Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

Coming along nicely.

A thought on the concrete apron- that grey looks a little new laid and still wet, at least to my eyes.  Have you thought of using Tamiya "Deck tan" as a concrete shade (not "Wooden deck tan" which is a different colour entirely).  The lineside hut on Hawthorn Dene will give you an idea of what shade it dries to.

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

Coming along nicely.

A thought on the concrete apron- that grey looks a little new laid and still wet, at least to my eyes.  Have you thought of using Tamiya "Deck tan" as a concrete shade (not "Wooden deck tan" which is a different colour entirely).  The lineside hut on Hawthorn Dene will give you an idea of what shade it dries to.

All the very best

Les

Thanks for the suggestion Les, I'll check that out.

Regards,

Brian.

Evening Brian,

Just catching up mate, still recuperating!

Like Andy, I thought the Standard5 looks absolutely superb. Obviously you'll be weathering the cocrrete eventually, but I like the method you used, very clever and well worth copying with your permission.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

And probably a variation in the colour shades compared to the old printer!

Well, the new Epson printer arrived today and I'm very pleased with it but as Ray rightly suggested there is indeed a colour difference.  I reprinted the required Scalescenes sheet and there wasn't enough green in it when compared to the sheets already printed on the Canon which went belly up last week.  So I scanned the same sheet on the new device and fiddled with it in Photoshop Elements.  After various failed fiddles I eventually found that by adjusting the tint in the green direction slightly I got a close enough match.  Fortunately it is only the single sheet of texture that needed to be reprinted (so far), all the other textures were already printed from the Canon.  I'll have to be careful with these.

The "grassy knoll" has been covered with filler.  I'll smooth it with a damp sponge tomorrow and paint it earth colour.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Evening Brian,

Like Andy, I thought the Standard5 looks absolutely superb. Obviously you'll be weathering the cocrrete eventually, but I like the method you used, very clever and well worth copying with your permission.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Good Evening Jock,

I have been following your recuperation on Early Risers - keep up the good work.

If I recall, the 5MT has a Scottish shed plate - I'll double check tomorrow and let you know.  Bought for my previous layout, the loco brought parcels trains down from Scotland down to the North east (my excuse anyway for purchasing a super loco).

Nothing is copyright on my thread so feel free to copy.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Evening Brian,

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

I have had another look at the Bachmann (ref 32-505) 5MT 73069 and the shed plate is 17A Derby so I was speaking out of the wrong orifice in my earlier post - my wife says I do that a lot.  Having checked my shed allocations booklet, it was allocated there in 1954 and still there a year later.  In 1959 it was at 55A Leeds Holbeck, in 1963 at 15E Leicester (ex GC), 2A Tyseley/Stratford-on-Avon in 1966 and 9K Bolton in 1967/68 from where it was withdrawn.

I really don't know where I got the idea from that this was a Scottish loco.  I can only assume I was misinformed by the model press at the time of purchase.

A nice loco though and a big class, many sent north of the border it seems.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Work on the church continues.  It is becoming a bit of a drudge - there are so many parts to cut out but I'm sticking with it.

In parallel with this, the grassy knoll has turned out rather well I think.  Following a coat of filler, smoothed off with a sponge before fully hardened, the land form was painted with a matt earth acrylic.

post-1115-0-70754400-1452884847_thumb.jpg

Next, once the paint had dried, a further coat of PVA was added and green scatter stuff was sprinkled over the glue and allowed to dry.  Then, the new gizmo was given its first airing - the static grass applicator.  This was the result.

post-1115-0-49020600-1452885157_thumb.jpg

For a first attempt at static grass I'm happy with the outcome - learning a lot in my old age.  There is definitely a nice "hairy" appearance and you can actually stroke it and feel the fibres sticking up.  The only problems I had were...

1. I used an over long panel pin for the anode (cathode?) hammered into the area being grassed and could not get low enough with the applcator without sparks flying between the two!
  2. I found the fibres difficult to see falling from the "tea strainer" and therefore spread them over perhaps too wide an area to ensure adequate coverage.  These had to be hoovered up afterwards (stocking over nozzle to save them).

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 6

I wouldn't worry too much about having to hoover up surplus scatter.  Whatever method you use there is always some that gets beyond the edges of the glue or is slightly too thickly applied to find enough glue to stick.

Looks nice.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about having to hoover up surplus scatter.  Whatever method you use there is always some that gets beyond the edges of the glue or is slightly too thickly applied to find enough glue to stick.

Looks nice.

