Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

I made a reference to wanting to use the correct head codes wherever possible.  Pending a source of head (and tail) lamps, I have put up an official notice in the shed to help the operational staff (i.e. me :jester:) get it right.

post-1115-0-81066600-1451416002_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

Morning Brian,

I like the brake tender, but have to agree on the weathering requirement!

You may have read it elsewhere, but I'll be 'off-air' for a day or so from late tomorrow as I have to be at Colchester General at 7am on the 31st for a hernia operation. Apparently I should be out again on the same day but I'm not sure how debilitating it will be as its 'open' surgery under a full anaesthetic!

Happy New Year my friend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Morning Brian,

I like the brake tender, but have to agree on the weathering requirement!

You may have read it elsewhere, but I'll be 'off-air' for a day or so from late tomorrow as I have to be at Colchester General at 7am on the 31st for a hernia operation. Apparently I should be out again on the same day but I'm not sure how debilitating it will be as its 'open' surgery under a full anaesthetic!

Happy New Year my friend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

All the very best to you Jock. Yes they don't keep you in long these days. A friend of my daughter had a baby by C section - out the same day. Hope all goes well for you and all the very best for the new year and beyond.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

No, I think by and large, your trains look really attractive running as clean units, even if it was becoming rarer to see them like that in reality. It's just the brake tender that looks a bit odd in a clean condition. I suppose I never saw a clean one, although the diesels could be quite decent. It's a lovely model and I would think the sort of thing that could become a collectors item, so needs careful treatment. Why not get some pastel chalk from an art shop, say black and umber brown, rub on emery paper and sprinkle the dust over the brake body, then dry brush over? If you don't like it, it will wash off with soapy water, and no harm done.

• Like 3

No, I think by and large, your trains look really attractive running as clean units, even if it was becoming rarer to see them like that in reality. It's just the brake tender that looks a bit odd in a clean condition. I suppose I never saw a clean one, although the diesels could be quite decent. It's a lovely model and I would think the sort of thing that could become a collectors item, so needs careful treatment. Why not get some pastel chalk from an art shop, say black and umber brown, rub on emery paper and sprinkle the dust over the brake body, then dry brush over? If you don't like it, it will wash off with soapy water, and no harm done.

Excellent suggestion Northroader - I'll definitely give that a try.

Regards,

Brian.

Brian,

Sorry about the late ratings but I'm struggling to get to sleep and so catching up on what I've missed!

Look forward to the next episode,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Dear Jock,

Nice to hear from you again.  I popped into "Early Risers" and gleaned that your op went well.  Have a speedy and restful recovery.

Best Wishes,

Brian.

Well this is the first progress report of 2016 so Happy New Year to all who pop in here to follow my ramblings.

A small project has just about been finished which seems to have taken a disproportionate amount of time to complete.  It is supposed to represent a concrete hardstand immediately in front of the loco shed doors with the twin shed roads let into the concrete.  I think I mentioned the plastic 2 x 2 mm angle that I acquired.  This is just the right height to act as a "stock rail" when glued to the Peco sleeper tops.  Some rectangular plastic was also used to complete the "concrete shuttering" as shown.

post-1115-0-25987100-1451932923_thumb.jpg

The concrete was then mixed (store brand polyfiller) and laid thus.

post-1115-0-47324200-1451933052_thumb.jpg

This proved a somewhat messy process.  In hind sight I would have masked the surrounding area in newspaper.  The "concrete" was then painted grey to represent... erm...well...concrete!  Much rail cleaning was carried out throughout each process.

post-1115-0-72338300-1451933254_thumb.jpg

The buildings were then replaced to see how the "concrete" looked.

post-1115-0-08026200-1451933609_thumb.jpg

There is still a lot to do even in this little corner of the layout.  The small areas adjacent the "concrete" and the shed side wall are likely to be test areas for scenic treatment, grass even.

Meanwhile empty stock is removed from platform 2.

post-1115-0-61803200-1451933717_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 8

Today's progress report follows.

The Scalescenes' church kit build has commenced.  As I've said before, this will take a while to complete - 19 pages of instructions, 31 texture sheets.  One wall is coming on and I'm quite pleased with the stain glass windows - see below.

post-1115-0-09255700-1452192330_thumb.jpg

As I've said before, you can't have too many clamps!

