Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby VIX Ferry Vans. Detailing and the new Railtec Transfers (post #68).

• RMweb Premium

Phil.

Yes I have.

The layout these will operate on has curves not tighter than 48" radius.

Dave.

I am going to do the same on mine, I'm also going to replace the 'train set' couplings with something a bit smaller such as the Bachmann couplings or the old Airfix couplings of which I have a supply.

I am going to do the same on mine, I'm also going to replace the 'train set' couplings with something a bit smaller such as the Bachmann couplings or the old Airfix couplings of which I have a supply.

Whilst I would agree that there is no need for the single-axle 'bogies' when negotiating curves as tight as even 30" radius, I would suggest that some measure of compensation is useful on vehicles with such a long fixed wheelbase. To this end, on some chassis, I have retained the flexible mounting, but fixed bits of plastic card on either side so the unit can rock but not turn. On others, I've got rid of all the Hornby bogie and mountings, bar the sideframes, and used MJT (or similar) compensation units.

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant!  The picture of the black van in post #36 clears up a query of mine re said vehicle.  I started a thread in June last year in 'prototype questions' to see whether anybody could positively identify the black ferry van that used to hang around in the vicinity of the exhibition train stock at Salisbury in the late '70s/early '80s.  A couple of members on here were kind enough to supply the number 21-70 214 0 144-3 (also S99648 and previously B787017) for the vehicle at Salisbury: the picture  appears to show the same vehicle, judging by the number.  On that basis I agree that the van was indeed black.  I had assumed (always dangerous...) that the livery was a local application at Salisbury, presumably to tidy up a scruffy vehicle.  However, from the picture the livery appears to pre-date its period with the exhibition train.  I feel a model coming on.....

Incidentally I am also fiddling with a Hornby VIX.   I have made the chassis rigid, replaced the wheels, added some additional weight and fitted Kaydee No 26 couplings, all of which has resulted in a sweet running chassis: I have not had any issues going through my point work or (limited) curves to date.  I just need to extract a digit and get on with the body-shell now!.....this thread has reinvigorated my interest in the model, so who knows?! 

Thanks Chaps. 

Kind Regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

One of the EMGauge70 chaps has done a very good upgrade of the Hornby VIX: www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb94.html including the Balls of Steel widening by 0.8mm to fix the underwidth of the Hornby body!

Edited by CloggyDeux

• 5 weeks later...

I have just added an album showing the underframe details mainly of these VIX wagons on my Flickr site after a visit to Quainton.

Don't forget to make the transfers in 7mm as well, well you never know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/sets/72157647819117132/

That's brilliant, Brian. Thanks.

I used to do this for SR EMUs. Thank goodness someone does it for freight stock.

Much appreciated.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Design work has started on these packs and we hope to be releasing them over the coming weeks. As ever, we do have to consistently juggle priorities - not just with other packs that people have asked for, one-off jobs (some of which can be quite challenging and extremely time-consuming), meeting demands of bulk requirements of some kit builders, working with magazines and of course keeping the catalog reasonably updated. Simply put, there are never enough hours in the day but we're well aware of the interest in the VIX packs so rest assured we're as keen to push them over the line as the good folks here. As soon as there is some solid movement we'll report back. Watch this space and thanks to all for the patience.

Hi guys.

A gentle prod to Railtec.

Any news on some transfers for these vans yet, please?

Cheers

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Design work has started on these packs and we hope to be releasing them over the coming weeks. As ever, we do have to consistently juggle priorities - not just with other packs that people have asked for, one-off jobs (some of which can be quite challenging and extremely time-consuming), meeting demands of bulk requirements of some kit builders, working with magazines and of course keeping the catalog reasonably updated. Simply put, there are never enough hours in the day but we're well aware of the interest in the VIX packs so rest assured we're as keen to push them over the line as the good folks here. As soon as there is some solid movement we'll report back. Watch this space and thanks to all for the patience.

I've ordered many of your excellent decals in the past are these going to be available in 2mm as well?

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.

A gentle prod to Railtec.

Any news on some transfers for these vans yet, please?

Cheers

Dave.

Finally picking back up on this thread, we're now starting to release transfer packs as requested for these ferry vans. First out of the blocks is the early BR (pre-RIV numbers) pack in 4mm:

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1738

6911-1.jpg

Hopefully this covers all the markings for the initial batch, compiled with the extremely informative info provided by Jon Hall.

We can hear many people shouting, "What about the later versions with the flying crate / Through To The Continent / other scales" etc... Fear not! These will follow, but we had to start somewhere and logically we decided to start at the beginning :)

Thanks,

Steve

Railtec Transfers

• Like 3

Finally picking back up on this thread, we're now starting to release transfer packs as requested for these ferry vans. First out of the blocks is the early BR (pre-RIV numbers) pack in 4mm:

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1738

6911-1.jpg

Hopefully this covers all the markings for the initial batch, compiled with the extremely informative info provided by Jon Hall.

We can hear many people shouting, "What about the later versions with the flying crate / Through To The Continent / other scales" etc... Fear not! These will follow, but we had to start somewhere and logically we decided to start at the beginning :)

Thanks,

Steve

Railtec Transfers

This is  great news and thanks to Railtec for giving us what we needed.

As the original poster on this subject, it is truly pleasing that these transfers will help a lot of modellers out.

I'll make a small change to the title heading to reflect the new product.

When both are available, I'll put my order in.

Cheers to all at Railtec.

Dave Smith

• Like 1