All the very best

Les

Thanks, Les.  By the way I picked up some Tamiya Deck Tan in Hobbycraft yesterday so I will try your suggestion on the concrete hard stand.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

I'm spending all my spare time trying to get the church finished.  Today, I managed to finish the tower completely.  Here are a couple of pics I look this morning to celebrate getting the main structure of the tower all glued together.  It is posed here still incomplete on the living room table with the other main structural elements all leaning up against each other...

post-1115-0-57624700-1453229278_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-59716200-1453229358_thumb.jpg

..and shortly after I couldn't resist taking all the constituent parts out to the shed and posing them in the church's intended position, firstly on elevated ground (a layer of 25 mm thick insulation) slightly above platform level...

post-1115-0-38932200-1453229527_thumb.jpg

..and then erected directly on the baseboard top.

post-1115-0-11967000-1453229664_thumb.jpg

It's a big beast and somewhat dominates the adjoining station so I'm inclined to leave it at baseboard level.  The church tower does hide the backscene corner of the layout at this location (as does the loco shed at the opposite corner) as was the intention.  The backscene will have to be made higher in this area as well, that pictured is just the tryout version.  Once the various surrounding scenics have been added and completed I think it will look acceptable.  The family are certainly impressed with the church kit - it does look mightily impressive but a lot of hours have gone into it and there's still quite a few more involved in getting the roof on.  I spent probably about 5 hours yesterday making the 7 no. buttresses for the church tower, each comprising 4 base layers of 2 mm card with various paper overlays, and making the 4 tower walls.  But I do recommend the kit to anyone interested in building it.  The effort is well worth while in my opinion.

Regards,

Brian.

EDIT: Apologies for the substandard camera phone pics and the fact that all four platforms were "occupied".  It looks much better in the flesh, honestly :)

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 6

I do like the Church in the corner Brian, fits in well.

I think that the church works well

Thanks chaps.  The church gives me the opportunity to model gravestones ( :angel: ) and perhaps a wedding party cameo :)

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 3

I've given the church a rest today (so to speak :) ) and have done a little bit on the scenic side instead.

Firstly I've added some red lamps to the platform buffer stops.

post-1115-0-56872100-1453310772_thumb.jpg

The "travelling public" look unimpressed.  However, there are some railings to erect in ths area to improve passenger safety.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the station I have repainted the concrete shed apron as suggested by Les1952.

post-1115-0-38239000-1453311124_thumb.jpg

While I was doing that, I felt another grassy knoll coming on :)

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

That apron is much more a "set" concrete colour.  You'll be able to see the effects of weathering it now (or when weathering hits the top of the "to do" list- I'm still ticking things off from the Hawthorn Dene "to do" list of 12 months ago....).

All the very best.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3

Progress on the church continues albeit slowly.  The main structure is complete, only the roof remains to be added.  The instructions say glue the main walls, tower, etc to "the baseboard".  Instead, I cut a piece of thin ply and painted the outer edges grey so that the church can be removed/replaced on the layout as necessary.  Here is another view of it in position near the station building with the platforms empty.

post-1115-0-88368700-1453747332_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the second grassy knoll has been completed and the "concrete" hardstanding outside the loco shed has been expanded.

post-1115-0-12276100-1453747589_thumb.jpg

Thoughts are turning to railway boundary walls and/or fences, especially by the church/platform 1 boundary and around the loco shed but there is also a pressing need to lay more track in the station area so I can finalise bridge abutment positions and build the bridge deck.  The old layout also needs to be packed away to make room for the other side of the U shape track plan comprising the secondary BLT and the fiddle yard.

Lots to do.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 5

Yaeh!  The church is complete after the best part of 3 weeks, although as you have guessed I don't work full time on this project.  Rain prevented me carrying it out to the shed so I took a couple of pics on my work bench the living room table.

post-1115-0-62793700-1453919686_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-79418600-1453919721_thumb.jpg

I will probably concentrate on the scenics around the church next.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 9

Great job, looks like quite an impressive building. 

Thanks thebritfarmer.  It certainly is big.  The stained glass windows are crying out for some interior lighting which is a job for the future.

Its getting better by the Day, fantastic work mate.

Thanks Andy - getting there slowly.  The two days a week grandchild minding have now kicked in so time is limited.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 2

Yesterday I spent a little time on the laptop generating a TurboCAD design drawing for the boundary wall between platform 1 road and the church yard.  This was the result.

post-1115-0-42676300-1454177139_thumb.jpg

This was duly glued to a piece of 2 mm thick card (greyboard) and the various pieces were cut out and laminated together and covered or wrapped in stone (ashlar) texture sheet - two layers of card for the walls and three layers for the piers.  Some Peco fencing was also used thus.

post-1115-0-38476100-1454177473_thumb.jpg

And in close up...

post-1115-0-14328700-1454177524_thumb.jpg

It's about half complete but I'm quite pleased with the how it's going.

Regards,

Brian.