• RMweb Gold

To my knowledge at least one Hymek acquired transfer numbers at one end on one side as a result of collision damage.

Agreed. 7017 received a repaint and transfer numbers in 1974. I photographed it inside the Factory at Old Oak Common, but unfortunately I've just discovered the negative has yet to be scanned. I'll try to do it a.s.a.p.

• RMweb Gold

D837 Ramillies Newton Abbott 23/8/69.

Full copyright for £3 one of a few classic slides I picked up this week including a couple of 22s, they're watermarked and will need to rescan.

post-6925-0-71593900-1434313322_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 12

Full copyright for £3 one of a few classic slides I picked up this week including a couple of 22s, they're watermarked and will need to rescan.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

I wonder if that date is correct?

I was on St Davids that day and my notebook does have D837, but on 1A36 the 1046 Newton Abbot to Paddington.

I can't guarantee that my notes are correct mind you, but I looked on the archive weather pages and I would have thought there might have been some sunshine on the 23rd as well.

I can't guarantee that my notes are correct mind you, but I looked on the archive weather pages and I would have thought there might have been some sunshine on the 23rd as well.

What was 2C25 (assuming the headcode is correct)?

Sometimes loco and coaches sets worked a  morning Newton Abbot - Paignton - Newton Abbot shuttle before a long distance working.

Could this be an early morning shot?

cheers

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

I may have mentioned this before, but for a time during the morning of 23rd Aug 1969 there seemed to be big problems for up services in the Newton Abbot area.

I normally caught the Devonian from Paignton, but had problems of my own at the ticket barrier as the man said he was not allowing anyone on the platform without a seat reservation/regulation ticket, and I only had a cheap area Runabout weekly ticket. However, according to how I had read the timetable the rules of seat regulation/reservation only applied to passengers travelling beyond Exeter, and after explaining that and with him not wanting to alienate the queue which was building up behind me, he let me on the station.

I remember that it was a long train and I walked right through the carriages to the last one and sat in the last group of four seats with a table. At Newton Abbot the station seemed to be heaving and suddenly the train became almost full. Once everyone was squeezed into every available seat we expected to depart, but didn't; and the train remained stationary for about 15-20 minutes.

My notes show that I saw things that I should not have done (thanks to Martin Street for details of workings). For instance, I have D807 noted down, although the loco was working the 0740 Plymouth to Newcastle as far as Bristol, and should have been long gone by the time I arrived.

I have looked through magazines for details of what the problem might have been, but to no avail so far.

• RMweb Gold

The stock for 1A36 came in as the 09.15 Plymouth to Newton Abbot.... just waiting for confirmation of the headcode from Mr. Street as he has my 69-70 WTT's on loan...

Yep 2C25 was the 09:15 SO from Plymouth in 1969/70. Train looks to be entering Platform 4 at south end of station.

Many thanks John, your post is appreciated. Whilst I'm certainly no expert on copyright law, yes I think you're right you can download images to keep for personal use. In any case if that's not right, anyone from RMweb I'm very happy for them to download any of my images, and wherever a request is made I'm happy to email a higher resolution scan.

Neil

hi guys, i am also guilty of this, if i share the fantastic pics i always credit the photographer (hope its ok). thanks

• RMweb Gold

I was involved in a frenetic series of bids last night on some superb hydraulic images that have appeared on eBay over the last few weeks. Unfortunately I lost all but one I bid on, all late 60s/early 70s. A copyright slide of a class 22 went for £50! Super examples included double headed Warships on the 1968 accelerated timetable London services, Hymek/Western double heads, and (last week) an example of Westerns being hauled to Swindon, hauled by D1040. This last one throws the dates of arrival of some Westerns at Swindon for disposal out, at least one of them I think was D1069. The slide was dated 29th November 1975. If you won them feel free to post in this thread ;).

I've postponed my scanner repair until later in the summer as a few recent loco purchases (Dapol Western chassis for my D1065 project, another Dapol Western and a class 16) has meant I'm under strict instructions from the missus to clear the credit card in the next month! However, batch 2 of my collection will come later this year with some luck.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile one of the ten or so that I won, and not watermarked I'd post the rest if they didn't have the watermark.

D841 Roebuck at Newton Abbot, 20th August 1969.

post-6925-0-72216600-1435819233_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 10

What a lovely shot, and as I remember only vague details of that day the photo helps with my knowledge of what Newton Abbot was like a few hours before I tried to bunk the shed but got kicked out while half way round and threatened with a visit from the police. 

I never saw D841 that day although I did see D842 which was in store at the time and one that I needed.

I wonder where D841 was going? By the looks of the shadows the shot was taken midday-early afternoon.

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely shot, and as I remember only vague details of that day the photo helps with my knowledge of what Newton Abbot was like a few hours before I tried to bunk the shed but got kicked out while half way round and threatened with a visit from the police. 

I never saw D841 that day although I did see D842 which was in store at the time and one that I needed.

I wonder where D841 was going? By the looks of the shadows the shot was taken midday-early afternoon.

I suspect it was heading to shed - it appears to be driven from the back cab (naughty!) so is unlikely to be either heading off towards Paignton or Plymouth but has arrived from one of those directions and is now crossing to the Downside preparatory to going on shed as there does not appear to be any stock standing open anywhere for it to work away,