Meanwhile, another visitor approaches the station in the form of a BR standard 5MT, somewhat grubby (standard Bachmann product, factory weathered)...

post-1115-0-07600700-1452192519_thumb.jpg

...is turned and...

post-1115-0-75271400-1452192690_thumb.jpg

...backs out of the yard onto its train.

post-1115-0-70303700-1452192781_thumb.jpg

Here is a view showing the Standard 5 awaiting departure, the station pilot hovers in platform one and spotters are in evidence on the footbridge.

post-1115-0-90262300-1452193012_thumb.jpg

Note to self: Must finish off that row of cottages!

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 7

Got to love the Scalescenes kits !! 

Yes they are great.  However, a small problem arose this afternoon - I wasn't happy with the alignment of one of the paper coverings after I had glued it to one of the card base layers so I ripped it off prior to the glue going off thinking "no problem, I'll just print off another".  Unfortunately my brain was in neutral at this time - my printer died the day before yesterday, another is on its way from Costco.  Ho hum, a few days delay then!

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Yes they are great.  However, a small problem arose this afternoon - I wasn't happy with the alignment of one of the paper coverings after I had glued it to one of the card base layers so I ripped it off prior to the glue going off thinking "no problem, I'll just print off another".  Unfortunately my brain was in neutral at this time - my printer died the day before yesterday, another is on its way from Costco.  Ho hum, a few days delay then!

Regards,

Brian.

And probably a variation in the colour shades compared to the old printer!

And probably a variation in the colour shades compared to the old printer!

Yes indeed, Ray. That thought had crossed my mind but I have no other option. If the colour difference is very noticeable I will have to scan the affected sheet and fiddle about in Photoshop to adjust the colour to match as best I can.

Regards

Brian

• Like 1

Morning Brian, The Std 5 is a stunner, I have the same one and it runs a treat, I've just had a scan back through and cant find the answer to my Question; and that is whose Turntable is that?

My Standard 5 runs a treat as well. Up until the other day it had stayed in its box for several years. With no wheel cleaning it ran superbly.

The table is standard Peco (ref no LK55). It is powered by 4 no AA batteries via a gear box and switch arrangement described in an earlier post - sorry, doing this reply on my Kindle so can't find the post number. I'll have a look later on the laptop and let you know.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Morning Brian, The Std 5 is a stunner, I have the same one and it runs a treat, I've just had a scan back through and cant find the answer to my Question; and that is whose Turntable is that?

Just on the laptop now.  Page 13 post #s 314 to 323 refer.

Regards,

Brian.

As reported yesterday, the printer is broken and another is on its way so I have an excuse to stop all work on the church until the new printer arrives.  The three main elements finished so far are shown below.  These are the main north and south walls and the chancel arch wall.

post-1115-0-35215500-1452359354_thumb.jpg

I highly recommend the local marmalade :)

post-1115-0-45409800-1452359460_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, the posty delivered the Hornby J50 that I'd ordered from rails who seem to be charging about a fiver less than anyone else.  So the fiddly bits were duly added and here she is on a short van train.

post-1115-0-63282100-1452359656_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-72091900-1452359718_thumb.jpg

I rather like the "ugly duckling" enlarged rear bunker.  This loco will be used on trip goods to and from the other smaller terminus.  My other J50 (detailed Lima body on a Bachmann GWR pannier tank chassis - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73173-j50-project/ ) will be used for station pilot and shunting duties.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 4

There is a small triangular area by the turntable which will be a bit of a test bed for the scenic treatment.  The first step was taken today to create a grassy knoll (where have I heard that before :scratchhead: ) by cutting a ceiling tile to shape with Stanley knife and attacking it with a Surform to create a low bank.  This was then glued in place - see below.

post-1115-0-27551900-1452444127_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, white polystyrene does not photograph too well but I hope you can see what's been done.  This will be coated with filler hopefully tomorrow, then painted earth colour prior to adding the grass.

Meanwhile, to celebrate the fact that the NRM's Flying Scotsman is now back in steam, class mate 60073 St Gatien has visited, shown here arriving...

post-1115-0-98444600-1452444499_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-52787600-1452444569_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-24362000-1452444645_thumb.jpg

...and departing.

post-1115-0-30814800-1452444740_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-34098100-1452444785_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4