grey!!!)?

Brian, I forgot to say that it came from Everything Airbrush in Poole, Dorset.

No connection

You beat me to part of the answer to my question!

That airbrush is very interesting Andy - what's the source?

The weathering is brilliant. Would that airbrush be suitable for painting the base colour on wagons (any colour as long as it's GWR grey!!!)?

You beat me to part of the answer to my question!

Hi Steve, I see no reason why it wouldn't Paint your Wagon, It will cover well when weathering, This 9F was SHINY BLACK PLASTIC.

post-9335-0-16317300-1423252264_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Steve, I see no reason why it wouldn't Paint your Wagon, It will cover well when weathering, This 9F was SHINY BLACK PLASTIC.

attachicon.gifweathered OO locos 016.JPG

I love to see nicely weathered Railroad 9Fs - I've one, waiting. But Andy... All those weathered blue diesels... My wallet is positively weeping - and my green diesels are looking very nervous indeed!

Hal

• Like 1

I love to see nicely weathered Railroad 9Fs - I've one, waiting. But Andy... All those weathered blue diesels... My wallet is positively weeping - and my green diesels are looking very nervous indeed!

Hal

Hi Mate, just waiting to get sound into the second 20 and the 37 and I'm all done apart from maybe a 56 when I can find a Blue one.

Then I NEED some more Duff's in Large Logo, I had a Vi Trains one some while ago and then went and sold it because didn't think I was going down this route, WILL I ever learn?

• Like 2

Andy - fantastic weathering, shame about those enormous Kadees though....however, needs must, there's been a whole thread about tension-locks and the alternatives. There are some smaller magnetic knuckle couplers around (Accumate scale HO) I tried some standard HO and they mate with Kadees and Bachmann EZ Mates.

Andy - fantastic weathering, shame about those enormous Kadees though....however, needs must, there's been a whole thread about tension-locks and the alternatives. There are some smaller magnetic knuckle couplers around (Accumate scale HO) I tried some standard HO and they mate with Kadees and Bachmann EZ Mates.

Hi Jeff, yes the Kadee's are big but I still prefer both the look and action of Kadee's over the old hook and bar. I've not seen Accumate ones, I'll look them up.

Hi Mate, just waiting to get sound into the second 20 and the 37 and I'm all done apart from maybe a 56 when I can find a Blue one.

Then I NEED some more Duff's in Large Logo, I had a Vi Trains one some while ago and then went and sold it because didn't think I was going down this route, WILL I ever learn?

I had several Vi Trains sector 37s once. I sold them because I was nervous of a time-wasting sideways pull. I wish I'd kept them for a shunting plank. I've still one Bachmann coal sector 37 which trundles around the layout with a few hoppers, occasionally. It's quiet because I pinched its noise for a green 37. :blush:

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 2

Morning Bodger.

All those blue diesels reminds me of Eastleigh in the 70s where you could see up to 20 at a time just parked in the yard, great stuff, are you going to put sound in all of them ?

Jealous George ..

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I could have done with a double like for the western steamers.

Haven't you done a video on weathering? I know there was some articles in the Railway Modeller, and the ones of the scenery and backscene on Trebudoc.

Don

• Like 2

I had several Vi Trains sector 37s once. I sold them because I was nervous of a time-wasting sideways pull. I wish I'd kept them for a shunting plank. I've still one Bachmann coal sector 37 which trundles around the layout with a few hoppers, occasionally. It's quiet because I pinched its noise for a green 37. :blush:

Hal

Morning Hal, it seems a lot of people do that, you see a lot of EX sound locos on E-BAY for sale, at least you can change it back if you want to.

I have a Blue and a Green 25 both with sound, but I also have a SPARE Blue body, so its only a couple of mins work to swap the Blue onto the green on for yet another Blue one to the Fleet.

I really would stick with genuine Kadees if you require reliability and resilience - they do a smaller HO "scale"  head if you prefer something smaller

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have loads of Kadee's and I do like them, I need to have a sort out of the fixed rakes once I have the Storage Yard laid and al the stock out of their boxes.

• Like 1